AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnum Wagon

+4
dv8v8
Shoey
Brian Vickers#83
slowlylearning
8 posters

Go down

Magnum Wagon Empty Magnum Wagon

Post by slowlylearning Fri 07 Aug 2009, 12:28 am

Totally forgot about this kit, found it while sitting outside. It was under a pile of gardening stuff... so I dug out the box with the rest of the bits and got cracking! Really wanted to do a pano version when I started it, so I'v closed up the side windows with some left over styrene and plopped some light filler on there, its really viscous and sort of slides off at first, but once it gluggy'd up a bit its great to work with, only bad thing i can see happenin is it not sticking too well to the styrene and flaking off, so Im going to lightly sand all the major bumps off and put some primer on and go from there... In hindsight, I probably should have mixed some talcom powder in there to thicken the consistency up Hoping to get this one done in the coming week... plan for the interior is 2 front seats as normal, some woodgrain panels and lay down some 'planks' in the back and polish em up, and it'll be curbside Razz... Not sure of a color yet... leaning towards black maybe... enjoy!

Magnum Wagon Picture008

Magnum Wagon Picture007

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Magnum Wagon Empty Re: Magnum Wagon

Post by Brian Vickers#83 Fri 07 Aug 2009, 12:41 am

Very interesting, nicely done greatjob
I love the wheels, are they from the kit?
Brian Vickers#83
Brian Vickers#83
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoey Fri 07 Aug 2009, 12:43 am

Great concept dude. this would be awesome done up as a Drifter

Magnum Wagon Austra6
Shoey
Shoey
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.championsbrockexperience.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Fri 07 Aug 2009, 1:27 am

Thanks Brian, nah those wheels came from a little toy car, they look like squished versions of real cars... theres some beut wheels just sitting in the toy aisle, waiting to be snatched up!

Ta Shoey, what you mean by drifter? Like a slider, or a travelling van? That pics' given me some ideas for the paint scheme, thanks!

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Fri 07 Aug 2009, 1:31 am

slowlylearning wrote:Thanks Brian, nah those wheels came from a little toy car, they look like squished versions of real cars... theres some beut wheels just sitting in the toy aisle, waiting to be snatched up!

Ta Shoey, what you mean by drifter? Like a slider, or a travelling van? That pics' given me some ideas for the paint scheme, thanks!

Drifter was Chryslers equivalent to a Sandman or a Sundowner, Drifters were also available as a ute
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5648
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Fri 07 Aug 2009, 1:52 am

Oh, Thanks dv8! You learn something new everyday! Wrapped up my learning quota early today aye!

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Unforgiven Fri 07 Aug 2009, 7:15 am

Wouldnt a better intro be Magnum Pannel, this will look kewl, I'll be watching this one as I'm a pannel nut, dont care what kinda wagon it is, I see a pannel, keep us posted
Unforgiven
Unforgiven

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Fri 07 Aug 2009, 1:01 pm

Razz yeah your right, its a pannel... hoping to have bodywork done today

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Fri 07 Aug 2009, 2:47 pm

Got a bit done, that filler is top notch stuff for simple filling, theres probably 5 mins of sanding done there, to smooth it out and remove any excess. Its a very powdery filler, so I had to be carefull not to drop or jolt it in a way that could loosen the filler out... Probably needs a little more, just to bulk it up a bit and get the smooth shape I want, but I may use Mr White plastic based puttle for that, so I can rescribe the parts i need to and not have them chip away... more soon!

Magnum Wagon Picture009

Magnum Wagon Picture010

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by checkmate Fri 07 Aug 2009, 3:29 pm

dv8v8 wrote:Drifter was Chryslers equivalent to a Sandman or a Sundowner, Drifters were also available as a ute
Sandmans came out as utes too! aus

Male Number of posts : 2573
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.majesticvanners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Fri 07 Aug 2009, 5:08 pm

Slopped a layer of Mr White putty on there, sanded and primed so its esier to see the imperfections... dosent look much different Rolling Eyes

Magnum Wagon Picture011

Magnum Wagon Picture012

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce Fri 07 Aug 2009, 7:23 pm

Any reason you are not using normal two part automotive plastic filler for this kind of work? The stuff you are using is for patching wall plaster so I can't imagine it is going to give you the result you are looking for... Rolling Eyes
Bryce
Bryce

Male Number of posts : 3329
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Fri 07 Aug 2009, 11:18 pm

Wouldnt know where to get the 2 part stuff, and that filler is really cheap, just using what i can get my hands on ya know... Its actually not as bad as i thaught it was gunna turn out, and the Mr White putty i got covers the grainy texture, and keeps the cracks from appearing in it... then a more than enough coat of primer (till it looks a bit glossy) and a sand and I'll haave a nice even texture (hoping Laughing) And its fun to see what works and dosent TBH- makes for a good learning experience Razz

Last edited by slowlylearning on Fri 07 Aug 2009, 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Im a big noob at the typing?)

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Tubman Fri 07 Aug 2009, 11:59 pm

I'm kinda thinken that you might, just might be able to get 2 part auto plastic filler (bog) at a Auto parts shop or even Kmart. Shocked
Seriously go to Supercrapy, I mean Supercheap and buy some Septone brand bog, it's a lot easier to sand than other bog. Dude, gotta tell ya, you are asking for trouble using that other stuff, may be easy for now BUT it's gonna come back and bite you on the arse. This has the potential to be very cool, why risk f*cking it up with stuff that is just lying around. Don't mean to be a turd but I'd hate to see this go back in the box, never to see the light of day again because all your filler fell off. Just trying to help showus
Tubman
Tubman
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Sat 08 Aug 2009, 12:51 am

I really appreciate the advice you guys have given me and will go and invest in some Septone 2 part automotive plasic filler tomorro when I go out, sounds like magical stuff Very Happy Its sometime hard to understand what certain terms mean sometimes, and I know most of the questions I ask must sound really stupid to yous fellas, but ya gotta remember I'v been building (well, mocking up, glueing together, then taking apart) for alot less time, and most of the stuff I'm doing is trial and error for me. I knew what that filler was when I baught it, but I thaught I'd give it a try, Iv had it for about 8 months and have been testing it out on different applications (diorama bases etc). Like you said Tub, I was asking for trouble when I used it on the magnum Laughing I know that, but I figured, if i do a relatively thin coat of it, just to even out the window lines, then smear on an even thinner layer of Mr White brand modelling putty ($10 a tube, what a rip Razz) I could avoid it cracking and falling off and so far so good, its holding up OK... there possibly 100s of different ways to close up a window on a model car, and I thaught I'd try something different to achieve the same goal... yeah probably should have asked around a bit about the filler Laughing But I wanted to try something Iv never done before, ya know, like when your young, taking things apart to see whats inside (dont lie, we've all done it Razz for me it was hotwheels cars and a hammer, I made smashes toy ca and lemon soup, PM me for the recipe Laughing) But I will be getting some of that 2part stuff, thanks for the friendly advice again, nice to know theres help out there in our little corner of the internet. And sorry for the longwinded post Rolling Eyes had V... and chocolate... AND like 4 apples Razz... any more info (or a tutorial?) on using that bog would be great Very Happy:D

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Tubman Sat 08 Aug 2009, 1:45 am

No probs KC, I wish I had people I could ask advice from when I was your age, would of saved myself a lot of pain and a few models Sad
Bog is pretty easy dude, read the instructions, it will tell you how much hardener to use, it may take a bit of practice, just remember, if you use to much hardener it will go off too quick and if you use to little it won't go off. Put about a tablespoons worth of the stuff in the tin on a flat clean board, then squeeze about 2cm of hardener out, kneed the tube first or all you will get is red water, thorrowly mix with a putty knife or scraper till consistant colour and your ready to go, don't put it on too thick as this stuff gets pretty hot as it's a chemical reaction. Let it harden up, leave it at least 1/2 hour, then sand away, repeat if needed. You can PM me if you want too, if you have any probs. Get some spot putty while you are there, good for small imperfections.
Tubman
Tubman
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce Sat 08 Aug 2009, 8:07 am

A couple more tips on using bog:

You will need a lot of applicators as the stuff can be sloppy and messy. I use old laminated business cards - they are thin, cheap and plentiful.

Try to mix the hardener and filler in the same direction - you will get less air bubbles to fill in later.

When you are filling anything, it is better to fill the gaps up as much as possible with plastic and superglue and then just use the bog as a skim coat to even things up. All fillers shrink and if you use bog too thickly you will get ghost lines appearing for years afterwards and/or cracks will appear at hard joins.

I take off any excess and do some rough shaping of the bog while it is still setting up (it should still be warm and sticky, but firm to the touch). It is a lot easier to remove any big blobs at this stage than spend hours sanding later.

Get yourself some of those flexible nail file sanding sticks - they are awesome for filing bog.

HTH - and good luck.
Bryce
Bryce

Male Number of posts : 3329
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Sat 08 Aug 2009, 12:37 pm

Thanks tub and bryce, cant buy that sorta info aye... Iv got the emory boards, Iv been using some old library cards to apply the filler, so i spose i'll juast reuse that for the bog.... thanks again Very Happy

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down