AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer

+11
tezza43
Nighthoon
Dodge
harley fan
doorslammerfan
Mr Mopar
Kynan
Tillerman
zenrat
allan
sports850
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Empty Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer

Post by sports850 Sat 10 Jul 2010, 1:44 pm

This build is going to take quite a while but basically the idea is to have a semi trailer car carrier full of mini's . I have a few mini'e already built that need to be displayed somehow and several more to build and I'll be able to fit 8 or 9 on this combo . Huge thank's to Kynan for the trailer Smile

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Truck

A quick mockup ,

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Truck2

Some mini's to go on it I found in a box recently that I had forgotten about that will go on this too when built ...

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Found

I have never built a truck before so have a few questions if anyone can help , I've been looking at trucks on the highway working out colour schemes but am at a bit of an impasse . I have a rattle can of a nice red that I'll decant and put through the airbrush for the cab and bodywork but am not sure on the rest . I was thinking flat or satin black for the chassis (not gloss at least) of the truck and a flat light to mid grey for the trailer chassis with flat red for the rest of the trailer . What are peoples suggestions or ideas as this is going to be huge (around a metre long all up , check out the rough mockup above for size) and I want it to look good without being too shiny and overpowering the mini's on it .

Last edited by sports850 on Sat 10 Jul 2010, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stoopid spellun mistooks)
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2009-08-07

Back to top Go down

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Empty Re: Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer

Post by allan Sat 10 Jul 2010, 6:46 pm

Like were you are going with this one,chassis can be painted semi gloss or flat.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Empty Re: Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer

Post by sports850 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 6:56 am

Got some time to get the chassis assembled last night , first time I've done a truck and I've got to say , there's a hell of a lot more to paint on it than a car model Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Icon_lol

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Chassis

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Rearend

Now waiting for some sunny days to paint the body Smile Smile Smile
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Tue 27 Jul 2010, 7:35 am

did you get a RHD for,looking good so far.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Tue 27 Jul 2010, 2:00 pm

Bloody Volvo builders...

Very Happy

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 5:09 pm

zenrat wrote:Bloody Volvo builders...

Very Happy

I'm trying to find a scale bowls hat to put on the table in the sleeper to complete the image ....

Yes thank's Allan , auslowe do make one and I should have it soon Smile
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Tue 27 Jul 2010, 6:40 pm

Ditch the Ovlov body and stretch a mini shell over the truck chassis...

Hmmm. maybe for later eh?

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

Don't give me ideas Fred , I was looking at that Truck hot rod in Model art the other day thinking ....
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Wed 28 Jul 2010, 9:31 am

what colour you going with,have always thought about building a mini primer mover,
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Tillerman Wed 28 Jul 2010, 10:12 am

How about towing an old skool caravan behind it and changing the gearing so it will max out at 80km/h to go along with the bowling hat. Being a volvo and all... lol

Looking good so far mate!
Tillerman
Tillerman
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kynan Thu 29 Jul 2010, 2:48 pm

Looking great so far. We get heaps of car transporters up here so I will take some pictures for you if you like. The Toll are the Toll orange NQX are the NQX slime blue/ green. Some others are red and one of the others that I see a bit are a dark green. A few of them run a covers on the sides that looks quite good that are use to help protect the cars as well as to streamline it a bit. Maybe you could look at making the covers for one side and put some mini logo's on it so when its viewed from one side you see all the Mini's from the other side you can only see bits of the Mini's between the covers. I reckon that would look cool.
Kynan
Kynan
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Mon 30 Aug 2010, 9:47 pm

Not a bad idea Kynan , but I think I'll leave it open to show them off (plus to stay within my skill levels ....) Smile

Had a nice sunny day today without the boys here and wasn't working (very rare thing nowdays) so got some more colour on the body parts . This was my first time using one of those small (50 ml ???) tins of enamel from supercheap thinned and put through the airbrush . I had already painted some parts with a red rattle can that ran out , the finer coat from the airbrush has showed some flaws through from the other paint so will be getting a good rub back once it's hardened but so far it's looking good , except for the dust specs on the bit you can see ...

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Redtruck

Also got some paint on some of the trailer , except I ran out after this (Tamiya paint jars are just too small for something this size ... Anyone know of any little tins of flat red enamel ???

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Trailer
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Tue 31 Aug 2010, 4:24 pm

looking good,you can get auto paint made up as a flat colour in rattle cans or small tins,any auto part shops near you that make up paint ask then or smash repair shops asked them.or you can put gloss on and put a coat of dull coat on it.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Wed 26 Jan 2011, 2:41 pm

Well there has been some more progress on this one while I've been offline , but I am finding it hard to keep motivated with such a large build , how do the guy's who build trucks regularly do this ?

Anyway , the Volvo is now about 90% finished after more paint drama's and rubbing back again ,

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Trub

Auslowe RHD dash was very nice to use and Auslowe very easy to deal with (I don't have a credit card but was able to direct deposit the $$$ and it was sent quickly) .

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Tdash

Still got the extra fairing's on the back to fit and the front bumper and sun visor when I have rubbed them back AGAIN and repainted them .....

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Tprogress2

The trailers coming together nicely , camera flash tends to wash the colour from the flat red paintwork , looks much deeper in person .

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Ttrailer

Auslowe wheels now ready to fit (only sitting under guards for the photo)

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Twheels

And a quick mockup with 8 mini's to see how it will look together (ok , this was a motivational shot to get myself enthused to start on the Fujimi mini's ...)

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Tmock
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Wed 26 Jan 2011, 4:15 pm

looking good so far. A+
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Wed 26 Jan 2011, 9:38 pm

Nice build sports, It's coming up a treat.

[quote="sports850"]I am finding it hard to keep motivated with such a large build , how do the guy's who build trucks regularly do this ?
[quote]

I could answer this question, but if I showed you my WIP I could put you off truck building for life. mybad
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Male Number of posts : 140

Back to top Go down

Post by doorslammerfan Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:28 am

keep it up chap, tis looking good so far bigthumbsup
doorslammerfan
doorslammerfan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2009-08-14

https://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/doorslammerfan/

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Thu 27 Jan 2011, 2:34 pm

Looking good Ian.

How about we keep you motivated?
FInish this soon or Paul will start posting you used nappies, Tezza will photoshop you into embarrassing situations and i'll drink all your tea and eat all your biscuits...

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Thu 27 Jan 2011, 4:23 pm

Hmmm , well fred , I already have enough used nappies from my own 2 year old munchkin , Terry couldn't photoshop me into anything worse than what I wore for my 40th party (seems pink isn't my colour after all , not even with fishnet stockings) and if you can find any bikkies after my kids have been here for the weekend you're doing better than I can . You're welcome to the teabags though , they are around 1989 vintage so should have matured nicely by now Smile

Thank's Guys Smile
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Fri 28 Jan 2011, 12:47 pm

The truck is going to be decalled with logo's from the Australian mini magazine "the Mini Experience" (as I have some left over from the monaro off road racer) for it to be on the lines of a magazine sponsored road show . The only thing is it needs a scale version of Watto , the magazine's owner and editor . A constant source of annoyance and embarrassment for Watto is a thread over on Ausmini of people getting photo's of watto from behind without him knowing and posting them so rather than trying to find a figure that looks like Watto I want a standing figure that's bent over that I can position as if he was looking at something on the truck as a vuisual "private joke" . I've looked at some of the figures in the Tamiya sets in stock at Scale Automobilia but there wasn't anything bending over , Does anyone know of such a figure and where I could get one ?
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by harley fan Fri 28 Jan 2011, 2:53 pm

you could try the fujimi garage and tools series mechanic kit # 11003, that has a fellow in a bending pose as if he were working under a car bonnet

harley fan

Male Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Fri 28 Jan 2011, 3:05 pm

Thank's Harley fan , I'll have a look at that one .
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Sat 26 Feb 2011, 9:16 pm

Great looking model sports...I might have to up size my scale soon and get into the big rigs Very Happy

Dodge
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Nighthoon Sat 26 Feb 2011, 9:34 pm

lol i know how you feel mate im building the italeri western star and boy there fidgety ive got most it done, love this build did u have any complecations with the cab and sleeper putting them together?
Nighthoon
Nighthoon

Male Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Mon 02 Jan 2012, 7:27 pm

Well , I've had a bit of time to get back to this one lately (having a hobby understanding girlfriend helps Smile ) and have basically finished it now . Still have a couple of decals to put on it yet when I find them again , I think I know where they are ....

Just cannot get the passenger side windscreen wiper to sit straight Sad

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Semi1

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Semi2

Finished the trailer too and put it together , just need to unpack all the tamiya mini's I've built and put them on it (when I find which tub they are in , I have more than 700 litres of diecast and plastic models in the spare room in tubs) ,

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Semi3

Very hard to get a clear photo of it considering the total length ...

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Semi4

Next is to get a flatbed front B double trailer (or modify a normal flatbed to be a B double) so I can fit the next mini model project onto it ...

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Hmmmini

Italeri Volvo VN780 and car carrier trailer Hmmmini2
Wonder what it could be Wink
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next