AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe

5 posters

Go down

"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe Empty "Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe

Post by Bernard Kron Fri 16 Oct 2015, 12:45 pm

"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4124-web_zpsjk5fsson
"Terrible Topolino” A/Fuel Competition Coupe

This is a project built for a Domestic/Foreign Challenge on the Vintage Drag Racing Forum. We had 90 days to complete a drag machine based either on a US body or a non-US one, with the classes eventually competing for the overall. The deadline was October 15th. I was traveling this past summer and would be away from my workbench until September 5th, giving me a month to get an entry in. I decided to work exclusively from parts I had in my stash. The basis was the AMT Too Much twin Front Engine Dragster which I shortened from a 187 scale inches wheelbase, pretty typical for the late 60’s and early 70’s to a mid-60’s classic 153 scale inches. I’ve always felt the mid 60’s diggers were the best proportioned ones. The body was an eBay purchase of many moons ago, a resin chopped Fiat Competition Coupe. Some web research reveals it to have been made by AFX Resins. This Fiat was the original 500 model made from 1936 to 1955 and popular in drag circles because it is very compact and light weight. In Italy this car was known as the “Little Mouse” or Topolino, ,hence the name of the car – Terrible Topolino – which formed the basis for my cutom made graphics. All the details are summarized below.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Chassis, driveline and suspension: AMT/Model King Too Much. Chassis shortened 1 1/3 inches. Chassis tubes filed to round section. Front wing fabricated from sheet styrene.
Bodywork: AFX Resins Fiat Topolino chopped competition coupe. Access hatch cut into roof. Transparent orange Plexiglas windows. Inner body panels fabricated from sheet styrene and finished in Testors Metalizer Aluminum Plate. Rear deck relief cut to house drag 'chute from Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit.
Motor: Kit 426 Hemi with Enderle “Barn Door” injectors from Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit. Enderle air scoop from Altered States Resins. All motor details finished in various shades of Testors Metalizer and Krylon Chrome Paint.
Wheels and tires: Kit front wheels and tires, AMT Parts pack 11" rear slicks with Halibrand "Bear Claw" rear wheels courtesy of Competition Resins, finished with Testors Acryl Jet Exhaust to represent Dow 7 coating.
Paint and graphics: Chassis finished in Duplicolor Grey primer and Duplicolor gloss Clear sealer. Main body and front wing finished in Duplicolor Oxford White and Clear sealer. All graphics designed and printed by the builder.

"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4095-web_zpsii1ywgdh
"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4144-web_zpsqori4jda
"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4128-web_zpsxrqnjztb
"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4114-web_zps8wojgdkq
"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4117-web_zps1nupmjxw
"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4117-cutaway_zpsaivb8ccu
"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4142-web_zpsy3v0cu9y

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe Empty Re: "Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe

Post by allan Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:48 pm

That's very cool. A+
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe Empty Re: "Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe

Post by dv8v8 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:07 pm

bigthumbsup
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5648
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by micsmav Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:17 am

wowwee ooh ! I like that , well done
micsmav
micsmav
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2009-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Sat 17 Oct 2015, 3:24 pm

Thanks so much guys. This turned out better than I thought it might. I guess working to a hard deadline helps focus the mind... I'm glad you all dig it!

Here's a picture I omitted from my last post - just a plain old side view:

"Terrible Topolino" Competition Coupe DSCF4104-web_zps2kh7w6gu
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Sat 17 Oct 2015, 7:14 pm

That has turned out a real treat Bernard, very well done mate.
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:07 pm

Thanx DeeCee!
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down