AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Messing up my 1/12 MC models at the decal stage. Can anyone help please?

4 posters

Go down

Messing up my 1/12 MC models at the decal stage.  Can anyone help please? Empty Messing up my 1/12 MC models at the decal stage. Can anyone help please?

Post by Flying Kiwi Wed 22 Jun 2011, 8:10 am

Hi, I have come on board with the forum cos I am really frustrated with my inability to get it right when it comes to larger decals applied to uneven surfaces like tank and fairings. I have just stuffed up the tank and rear cowl decals on an '98 Honda NSR500 but this is not the first time! I have been online and read all kinds of articles and tips sheets for applying decals, I have tried decal softener and different approaches but still not getting it right. Two main issues: tearing the decals during placement and (biggest issue) not getting decal to adhere cleanly when trying to 'bend' it round contoured surfaces.

So, I am looking for some advice or, even better, is there some experienced MC modeller who would be willing to assist me or let me be a 'fly on the wall' when you apply decals on an upcoming model project??? I live in St Johns Park in SW Sydney but would be willing to travel elsewhere in Sydney if someone is happy to give me some time - I realise this is a big ask from a 'newbie' to the group but I really did not know where else to start. I'm desperate! Cheers, pete

Flying Kiwi
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Messing up my 1/12 MC models at the decal stage.  Can anyone help please? Empty Re: Messing up my 1/12 MC models at the decal stage. Can anyone help please?

Post by zenrat Wed 22 Jun 2011, 8:24 am

G'day Pete.
Welcome to the funny farm.

When I was building 1/12 Tamiya bikes I took the following approach to decals - don't buy kits that have big ones over compound curves. An approach I still apply when buying car kits today Very Happy
That's not much help though is it.

I feel your pain but can't offer any advice. I recently purchased some decal softner and tried it on a Can-Am Mustang. Everything i'd read also made it seem easy (usually comments along the lines of "I flooded the decal with softner and it snuggled down nicely") but all I succeeded in doing was wrecking the decals.
Maybe one of the NASCAR/F1 builders here can offer some advice?
Or Bryce? How did you get them to lay down on the curvy front guards of your Flaming 40?

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Messing up my 1/12 MC models at the decal stage.  Can anyone help please? Empty Re: Messing up my 1/12 MC models at the decal stage. Can anyone help please?

Post by Kane Wed 22 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

Welcome Pete.
Decals, the pain of any modeller, or is that me. I think everyone has their own way, and I think you need to find the method that just works for you.
My way - plenty of decal softener and a hair dryer is indispensable and much patience. I'd be happy to help you, I do a lot of carbon fibre decals with this method. I live in Merrylands if you would want to have a look
Kane
Kane
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1505
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

This website may help you: http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/110

There is a small section at the bottom about compound curves and decals, but the whole page is useful.

aus
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down