AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack

+17
70cudatj
clea
DeeCee
RetrospectKustoms
truges
mouse
Cols56
Deadly
hqmon
bennyg
cruiseliner
mutley
zenrat
rwaldram
allan
scummy
Deaf as
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Empty Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack

Post by Deaf as Sat 18 Apr 2015, 5:49 pm

Hi Guys, this is on the drawing board for a wreckscue of a truck living in a box at the back of the cupboard.

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1610

Sorry about the quality of the picture, I couldn't get the scan to load so had to take a picture of the picture. It's on the back cover of Truckin' Life Big Rig book. What I'm after is a side on shot of the logo on the door so I can get decals done. Also wondering if anyone is interested in having a crack at doing the decals, if not, who do you recommend? Does anyone know if the sleeper is available anywhere? If not, what width do you think it is and I'll cut and shut something to suit. I think the tanks are different to Auslowe's square  Mack ones, they appear slimmer , B model perhaps? so I might have to make these as well. Does anyone happen to have a spare grill to suit? Hoping to have it done for the Mack muster at Wagga this year but not holding my breath if the paint puts up a fight like it did on Desperado Rolling Eyes I'll drag the old truck out and post a pic of it too. Were these trucks 5 or 6 spoke hubs on the drive and would they have that pointed hub cap?  Another photo would solve a lot of my problems - just can't find one!
Thanks for any help, comments and suggestions.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Empty Re: Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack

Post by scummy Sat 18 Apr 2015, 6:35 pm

Mate , the tanks are B model ones nigel used to have them , going from my memory the rear axles will have the pointy centre caps , and going by the 6 spider steer the drive will be 6 as well .
scummy
scummy
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://markharmer@bigpond.com

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:41 am

May have a resin grill, will see if I can find it and get back to you.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10380
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by rwaldram Sun 19 Apr 2015, 10:43 am

If you don't have any luck with Auslowe, try American Industrial Truck Models AITM site, they have a massive range of old Mack stuff, they have the correct (B Model) tanks that you need (look at their 40gallon step tanks) and the right drive hubs too. AITM have a 36" sleeper that looks like the one you need.

In the Auslowe Mack Parts page, they have B Model fuel tanks and also a listing for hubcaps DM600/800 style, these are the pointed ones that you need.

If you get onto their Facebook page (look for Auslowe Model Truck Accessories) they've been adding photos of everything over the past week, you'll be able to identify the parts you need that way.

rwaldram
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:25 pm

Ok, so here's what I've to start with.

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1613

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1614

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1615

So it looks like the rims and hubs and rear hubcaps are good. Not sure about the spread on the rear suspension. It is the camel back but it could be from the DM800 kit. Maybe this was a heavier suspension? The spread on this is about 65mm whereas the one on my Cruiseliner is about 55mm so I might have to change that out. I'll check Auslowe and AITM to see what they have, thanks rwaldram.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sun 19 Apr 2015, 1:55 pm

Have email photo of grill to you.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Sun 19 Apr 2015, 2:55 pm

As it's white lettering decals would be tricky without an ALPS printer.
There's also a lot of pin striping.  Good luck!
I like the "Hello Dere" on the front bumper.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sun 19 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

backyard shed used to do that sleeper, might find one on ebay.
that back axle looks like it may have been glued too far back???

mutley
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by scummy Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:14 pm

Yer that spread on the drive is too wide , maybe for weight distributation for float work .
Strange that real photo of the truck as it has heavy duty spiders , twin air cleaners but only single headlights ?
scummy
scummy
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:29 pm

Al -  thanks for that. I'll be in touch.
Zen - pinstriping and I have an uneasy truce, it's getting the white and blue masked with nice crisp joints that is usually the problem not to mention the clear coat which usually reacts with the decals.....
Mutley - It looks better square on but stupider things have happened. The strip down will reveal  all. Think I read somewhere that hqman on here bought some of back yard shed's moulds so I'll message him and find out.
Scummy - I just like the old school look of it. Does twin head lights indicate heavy duty?
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scummy Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:48 pm

I duno , just everytime i saw these with 6 spoke spiders and twin cleaners it had twin headlights ? Most were aimed at the interstate haulage companys .
scummy
scummy
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by rwaldram Mon 20 Apr 2015, 1:37 pm

Ahh, Scummy has just hit the nail on the head with his observation about the single headlight... it's NOT and R600. It's an RL700 (think rubber duck Mack). You might want a different bonnet too.

rwaldram
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:25 pm

Longer bonnet and V8 engine? What does the gold dog on the bonnet signify? I know there's a difference in engines to the chrome dog but don't know what it is? The explanations I've come across so far are conflicting, maybe using a reputable site would help!

Last edited by Deaf as on Mon 20 Apr 2015, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Easily distracted, only posted half of what i wanted to ask!)
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm

I've got some more conflicting news Tim. I did read something about the gold dog and the link to the engine, but early dementia symptoms have made the old memory a bit foggy, but it could have something to do with the gold maxidyne engines?????. no doubt some one will prove me wrong, or just maybe...............

mutley

Male Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:50 am

Yes, I'm nearly confident in saying the gold dog in that era truck refers to the maxidyne engine which was painted gold as well at some stage. I think if this truck was a 700 series it would have had the early 866? v8 but I've also read that they could be optioned the same as the  600 series. Don't quote me! I think I'll just build my R600 to look like this one and put it down to having custom options. With only the one pic to go from, I can live with that.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rwaldram Wed 22 Apr 2015, 9:09 am

Deaf as wrote:Longer bonnet and V8 engine? What does the gold dog on the bonnet signify? I know there's a difference in engines to the chrome dog but don't know what it is? The explanations I've come across so far are conflicting, maybe using a reputable site would help!

That's a good question, I asked a mate (who'd been around Macks all his life) about this a few years ago.

Now days it's just a dress up item like chrome on a car, however originally it was a sign of 'purity'. A Mack that had a Mack engine and transmission (ie: Maxidyne and Maxitorque) had a gold bulldog as it was 'all Mack', a truck that had an engine or transmission from another manufacturer was only given a chrome bulldog as it had been tainted.

rwaldram
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post by scummy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:32 pm

Now days the gold dog is connected with the elite package , it's got some custom parts in the build somewhere , like the interior may be more coumfy . We hada couple at metromix and it was explained to me about added custom bits .
scummy
scummy
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiseliner Sat 02 May 2015, 9:26 pm

Found thes may help with something. Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack 10394511   Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack 10687210
cruiseliner
cruiseliner

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 03 May 2015, 8:16 pm

Thanks for that Cruiseliner. I think there was a Ford LTL as rig of the month in Truckin Life in 87 in these colours too, May perhaps? Trying to track down a copy of the mag to check. Have pulled the existing model down to find it is an orange fibreglass? cab and plastic bonnet. Still trying to sort the rear suspension out. It has been assembled correctly so I'm thinking it may have come from the DM800 kit? Think I might have an Auslowe one somewhere I'll drag out for comparison.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sun 03 May 2015, 8:48 pm

Orange fibreglass sound like its a old jaymar one. Smile
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by scummy Sun 03 May 2015, 8:58 pm

I thought the cab and bonnet looked rounded and bulky , being resin explains it .
scummy
scummy
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sat 09 May 2015, 4:18 pm

Rumour has it that the Rig of the Month in Truckin' Life May 89 not 87, is a Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers Ford LTL. Hoping that some one might have this magazine and that there might be a photo I can use for the decals. I suppose this narrows it down to two possibles.

Last edited by Deaf as on Sun 10 May 2015, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ballsed it up first time upon re reading it)
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 10 May 2015, 5:25 pm

Found the Auslowe suspension and there is a difference in the axle spread so I'll use the Auslowe one for this truck.
Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1619

Looks to be the exact same thing with some spring length removed between the axle mounting box and spring pack clamp. I'll keep the old one for a 1:24 project, hopefully it won't be as noticeable.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 19 Jul 2015, 7:47 pm

Have done a bit more on this old girl. There was a fair chance I put this together with tube glue - great for pulling it apart again but made the original build look disappointing. Stripped the paint off using Pine o clean, took a while and a bit of scrubbing but came up ok.
Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1710
I found an Auslowe resin Mack suspension and used it as a guide to cut the existing wide one down to the same spread. It's still a touch wider than the one on the Cruiseliner but the same as Auslowes so that'll do. Made up and mounted mudguard brackets. Going to use Auslowe resin guards that came ready done in white resin. They are a bit Richie Benaud though, meant to be white and look white until put next to something white- then they turn off white, ivory, wild rice, mottled cream depending on what they're next to Very Happy
Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1711
I used the Auslowe B model tanks. I sanded off the surface detail (fake chequer plate?) and filled the pressed end detail on the front end of the tank. I then cut a groove in this end for the tube bracket. I also made the top mount bracket for the back end of the tank and added the old front mount taps to the tanks. They may be a touch overscale but the photo makes it look heaps worse.
Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1712
Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1714
The old resin cab didn't enjoy the clean up much. I'd like to say I wasn't heavy handed but the evidence suggests otherwise! It's as brittle as and needs a gentle touch (I could be in trouble) but should be salvageable .
A mate found a bloke on another forum doing a Ford LTL in the same livery and he has the decals done. The young bloke has asked if he could arrange another set but so far no word back, fingers crossed!
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bennyg Sun 19 Jul 2015, 11:58 pm

Deaf as wrote:Hi Guys, this is on the drawing board for a wreckscue of a truck living in a box at the back of the cupboard.

Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers R600 Mack Dscf1610

Sorry about the quality of the picture, I couldn't get the scan to load so had to take a picture of the picture. It's on the back cover of Truckin' Life Big Rig book. What I'm after is a side on shot of the logo on the door so I can get decals done. Also wondering if anyone is interested in having a crack at doing the decals, if not, who do you recommend? Does anyone know if the sleeper is available anywhere? If not, what width do you think it is and I'll cut and shut something to suit. I think the tanks are different to Auslowe's square  Mack ones, they appear slimmer , B model perhaps? so I might have to make these as well. Does anyone happen to have a spare grill to suit? Hoping to have it done for the Mack muster at Wagga this year but not holding my breath if the paint puts up a fight like it did on Desperado Rolling Eyes I'll drag the old truck out and post a pic of it too. Were these trucks 5 or 6 spoke hubs on the drive and would they have that pointed hub cap?  Another photo would solve a lot of my problems - just can't find one!
Thanks for any help, comments and suggestions.

The truck in the pic is an r600. My dad used to drive one almost exactly like this one for NK Collins. Had the single headlights and duel aircleaners, square tanks, and same sleeper. The truck my dad drove also had a chrome dog on it and was pure mack. It had a maxidyne engine with the intercooler on the side of the engine, 12 speed maxitorque bix and mack camel back like the ones in your pic with the same 6 spoke wheels. Hope this helps.

Great work so far.

Cheers.

Ben

bennyg

Male Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content