AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gluing broken mirrors back onto models.

3 posters

Go down

Gluing broken mirrors back onto models. Empty Gluing broken mirrors back onto models.

Post by Alfaholic Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:36 pm

During the very slow but enjoyable modifying of my 1/18 Scale Alfa GTV i have broken one of the side mirrors off.What would be the best glue to use ?I was thinking of araldite which would then give me a bit of time to hold it in place perfectly with some blue tack. Yes.... no.... .. maybe what do you guys think.
Alfaholic
Alfaholic
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Gluing broken mirrors back onto models. Empty Re: Gluing broken mirrors back onto models.

Post by zenrat Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

What sort of joint area are we talking about and what material?
If styrene I like to always try to use styrene cement as it will weld the 2 parts and create the strongest joint - needs to be held in place for ages though.

Can you drill both parts & pin them for rigidity?

A pic would help.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Gluing broken mirrors back onto models. Empty Re: Gluing broken mirrors back onto models.

Post by mopar68 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm

If it's not going to be knocked around too much, some half-decent quality superglue should cut it. It's relatively strong and you won't have to hold it for long. Just make sure you don't use too much- just a dot should do the trick.
Otherwise, Zen's suggestion is a good one, just fiddlier Smile
mopar68
mopar68
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1386
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfaholic Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Its Plastic Zenrat. And here is a couple of pics.The bottom pic is just to show you how it should look from the other side ,not it fixed.
Gluing broken mirrors back onto models. RIMG0032Medium
Gluing broken mirrors back onto models. RIMG0029Medium

Alfaholic
Alfaholic
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:57 pm

Hard to tell if it's styrene and styrene cement will not work on all plastics.
However, you have enough meat there to drill and pin it (because you know you are going to knock it when you handle the model).
I make pins from the wire in the middle of twist ties. You want the bigger ones you get in toy packaging (although they increasingly seem to be using string) not the skinny little bread bag ones.
Drill a hole in the centre of the joint area of both parts being carefull not to drill too far and come out the other side of the mirror (been there, done that). You won't get it exactly right so use a drill bit that is bigger than the wire - slop is good as it allows alignment.
To glue this i'd probably use 5 minute epoxy as that gives you time for adjustment but you won't have to sit there al day holding it (plus superglue is brittle and could cloud the paint/window/mirror).
So, cut your pin to length and test fit it all without glue.
If it's OK to go then mix up some epoxy and using a toothpick dob some into both pin holes and on the joint faces.
Put pin in hole on car, put mirror over pin and wiggle into position.
The glue will take up the slop in the holes meaning no slop when it's set.
Now, while holding the mirror in place use your spare hand to get a cotton bud.
Moisten the bud (lick it - just make sure it's a clean one!) and wipe off the glue that has oozed out of the join.
Hold the mirror in place until the glue is set* - do not see if it is set by wiggling the mirror, poke the left over glue with the toothpick instead.

HTH

*this is when the phone rings or you get a sudden urge to pee

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfaholic Fri 07 Sep 2012, 10:42 am

Cheers mate thank you very much.Greatly appreciate it.
Alfaholic
Alfaholic
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down