AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rusting with Andy

+2
tjjr07
Andy
6 posters

Go down

Rusting with Andy Empty Rusting with Andy

Post by Andy Sat 29 Mar 2008, 9:41 pm

Heyya people.. Heres how I do “barn find” rusters..
Just like the mustang and 49 mercury. As opposed to “paddock find” rusters… just like my early ford rustys.
I use the same stuff as Paul and Carps, but with the addition of tamiya pastels and rustall.( i only use this coz I’ve got it) I use the pastels more than rustall. I also have a rust coloured paint I mixed up by accident. I use this for small things like to rust springs that pop through seats.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1911

Either choose a model you built ages ago or grab a new kit and do a quick build on it… don’t worry about being clean, and don’t worry if the paint looks cruddy or has imperfections. It’ll all add to the look!
If you choose to use a new kit, slam that thing together.. get rid of seam lines but don’t worry about getting the plastic surface perfect…drill out the keyholes if you want…scrape off the badges (scripts)..don’t worry too much about getting the surface scratch free. Paint it up and give it a gloss.. doesn’t have to be good. No need to polish it! then get your flat clear and airbrush out…or you could just use a brush… apply to areas that would’ve been exposed to direct sunlight… ie, top of guards, bonnet, boot and roof…. Apply it unevenly and you will get glossy areas fading into dull, weather ridden looking paint. Again, don’t worry about being clean…..a bit of dust here and there, or a finger smudge is good. Let it all dry.
I use tamiya acrylics through an airbrush…it dries pretty quick…

For this demo Im using a 69 camaro . This kit was one of my first builds.. So its already painted, pretty amateur build. Definitely wasn’t a looker, but after this it’ll be a real head turner!!
I start off by ripping the car apart. Rusting with Andy DSCF1904
I scrape the badges off and drill a hole in the boot and the doors where the keyholes are.. Drill some holes where mirrors are meant to be and a small hole where the aerial would be…(if your subject car has one that is) I also cut one of the wipers off..
Rusting with Andy DSCF1910
I’m now going to hit the body with flat clear.. doesn’t need much as this model was never clear coated.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1922
If you want a dent or 2 just grab your trusty lighter.. I like to use a jet lighter…It heats up quicker….but you can do more unwanted damage with this type of lighter. From the inside of the body, heat the plastic up in the spot you want the dent. After a few seconds of heat, push the plastic from the outside of the body and hold it in until the plastic cools….(plastic is VERY HOT at this point…you may want to use something the size of your finger to push the hot plastic).
Rusting with Andy DSCF1930
Now is the time for the messy work. Grab your “dentist drill” (dremel) and some small grinding bits. I used to use small drum sander bits, but they wear out extremely quick.
Heres a pic of the bits I use.. they cost between $15-$20 each. But well worth the money.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1918

Start grinding all the inside of the body….Grind more in places where you want rust holes…don’t grind all the way through, unless you are after large rust holes.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1926

Once this is done, grab your knife with a number 11 blade and push either from the inside or the outside where you want the little holes.. You can also use a pin for this..
Using your knife, make little cuts in the holes.. rough edges are what we are after.
Some of the edges can be carefully pushed in or pulled outward to achieve the desired rust eaten look.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1928
Rusting with Andy DSCF1929
Rough up some of the body with the edge of a file… just lightly… especially in places where dents are.

Now grab the Metal Effect Iron paint and and old small brush.. Splash the iron paint on, in and behind the holes you made… lightly brush it in places you want a little surface rust to come through. Give it a couple of coats, let dry between coats.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1938

When its dry grab your rust activator and using a brush, wash the solution onto the iron painted bits. Give it another going over with the activator and set aside for an hour or so.
In this time, the activator will be rusting up the iron paint. Heres a pic 30 mins after applying the activator. I sit my model in my spray booth with the light on….helps on these cold Melbourne days.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1947

Theres still more work to do on the body, but while that oxidizes we will move on to the next lesson.

PART 2 - Undercarrage

Im going to be using rustall and pastels on the underneath, firewall and radiator.
For those who aren’t familiar with rustall, it’s a 4 part rusting system. Bottle 1 is a rust solution.(rust coloured paint!) bottle 2 is a black wash, bottle 3 is just a watered down flat clear…..and bottle 4.. wow.a bottle of dirt from some dudes driveway from some foreign land…..
Just paint under the car flat black.. Then wash solution 1 of rustall over the surface with a thick brush. Let it almost dry and add some more of bottle 1 to add more rust. Once that has almost dried move onto bottle two, let almost dry… I skip bottle 3 here and move onto bottle 4. sprinkle the dirt over the surface… now go back to bottle 3 and wash it onto the surface, mainly over where the dirt is. When this dries it’ll make the dirt dry up nicely.
Before any weathering.. Rusting with Andy DSCF1913
After using the 4 part Rustall system.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1939

I use some the tamiya pastels now. Just lightly brushing it into different spots around the chassis.
After the pastels were applied. Rusting with Andy DSCF1942

That’s pretty much it for that part. We’ve still got the pastel work to do on the body, the interior and tyres need a good beatin! Then we’ll put it together adding some final touches and make a neat little diorama base for it.

Heres a before and after pic of the motor. I used a combo of rustall and paint..
Rusting with Andy DSCF1925
Rusting with Andy DSCF1948
Andy
Andy
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2008-03-21

https://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/AndyDubz/Models/

Back to top Go down

Rusting with Andy Empty Re: Rusting with Andy

Post by tjjr07 Tue 01 Apr 2008, 2:24 pm

i would say you used the perfect car ( kit ) for this demo...
great demo, but i just cant bring myself to try it yet lol
tjjr07
tjjr07
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Tue 01 Apr 2008, 4:37 pm

Nice lesson Andy.

Never thought that Rustall kit would create such a good effect.

So when do we get the next lesson?
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3168

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue 01 Apr 2008, 6:41 pm

Heres the next lesson people.......

Part 3 – Interior

The interior is pretty straight forward. To make rips in the floor covering etc, cover the floor and the top of the dash with tape and cut it into place nicely. Make some cuts in the tape and pull the cuts aside slightly.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1951

The seats can be trashed by heating the underneath of them with a lighter and pushing down in the spot you want the “sag” in the seat. Just the same as making dents!
Make some holes for some springs to pop through. Do the same to the back seat and the front seats..
Rusting with Andy DSCF1952

I used fabric black from a can.. I like the thickness of it.. It covers the lines in the tape well.. When dry, Hit the whole interior with flat clear… several coats in different places will result in a well weathered vinyl interior.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1954

When its dry, I make some springs out of thin wire. Using a pin, wind the wire around the pin until you have a decent size. Now stretch out the spring slightly and cut little pieces off and glue them into the little holes made in the seats.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1957

This is where I use my rust coloured paint. Brush all springs with this paint. Run a black wash over them when dry.
I decided to put some photoetched spanners instead of the steering wheel.. easy done! (these can be purchased through detaildownunder.com.au (photoetched interior junk).
Just a piece of styrene rod carved at the end to fit the spanners.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1988b

Rusting with Andy DSCF1958

Now the windscreen, to make a broken, cracked windscreen. Using a small drill bit, make a hole halfway through the windscreen in the spot you would like the “impact” spot to be. From that hole, use your number 11 blade and make a spider web like pattern. Run some black wash through it. I used sharp scissors to cut the big chunk out. Glue windscreen in place.
Interior can be put back together now.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1960

The tyres are simple.. I use my lighter and for a few seconds I heat up a small part of the tyre and rub my thumb over it to smooth out the tread.. Do this until the tyre is completely worn up. Run some rough sandpaper over the entire tyre.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1955

The mag wheels, I use rustall and then over the top I use a bit of flat grey.. Different sorts of metals Carps and Paul talk about in their posts on rust, how metals rust different, or don’t rust at all.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1962b

Put the whole car together. This is where I do all my pastel work.. Using the orange rust colour and then the brown rust colour, I apply over entire body, using my fingers and the applicator to apply the pastels. I keep going until the desired effect is achieved.
Use some black wash on various parts to darken the rust pattern.
When the rusting is done, I glue a photoetched coat hanger into the aerial hole and paint it rust coloured.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1962

We're nearly done..............
Andy
Andy
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue 01 Apr 2008, 7:17 pm

The final lesson

Part 4 - Little details and the diorama base…..

A loose bumper or guard? Easily fixed.. cut thin strips of black masking tape and stick it on those loose panels…. Gaffa tape will hold anything on 1-1 scale cars.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1966

Lets make a tarp..
Cut some kitchen al-foil and place over the car. Cut desired size. Now press into place to get the shape and then paint both sides flat blue or whatever colour you want your tarp to be.
When dry either glue it into place or just place it back on the car loosely. Add a couple of trashed tyres to weigh down the tarp.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1969

Now the diorama base.
Bunnings sell a variety of wood bases that are suitable for diorama’s. Or you could make your own.
First I use a spray bottle filled with diluted wood glue. I spray the entire base and sprinkle some sand over the whole thing.. an uneven, lively ground base for the grass.
I use the thin super glue and squirt it over the sand in a snake pattern. I then squirt the kick start accelerater over the super glue covered sand and it sets up straight away.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1965

Squirt the base with the diluted wood glue and sprinkle your grass flocking over. Add as much or as little as you want. I then give it another spray with the diluted wood glue and set it aside to dry.. It will take a good handful of days to completely dry.
Add some detail to the area if you want. I chose to put some oil puddles in, I also decided on taking the passenger seat out and sat that into place on the base.. As the grass dries the seat should get become fixed.
Rusting with Andy DSCF1970
Sit the car in place or glue it in. I just sit mine in and the grass usually fixes it as it dries.

Add as much or as little detail as you want.
I added a mechanic tinkering with the motor, a battery on the grass next to the front wheel, with the cables being chewed by a dog….. So this diorama will be called. “A Shocking Camaro”

Finished Diorama..
Rusting with Andy DSCF1977
Rusting with Andy DSCF1978
Rusting with Andy DSCF1980
Rusting with Andy DSCF1981
Rusting with Andy DSCF1982
Rusting with Andy DSCF1983
Rusting with Andy DSCF1984

Im still learning, so if there are any tips or tricks you have for weathering, please add them..

Remember………if you stuff it.. RUST IT! bounce
Andy
Andy
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Apr 2008, 10:14 pm

First off luv the dog with the battery leads, This is one great tute on how to rust a car, I enjoyed reading and have learnt enough to give it a try on my next yank tank. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Fri 04 Apr 2008, 11:48 pm

Thanx Andy, when it comes to rust, you're a genius.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3168

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Apr 2008, 3:18 am

Found all the gear needed to do the rusting of cars in my local hobby shop yesterday April 7th will have to buy some and get to work on one of older kits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun 06 Apr 2008, 6:17 am

Im glad this tute has gone as well as it has...

Rust em up!
Andy
Andy
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Rusting with Andy Empty rust

Post by allan Sun 06 Apr 2008, 10:28 am

that car looks like it be draged out of water,tops.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Thu 06 May 2010, 2:23 pm

Back to the top.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Tue 18 Jan 2011, 1:19 pm

Some of our newer members may have missed Andy's terrific article on rusting so here it is - bloody marvellous. Laughing

aus
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down