AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird

5 posters

Go down

bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird Empty bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird

Post by ausbuilder Mon 23 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

i bought this kit last year, and have been working on it slowly, and this is the result, the chassis is "borrowed" from matt and debbie hay's pro street thunderbird, that i'm building as well..this kit is just gorgeous, i love it, the paint is going on so smoothly, i layered a coat of flat white underneath, because i have this tendency to have paint run when i spray not sure why that is, but i hope you like what i've done so far, chassis is under way as well more to come

bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird IMAG0072
bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird IMAG0071
bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird IMAG0070

ausbuilder
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-08-27

Back to top Go down

bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird Empty Re: bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird

Post by checkmate Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

What sort of paint do you use mate?

Male Number of posts : 2573
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.majesticvanners.com

Back to top Go down

bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird Empty Re: bob glidden's pro stock thunderbird

Post by DeeCee Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm

That is a killer shine ther mate, looks briliant so far. popcorn
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ausbuilder Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:49 pm

checkmate wrote:What sort of paint do you use mate?

i use export for base coats, such as flat undercoat, silver for undercoat or for engines that kind of stuff, but never ever ever ever, (yes i'm trying to get my point across lol) for body paint...

i use tamiya paints for body paints, i find them the best..i've tried humbrol in years gone by, but found that the paint just sprayed everywhere but down..so i wont use it, i live in an apt complex, with no shed space and the hassle of always having to be careful that i dont get paint on someone's cars..so i have about 3 feet of space i use to paint my models outside so i do my best with what i've got

@deecee, thanks heaps, i'm hoping that this kit will look as good as my 37 ford sedan, i've worked really hard to get this kit right...i've sanded out the bumps dust etc so it wont show up in paint..but apart from that it will be straight outta the box, i'm thinking of dumping the dual carb setup for a supercharger and bug catcher...but i'll need to wait until the partsbox reopens for that..but no dramas

ausbuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by checkmate Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:20 am

I think your paint running might be caused by Tamiya paints, I found them hard to use at first. I still use them for clear red etc but mainly use Holts Automotive touch up paints I find them a lot more forgiving and less likely to run I've found.
Cheers Rob

Male Number of posts : 2573
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.majesticvanners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ausbuilder Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

actually its probably caused by my heavy hands LOL..i've heard of holts, but tamiya is more readily available so i use what i can get my hands on lol...

i'm heading home to tasmania, November so i'm going to try and find a place that has a little shed, so i can then start using a spraygun and compressor like old times..so this is just an inbetween you might say..but thanks for the comments

edit/ i've got facebook for anyone who's interested, inbox me if you would like to become friends on facebook...i post there more than anywhere else..

ausbuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shunter Thu 26 Jan 2012, 7:20 am

Nice work so far, i had this kit as a kid and wish i could find it again.
Shunter
Shunter
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2008-05-24

http://motorsportmodeller.blogspot.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Thu 26 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

looking good so far.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:00 pm

When you hit Tassie mate, you'll have to catch up for a beer and a dribble session.. I always use (used to use) Holts automotive acrylic but very hard to find now, every one stocks Power plus, which isn't bad for colours, but i quite often now go into auto paint shops with a jar and say fill it with what ever colour i want, then mix and match.
I have had problems putting auto over hobbie paint, they just don't seem to like each other all the time.
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ausbuilder Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

for sure DeeCee, would be good, i never use automotive over the top of tamiya, that'd be totally wrong...export is ok for undercoats but not for top coats..i prefer proper model paints when it comes to glosses and some interior work...

just so you know i'm not a "fancy pants" with my models i do my best and for the most part it's outta the box..although i'm considering doing something a little different..but that wont be till i get home..

ausbuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by ausbuilder Thu 26 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

Shunter wrote:Nice work so far, i had this kit as a kid and wish i could find it again.

you'd be pushing that "brown stuff" up hill to find one now, best place to look is evilbay US, thats where this one came from...i tend to do alot of buying and dreaming from the US lol

ausbuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down