AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale

+19
RetrospectKustoms
bennyg
ourcircus
Shunter
nosaj76
silverfox
slowlylearning
zenrat
ChevyFan
Clutch
checkmate
ShawnS
aussie muscle
VintageJDM
blatdriver
mgy125
dv8v8
truges
codea
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale

Post by codea Sat 01 Sep 2018, 10:15 pm

And a reasonable night's work started o the floor pan. Once completed, I cover it with the foil that comes from Milo tins. So I'm encouraging my kids to drink the stuff as fast as I can. Apologies for the upside down image

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_1517

codea
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale

Post by codea Sun 02 Sep 2018, 1:29 pm

So this is the process I am going through for the chassis floor pan. I build up the various dents and floorpan  structures in styrene, then cover in heavy foil (from beofr mentioned Milo tins. Then once covered I can smooth out with primer a little, and then it will be onto the rough surfacing

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_1529
Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_1520
Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_1528

codea
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by chromecop Fri 28 Sep 2018, 3:29 pm

I just love this kind of workmanship! AMAZING !!!!
chromecop
chromecop
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by codea Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:00 pm

Update. Firstly Thanks to Darryl, the positive feedback is really nice, so thanks. I've done some more on the chassis. It has been a really steep learning curve, and I broke one of the engine rails ( I have no idea if that is what they are called  Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Shocked), but you can get a sense of where I am going with this. Once I have the second rail re installed, I can shape the engine bay curving up from underneath the chassis. 

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_0047

Then I moved on to the engine block. Again I learned so much from this experience, and I have just got something to show for quite a lot of effort. The Gemini's have had such a variety of engines that it was almost impossible to decide. In the end I went with a newish G180 engine with a SOHC manifold. An older style oil sump, and a fairly standard rocker cover. However this maybe completely wrong for anyone out there with an idea of what went on under the hood of these things. I've just collected reference photos from every hot 4 Oz Gemini and NZ Gemini enthusiast site I could. I then have just cut and shaped and sanded and re cut and re shaped and re sanded. 

Any way here they are for you to see.

First up is the engine block. So far I have done the exhaust side of the block. There are some gaps in the bracing of the block that I will hopefully be able to fill in without losing too much detail. I even tried to get the little isuzu logo onto the block. Hard to see but at least it is there. Mind you I am about to start self photo etch design for some of this stuff, so that should be one of the things that I could design using that process. 

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_0040

Next up the manifold. I've drilled out the spark plug holes, not for spark plugs themselves but just to get the angle right, the drill bit created the right shape. Exhaust manifold connections are only just added with further work -  and again maybe some photo etch to go here as well. 

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_0044

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_0043

The next step was the rocker cover. I learned to measure better because it can just be seen where I had to cut and add a section because I made it too short the first time doh! 

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_0042

And finally the oil sump. A joy of cut and fill, sand and shape, and repeat a few times ( lost count at 5) to get to this stage. Glued to a toothpick so I can spray primer on it to see where the flaws are. 

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_0045

And a shot with it all just sitting together on the hood of the body. It looks vaguely right, enough for me to be encouraged to keep going. 

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG_0046

So I'm hoping to learn new skills as I go, photo etching at home to get the Isuzu imprint in the rocker cover, etc and also casting - because I'd like to make a few versions of the engine, and have ambitions for other engine blocks like the more modern G200 block etc. But that's a fair way off yet. 

Cheers

codea
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by chromecop Mon 01 Oct 2018, 7:24 am

"I broke one of the engine rails ( I have no idea if that is what they are called Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Shocked)"

In the US they call it subframe IIRC. One again, truly stunning work, keep it up !!!
chromecop
chromecop
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by codea Sun 21 Oct 2018, 6:06 pm

so I've spent a bit of time going cross eyed and finishing off the manifold for the engine. Here's an image of the three components tacked together.

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG-0124

I went back to the underbody. I wrestled with plastic to to try and get the shape of the engine rails but no matter how hard I tried I just kept snapping plastic.

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG-0114

So in a spot of inspiration I hit my local hobby store - big shout out to the lasd at ModelsandHobbies4U in Boronia they are great and they live their motto of service first. Anyway, I grabbed some 2mm square brass, and finally was able to get the shapes i wanted.

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG-0115

How you ask? I built and designed a sophisticated bending jig that I am sure you will all rush out and replicate............

Scratch Building TE Gemini 1/24 th scale - Page 3 IMG-0119

Yep that's it.

Next time I will hopefully have the underbody in a shape to try to cast. Same with the body, but these are the steps that I am nervous about.

codea
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse Tue 20 Nov 2018, 6:42 pm

this is great to watch, love it popcorn

mouse
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoey Mon 26 Nov 2018, 9:15 pm

Looking good. cant wait for more pics
Shoey
Shoey
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.championsbrockexperience.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3