AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration

+3
allan
RetrospectKustoms
cedarsales
7 posters

Go down

OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration Empty OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration

Post by cedarsales Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:35 am

Here is my next project. I will have to strip the paint off this one. What is the best way to strip the paint off the body?? I have a set of Slixx decals for this project as well. I did find the matching slick for this kit. The pic is before I found the other slick.
OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration 001-39

cedarsales
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-01-23

Back to top Go down

OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration Empty Re: OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration

Post by RetrospectKustoms Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:51 am

Be interested to see what you make of this one..
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration Empty Re: OTB 1967 Mustang Malco Gasser Restoration

Post by allan Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

try caustic soda bath to remove paint,I made up one using a 4 litre ice cream container,put warm water in and tablespoon of caustic,put body in check it in few hours,found if you can put it out side in the sun it help to keep it warm.Oh ware gloves as it will burn your skin if you get it on skin pour vingar on it as it counteract the caustic.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Nighthoon Mon 27 Feb 2012, 9:32 pm

do you know how hard it is to get caustic soda here allan i work for a construction chemical supplier and its about as rare as hens teeth to find in large quantities anyway, i found that MEK is a good one for enamel and acrylic paints but you only need a little and u gotta be quick to keep washing it other wise you run the risk of melting the styrene plastic and dont try acetone! ive got a dodge challenger thats riddled with holes.... oh just had an idea for a shot up car diorama woot!
Nighthoon
Nighthoon
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon 27 Feb 2012, 9:53 pm

Nighthoon wrote:do you know how hard it is to get caustic soda here allan i work for a construction chemical supplier and its about as rare as hens teeth to find

.....Regular quantities are easy to find @ Coles or Woolworths, but Oven cleaner is far easier and faster to get off most paints though!!
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4564
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:21 pm

iagree with Paul me forgot about Mr muscle oven cleaner Embarassed
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:23 pm

DONT USE MEK to remove paint its a glue, it works the same way as plastic cement and will melt any plastic left in it
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5648
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:15 am

I have used brake fluid a couple of times now, seems to work pretty good I thought. Use a 2 inch paint brush with it and you can get all the paint out of the door openings, cowl vents, everything.
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by otherunicorn Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:23 am

caustic soda hard to get? It's called Draino/drain cleaner at the local supermarket, unless the supermarkets in "dunno" don't carry that sort of thing.

otherunicorn

Male Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Nighthoon Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:32 am

MEK is a last measure trick and you gotta be real dam quick and you have to wash it off quickly i used MEK to strip that orange camaro and washed it off with xylene before it had a chance to deform the plastic worked a treat paint came off like masking tape was brilliant but john is correct it is not recommended you dunk a model in it and leave it over night bad results will follow haha
Nighthoon
Nighthoon

Male Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum