AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something old and traditional.

+17
Chris
HOT EH
Mustang_67
stevegt738
Kane
TomA
Geoff
Kynan
Deadly
Bill Page
zenrat
Bryce
Clutch
allan
Monaro
Paul
Carps
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Empty Re: Something old and traditional.

Post by Bill Page Tue 29 Jun 2010, 1:02 am

That diff is a beauty,too,Carps. Great work on the engine!
Bill Page
Bill Page
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2010-05-15

Back to top Go down

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Empty Re: Something old and traditional.

Post by HOT EH Thu 01 Jul 2010, 9:32 am

looks way smooth so far my dear departed friend would have liked it alot ! but he is cruiseing around in the skythese days R.I.P al. Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Icon_evil Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Icon_twisted Something old and traditional. - Page 2 544497
HOT EH
HOT EH

Male Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 15 Aug 2010, 9:12 pm

Been away for a while, sometimes work gets in the way. Too bloody cold to paint since I got home so today I bit the bullet and experimented. Instead of using the dark purple lacquer, I mixed some one shot enamel with cold weather reducer and sprayed that on the deuce.

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Ardeucebody

Body frame, dash and grille shell all came out OK and are touch dry so should be OK to start final assy tomorrow, or if I don't do anything before then, the weekend.

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Ardeucebody1

The cowl is filled for Duval screen and that little teardrop on the side is for the cowl-side steering system. Will use either the '40 wheel or a '38 Banjo.

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Ardeucebody2

Interior is assembled waiting the '40 dash to be detailed and installed and I got the engine running with a couple of repro 94s and a Thickstun aircleaner.

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Arduncarbs

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Arduncarbs2

Still not sure what to do about headlamps and tossing up between '39 teardrops and 49 Pontiac for tailamps.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3168
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Page Mon 16 Aug 2010, 1:06 am

Good call,Carps. Paint looks like glass. Sure is gonna be pretty,Bud. Later,Bill
Bill Page
Bill Page

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Mon 16 Aug 2010, 8:15 am

Nice colour.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 16 Aug 2010, 8:47 am

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 60245 thats one cool colour Something old and traditional. - Page 2 734326 Something old and traditional. - Page 2 708873
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Tue 17 Aug 2010, 10:46 am

I hate paint!

Seems that everytime I add paint to something it highlights the bits that are not perfectly aligned or fitted.

Need to move engine back a poofteenth for radiator clearance, which was all fine before I added the paint! GRRRR!

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Ardunpurple

Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Tue 17 Aug 2010, 1:40 pm

Would it not be easier (and less potentially disasterous) to move the rad forwards a poofteenth?

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce Tue 17 Aug 2010, 3:14 pm

The old final assembly dramas, eh Carps...?

Oh well, I'm sure you'll work it out. Paint looks great by the way.
Bryce
Bryce

Male Number of posts : 3329
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Tue 17 Aug 2010, 6:42 pm

Thanx, probably should have used black primer instead of grey, but the old One Shot really shines.

Unlike regular enamels it normally flashes off pretty quick too, so there's little chance of it picking up airborne grunge. However, thanx to the slow reducer there are a couple of tiny dust spots in it, but I'm sure I can deal with them.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Page Tue 17 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

Hey Carps. Please fill me in on 'one shot' please. I'm not familiar with it under that name. Is it model or auto paint. I like the idea of using temp sensitive reducers. I still haven't scrounged up another compressor yet,but it will happen and I'd like to try it out. I miss my air brush a lot. Your roadster looks as if a good coat of wax,(carnauba)sp? you know,just plain wax,no cleaners etc.would do it up fine. Thanks,Bill
Bill Page
Bill Page

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Tue 17 Aug 2010, 10:54 pm

Looking good! Would never have thought to use One Shot, nice! Bill, One Shot is a signwriters enamel, top stuff to pinstripe with too. Dries pretty quick for an enamel & there's a few different reducers available too.
Chris
Chris

Male Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2010-03-21

http://www.stickitgraphics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Wed 18 Aug 2010, 4:33 pm

Yup, and it's called one shot because it's high opacity means it covers any other color with one shot.

Stays shiney for years even in severe conditions and sticks to pretty much anything.

Not cheap, but the paint of choice for doing stuff like this.....

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Carpslines

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Ttank

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Filelines

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Door1
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Page Wed 18 Aug 2010, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys. Carps,you're an artist. I love to watch y'all at work.
Bill Page
Bill Page

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Thu 19 Aug 2010, 8:30 am

Carps I haven't said anything yet because I was not well around the time you posted this, but now I can say that this rod is coming along exactly as I would expect. I think we spend too much of our precious time seeking perfection rather than satisfaction, and to me your 32 is just right. Does it really matter if the paint is not quite up to scratch - just look around at real cars to see what I mean. It looks fine and I am very much looking forward to seeing it completed (to your satisfaction). BTW that pinstriping is tops!

looksgreat

aus

Last edited by tezza43 on Thu 19 Aug 2010, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318

Back to top Go down

Post by Kynan Thu 19 Aug 2010, 11:48 am

Bill Page wrote: Carps,you're an artist. I love to watch y'all at work.
Something old and traditional. - Page 2 574232 I'm love'n this build as I do all of your builds Top Job can't wait to see it finished
Kynan
Kynan
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Thu 19 Aug 2010, 1:23 pm

You're right there Tezza. If I insisted on perfection i'd never get anything done.

Nice striping Carps.
bigthumbsup

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMMOSZED Sat 21 Aug 2010, 11:08 pm

fantastic
doing a 32 ATM myself, ardun heads and motor from the 50 F-truck, Duval screen, sooked it with paint and going matt black, maybe flames. Had not go my head around the engine mounts till i saw yours, tooo easy, I will take the tip and check fit - again - before paint. This is for me what this club - site is all about twothumbsup
a bit of fun on the way don't hurt either
HAMMOSZED
HAMMOSZED

Male Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 22 Aug 2010, 9:15 am

tezza43 wrote: I can say that this rod is coming along exactly as I would expect.
It is indeed coming along nicely, but it's also provided a couple of frustrating challenges.

Tezza wrote: I think we spend too much of our precious time seeking perfection rather than satisfaction,
Appreciate your comment thet this one is just right and I am happy with it too as it is what I wanted it to be. However I'm of the opinion that if we don't challenge ourselves by seeking 'perfection' when we know perfection can be achieved, we end up disgruntled and dissolusioned.

I've never built a model for any more than my own satisfaction in building something I'd love to have in 1/1 scale, that's why I don't do many late models. But I do like my stuff to be nicely finished and I'm not a big fan of rat rods etc. My 1/1 cars have patina, but they both still have a nice finish and are kept looking as good as they can look.

Tezza wrote:Does it really matter if the paint is not quite up to scratch - just look around at real cars to see what I mean.
I do that almost on a daily basis and yes I'm alarmed at the imperfections, however the goal where I make cars is to have no imperfections and we are doing a pretty good job of achieveing it. People would not buy our cars if we took the approach you suggest. Wink

Tezza wrote:It looks fine and I am very much looking forward to seeing it completed (to your satisfaction). BTW that pinstriping is tops!
Thanx and it will be completed to the best of my ability to get it as close to perfect as I can, but I can see a few more frustrations coming. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 22 Aug 2010, 9:29 am

Thanx guys for the positiver feedback.

HAMMOSZED wrote:doing a 32 ATM myself, ardun heads and motor from the 50 F-truck,
I used the engine block but these heads from R&M are simply superb, in fact anything I've ever had from them has been close to perfection in terms of scale and detail.

Hammo wrote:Duval screen,
One from another kit? I'm starting to think that might have been easier as the R&M one I'me using is very fragile and I'm worried I'm gunna break it before I get it to sit down on the cowl properly.

Hammo wrote: sooked it with paint and going matt black, maybe flames.
Me too that's how I came up with the One Shot idea, coz I had the colour set before I started.

Hammo wrote: Had not go my head around the engine mounts till i saw yours, tooo easy, I will take the tip and check fit - again - before paint. This is for me what this club - site is all about twothumbsup
a bit of fun on the way don't hurt either
Yup, that's why I come here, to learn from the masters and have some fun. Sad I can't be here or at the bench as much as I'd like, but one day I will have to give up the hurley burley of corporate life and I've got plenty of kits to keep me going.

If you copy my mounts directly the engine will be well forward of the flat firewall, I did it that way in order to clear the stock Deuce firewall I used, just made it a poofteenth too far forward, got it adjusted OK and now the top pulley just touches the radiator. I may take a releife piece out of the top tank but it'll work OK this way.

If you make the mounts a little longer then mine you can add some Hot Rod look by drilling a couple of extra holes each one bigger than the engine mount holes. Just adds to the illusion and takes some of the bulk away. FWIW the waay I've done the mounts is exactly how thay are done in an ariginal early Ford Chassis. So I aint really that clever. Wink
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMMOSZED Sun 22 Aug 2010, 9:54 am

Hammo wrote:;]Duval screen,
One from another kit? I'm starting to think that might have been easier as the R&M one I'me using is very fragile and I'm worried I'm gunna break it before I get it to sit down on the cowl properly.

[using the 32 Phantom Vickie as a donor, swapped the cowl sections, probably use a few of the other bits to .....

when you refer to R&M - Revell/Monogram??
HAMMOSZED
HAMMOSZED

Male Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by early model Sun 22 Aug 2010, 3:28 pm

No not Revell/Monogram.Carps says on the 1st page some parts for this build come from a company called Replicas & Miniatures.in Maryland,USA. They make many parts for use on model cars. You'll prolly find their web addy in a model car mag or google them or maybe someone capable will put a link up.
early model
early model

Male Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by doorslammerfan Sun 22 Aug 2010, 7:00 pm

they dont have a website but you can checkout stuff here. Apparently one of the best to deal with. Hope this link works

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/1/2/1/after-market-source/replicasminiatureof/
doorslammerfan
doorslammerfan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2009-08-14

https://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/doorslammerfan/

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 22 Aug 2010, 8:12 pm

Think I made some headway today, only a few details and the windscreen than it's off to the showroom.

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 PDlhs

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 PDtoprh

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Pdtop

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 Pdrraxle

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 PDeglhs

Something old and traditional. - Page 2 PDegrhs

Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 22 Aug 2010, 8:22 pm

Sorry if I confused you but Anthony & Slammerfan have it. Relicas & Miniatures make some sensational aftermarket parts for model building.

The Ardun conversion and supercharger I used here are R&M parts and they are simply perfact repicas of the original parts.

I've never had a bad part from them and I ususually pick fill a box with their stuff whenever I'm in the USofA. They don't have a web site but provide excellent service the old fashioned way, by snail mail or even phone.

I've just sent a checque for a few hundred bux worth of stuff to keep me going until my next trip.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next