AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mack Titan

4 posters

Go down

Mack Titan Empty Mack Titan

Post by Deaf as Sun 02 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm

Going to make a start on this one once the Daf is complete.
Mack Titan Dscf2414
My apologies for the quality of the photo. I'm going to use Auslowe's Titan transkit for this build.
Mack Titan Dscf2415
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Mack Titan Empty Re: Mack Titan

Post by allan Sun 02 Dec 2018, 8:44 pm

Going to be a cool Mack.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10380
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sat 08 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

you'll have yar hands full with that one young Timothy. you know you have to do the trailer as well

mutley
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 09 Dec 2018, 5:46 pm

mutley wrote:you'll have yar hands full with that one young Timothy. you know you have to do the trailer as well
I know a fine upstanding gent who is building a beautiful one like this from scratch, Maybe he'd like to pose it behind this when he is done? Very Happy Wink  If not, he may be open to loaning me the drawings??? Bought this to go with the trailer that Drake were allegedly going to produce.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Tue 01 Jan 2019, 6:47 pm

I don't know of this fine upstanding gent you refer to, but you do know I've been building one from scratch. Very Happy . If you need the drawings and other reference let know. I've done a bit more since we last spoke and started on the dolly a couple of days ago, again, a little more complicated than it looks. I'll try and post some pics on the original thread.

mutley

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Tue 01 Jan 2019, 7:42 pm

Mate, in my circle of friends/acquaintances, you are the fine upstanding man. I'll let you decide what that says about the company I keep. Keen to see some pics!
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by youngtiger1 Sat 05 Jan 2019, 4:58 pm

Tim, that is a lot of cool stuff you have there for just one truck. Of course, the end result will look awesome. I am a huge fan of Australian trucks thus my join here and I cannot wait to follow your build. Please share as many photos as I'm new models with gloss coat. So, I'm taking notes as I go Smile Most of what I have built so far required flat finish. So, never had to worry about polishing and spit shine results. Tanks and Fighter jet are hardly in need of spit shine Laughing

Mike

youngtiger1
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Tue 22 Jan 2019, 7:37 pm

No worries Mike, nice to see you here, looking forward to seeing your builds. Aiming to have this truck neat and tidy but not a mirror finish on the paint - it is/was a working truck. So I've made a start on the chassis. The transkit instructions call for plastic I beam from the radiator back to about the 3rd cross member and C channel from there back to help prevent the chassis from sagging due to the weight of all the resin involved.
Mack Titan Dscf2442
First job was to fill all the unwanted holes and remove unwanted detail.
Mack Titan Dscf2443
I decided against using the extra plastic shapes for the chassis re enforcement and went with brass angle, Hopefully it will give enough support without the need to shorten all the cross members to keep the chassis rail spacing correct. I had to remove all the internal detail from the bottom half of the chassis rail to get the brass back into the bottom corner.
Mack Titan Dscf2444
Mack Titan Dscf2445
The transkit also comes with a white metal front end to help with the weight. Slightly modify and reposition the kit shocks and swap the steering to RHD. Still researching where the power steering pump and reservoir are mounted.
Mack Titan Dscf2446
Just using the kit rear end. Not sure if it is correct for this particular truck but most of it will be hidden by the drive guards and deck plates. The trans kit instructions are a bit vague and not always in a logical order so I find I have to feel my way through the build but so far so good!
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Thu 28 Feb 2019, 9:11 pm

Good idea putting brass angle in as the chassis will sag after a time as you say.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Fri 22 Mar 2019, 5:36 pm

Earlier is this thread Muttley said I'd have my hands full - how right he was!!! Progress on this has been painfully slow for many reasons but it does go forward.
Mack Titan Dscf2449
This transkit has no instructions that give measurements on where to put the cab and sleeper mounts directly onto the chassis, they mount to the underside of the cab and sleeper floors. To do this, the cab and sleeper are bull clipped together and then the floors with mounts on were inserted.
Mack Titan Dscf2450
The bonnet is then put on and the cab can be pushed along the chassis until the bonnet closes properly.
Mack Titan Dscf2451
The cab/sleeper run backwards a bit so some packing will be needed to get them to sit level. Once the cab is in place, I can mark where the battery boxes go as the front guards are attached to the boxes. It will e a temporary attachment as the guards and battery boxes will be different colours. Once the boxes are in place, I'll mount the drive guards  with the remaining space divided for the fuel tanks and steps up to the chassis.
I didn't notice it earlier but when the bonnet was fitted it had a lean to 1 side . All the white metal assembly at the front appears correct so I'm not sure why this has happened. Typically, I couldn't get the joint undone to fix it so I blocked up the bonnet mount. Hopefully all will be hidden by the bullbar etc.
Mack Titan Dscf2452
I need to find an afternoon where I can sand down the resin parts and wash then ready for assembly, the the next stage can go ahead.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Fri 22 Mar 2019, 5:50 pm

when I did the trident,I had similar dramas with the front end. I made new hinges (the resin ones faulty) and from memory had to notch the hinges into the bonnet to get level. looking at the front of your's , either the chassis is twisted a bit, or the white metal hinge piece is glued on crooked maybe.

mutley

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Fri 22 Mar 2019, 5:53 pm

We reckon that the slot where the bullbar piece slides on to the front of the springs might not be the same length/depth on each side? I really need to learn to measure twice glue once!!
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Fri 22 Mar 2019, 8:32 pm

Look's like a lot of work to get it right.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 21 Apr 2019, 6:45 pm

Sure is Al but I think it'll be alright in the end. Anyway a bit more has been done.
Mack Titan Dscf2548
Mack Titan Dscf2549
Auslowe's V8 Mack engine needed a bit of a tidy up but looks the part to me.
Mack Titan Dscf2550
Made up some access steps.
Mack Titan Dscf2551
Tank brackets on. Can cut fuel tanks next. Putting more of the smaller items on such as rear wings on sleeper, kick panel brackets etc.
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down