AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 Ford

+4
DeeCee
slowlylearning
tezza43
Andrew J
8 posters

Go down

32 Ford Empty 32 Ford

Post by Andrew J Mon 14 Feb 2011, 9:28 pm

Hey guys

I thought I would post another one that I am working on or should I say cant find the time to finish. Its the AMT 32 Ford Phantom.

32 Ford Dsc03810

I have swapped the injected motor for one from my parts box as I am planning to build this one as a more classic rod rather than the modern type that the kit is. I am not sure where the motor came from, something tells me it might be a chev but I have turned the manifold around to make it look like a ford motor. Pretty dodgy I know. I have had to modify the chassis to fit the new motor but nothing too drastic, i just had to move the engine mounts back a couple of mm's. The airfilter, rocker covers, resin predrilled distributor and coil and beehive oil filter have come from my parts box and I am still trying to find a starter motor that doesnt look like it belongs on a truck. The exhaust has been sparayed in Tamiya TS-83 Metallic Silver.

32 Ford Dsc03811

32 Ford Dsc03812

Suspension will be stock and all the bits that arent the body colour have been painted silver and black.

32 Ford Dsc03814

The interior is pretty much stock except for the steering wheel, gear stick and handbrake. The interior is painted dark beige obviously with some silver detailing to the gauge rings and door handles.

32 Ford Dsc03813

The paint scheme for this one will be dark blue with a baby blue pinstripe. The wheels are off the Revell 41 Willys Street Rod. I have painted everything that can be painted with a brush so its time to get my act together and get into the body and chassis and engine.

32 Ford Dsc03815

I hope you like so far and thanks for looking

Andrew J
Andrew J
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 407
Registration date : 2010-10-28

Back to top Go down

32 Ford Empty Re: 32 Ford

Post by tezza43 Mon 14 Feb 2011, 9:46 pm

Very clean work so far - should look good with your ideas.

aus
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Tue 22 Feb 2011, 8:55 pm

nice detail panting!

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew J Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

Now that I am back into modelling again albeit part time I thought I would give a you an update on this one. I cant believe its been over a year since I touched it.

The last week or so I have been trying to get parts painted and finishing off the bits I have had to make changes to. I decided to change the airfilter and rocker covers to smooth ones to keep it all nice and tidy. Plus the finned airfilter looked too big at mock up. I primed, painted and cleared the motor next. I just need to detail paint some brackets and filters silver to break up the sea of blue. I was hoping the paint would be a bit brighter than what it is, but actually doesnt look too bad in the sun and really pops.

Motor at new mockup.

32 Ford 2012-010

The starter motor looked a bit out of scale so I have changed this to a new one.

Motor sprayed and cleared. Just need to fit everything else now and detail the silver.

32 Ford Dsc04512

I primered the chassis and motor, suspension, diff etc without a problem and it all came out pretty good. Then I gave it all a hit with Tamiya TS-51 Racing Blue as I did with the motor. Once again, no problem. Then, yesterday I made the stupid choice of clearing it all in misrable weather and everything went cloudy. SPEWING!!!! So now I have to give it all a hit of colour again.

Here is the chassis and suspension stuff painted. You cant really tell in the pics that they have gone cloudy, but it all definately needs another hit of colour. Just need to wait for sunny weather.

32 Ford Dsc04519

Body is primered. Just need to sand some mould lines back and then give it another hit of primer and it will be ready for paint with the rest of the body parts, but I wont get to it until all the chassis and engine bits are together. I am trying to time plan everything out this time around so I dont get too consumed with too much going on with one project. I think this is the smartest way for me to get some kits done this year by breaking each build up into seperate projects.

Anyway here is the body and floor pan primered. Inside will be flocked Tan but behind the back seats will be the same blue as the rest of the car. Not that you will see it anyway. The kit comes with a fuel cell that goes here but like I mentioned you dont see behind the seat, so I have a fuel cell to put into another build one day.

32 Ford Dsc04513

Now I need your help. I am having second thoughts about the wheels I initially chose and have been contemplating on another set. Below are the different wheels I am thinking about. Let me know which you think.

1. Original wheels I decided on from the Revell 41 Willys street rod kit

32 Ford Dsc04514

2. 19/23 inch Chrome T's

32 Ford Dsc04515

3. 19/23 inch Chrome Holli's

32 Ford Dsc04516

4. Hallibrand style wheels from an unknown kit. I think they are a combo from two different kits

32 Ford Dsc04517

5. Or the wheels from the Monogram 1937 Ford

32 Ford Dsc04518

Your thoughts are appreciated and any other suggestions for this build will be taken on board.

Cheers guys and let me know what you think

AJ
Andrew J
Andrew J

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:56 pm

Thats gonna be sweet Andrew, i prefer the 19/23 holis my self , they're a cool wheel, where do you manage to get big/little sizes ? all the ones i get are 23's only.
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew J Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

DeeCee wrote:Thats gonna be sweet Andrew, i prefer the 19/23 holis my self , they're a cool wheel, where do you manage to get big/little sizes ? all the ones i get are 23's only.

Thanks DeeCee

www.scaledreams.com sell the Hollis in a 19/23 combo as well as the Chrome Ts and a couple of other styles. This is good because you dont need to buy two sets of wheels to get the different sizes. They are good guys to deal with also and very reasonable. I think this set cost around $9 plus postage. Fast delivery too.
Andrew J
Andrew J

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew J Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

Hi fellas.

Another quick update on this one.

Engine is done now and the chassis too. Wired the engine. This is the second time I have done this and it was much easier than last time but still a bit tricky. Hopefully next time it will be a little easier again.

32 Ford Dsc04525

32 Ford Dsc04526

I had an issue I didnt resolve at mock up. Because I am using the kit exhaust, it means I have to use the kit headers and it didnt dawn on me that the motor I am using is alot narrower then the kit quad cam so I was left with a 5mm gap between the headers and the heads when I did the latest mockup. SO I just cut up some evergreen tube to fill the gap.

32 Ford Dsc04527

They look pretty dodgy I know, but I couldnt think of an easier way so this will have to suffice. The tube shouldnt stick out past the bonnet line too much anyway so they wont be too noticable but I think I might sand the tube a little more just to make it a bit more presentable.

I have also decided to go with the 19/23inch Hollis on this one.

Just need to spray all the body parts and interior floor and should all be done in the next week if the weather fines up in Sydney.

Thanks for looking and any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

AJ
Andrew J
Andrew J

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Clark Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm

Should look great AJ!! Nice choice with wheels to. ( I used to beg dad for a set Wink )
Chassis looks awesome too Smile
Adam Clark
Adam Clark
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:03 pm

that's going to be one very cool 32
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew J Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:17 am

Cheers guys. I cant wait to get it done.

I still havent sprayed the body parts yet as I am still trying to finish flocking the interior. Unfortunately I am losing with this one. Tried the watered down white glue trick and it didnt work. Tried the same colour paint and that didnt work. Clear is my last option. It just keeps coming out patchy. Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Cheers

AJ
Andrew J
Andrew J

Back to top Go down

Post by baZOOKa Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

Excellent detail work. This is gunna look good when done (Clear a space up the top of the page Paul)

Personally ...if your going for a more retro look I would go with choice 4 or 5 . Lacky band wheels were not fitted to the early type rods. My my2cents
baZOOKa
baZOOKa
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1409
Registration date : 2011-07-15

http://www.outbackherbsandspices.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Mon 02 Apr 2012, 9:19 am

baZOOKa wrote:
Personally ...if your going for a more retro look I would go with choice 4 or 5 . Lacky band wheels were not fitted to the early type rods. My my2cents

I agree, maximum diameter for a rod is 15" alloy/mag, or 16" for steelies! But the Hollis should still look good. And hey, at the end of the day it's your model. twothumbsup
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew J Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:42 pm

I agree with both comments on the wheels but I am not sure what look I am going for especially with the pearly paint and the tan interior. I am thinking its more of a modern rod now, but I will probably make a final decision when its all put together.

Cheers

AJ
Andrew J
Andrew J

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

That's the ticket AJ, get her together and try all the wheels again. You'll know, because it'll just look "right"
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down