AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER.

5 posters

Go down

KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER. Empty KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER.

Post by cruiseliner Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:45 pm

HI THERE CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE KENWORTH TRUCK USED FOR THE KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER IS THE SAME AS WATKINS .IS THE CHASSIS THE SAME LENGTH.SO WHAT I WANT TO FIND OUT IS IF I HAVE THE COMPLETE MIXER PARTS WILL IT FIT STRAIGHT ON THE WATKINS KENWORTH.ALSO ARE ANY OF THE MIXER PARTS THE SAME AS THE PAYSTAR MIXER.THANKS.
cruiseliner
cruiseliner
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER. Empty Re: KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER.

Post by rwaldram Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:56 pm

I believe they were both Kenworth W923's (being that they had Torsion Bar suspension), generally with these kits (the dump trucks, cement mixers and to a degree wreckers) the chassis is the same as the generic tractor versions. You just need to omit the sleeper cab (requires the fitting of a day cab rear wall), omit the 5th wheel (sometimes requires the removal and sanding of the mounts for this which were moulded into the chassis) and on some kits, the removal of a few mm in the rear end of the chassis.

I think the Revell 'Can Do' wrecker was the only one that required the chassis length be changed. Best way to figure it out is to just do a mock up of the body you're fitting, to the chassis you have (with cab and bonnet in rough position)

rwaldram
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER. Empty Re: KENWORTH CHALLENGE / TRANSIT MIXER.

Post by cruiseliner Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:42 pm

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
cruiseliner
cruiseliner

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjoh Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:29 pm

No need to fit a day cab rear wall, the cab for all AMT conventional KW's are the same, just a rear window opening.

The KW mixer kit was one of AMT's early releases so had the torsion bar rear suspension. A "real pain" to get everything lined up plus get all drive wheels sitting level.

From memory the KW mixer came with wider steer rims and flotation steer tyres, 2 piece white plastic that had to be glued together. Other than that it was exactly the same kit as the normal conventional KW

kevjoh

Male Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm

And cruise liner.
Turn off caps lock. Internet protocol is that all caps means you are shouting.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by hqmon Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:56 pm

In regard to the mixer it is not the same as the one n the paystar kit. The paystar on is of a larger capacity. I belive.
As mentioned above the kW is the same as the Watkins and Moveng on kits apart from the rear suspension.

hqmon

Male Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjoh Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:41 am

That's right, there were two mixer kits, the AMT Challenge Mixer which was only released the once, I don't think it has ever be re-released.
The other one was originally released by MPC as the Mack DM800 mixer, this version has a longer mixer bowl.
After AMT acquired MPC and Ertl it was released as the AMT Ertl International Paystar 5000 mixer. This release had two sets of chassis rails, the full Paystar chassis as well as the original DM 800 rails.

kevjoh

Male Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down