AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny

+3
DeeCee
70cudatj
R36_Adelaide
7 posters

Go down

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny Empty Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny

Post by R36_Adelaide Fri 08 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm

Hi guys,

I've decided to take on this ambitious project. Basically I had an old Denso Sard Supra kit which I had completely stuffed the body on but otherwise I hadn't touched the rest of the kit. I also had in the stash a Tamiya 86 and C-one Rocket Bunny transkit.

Now most of you the whole rocket bunny thing has been done to death in the scaled world so I thought let's do something different. After a few eyeball measurements the chassis dimensions of each kit were pretty close, apart from the fuel cell at the back which has been chopped away for now but will make a re-appearance later. I've only got these mock-up pics for now but you get the idea. There was some modification needed at the front too with the horizontal radiator removed and the chassis rails chopped back a bit which I'll put up in a later post.

I'll be using the Rocket Bunny fenders, skirts and possible rear diffuser along with the Supra kits rear wing, integrate the bonnet vents from the supra kit, fender mirrors, entire chassis and drivetrain, with all the other interior details like the cage, dash, seat etc (that fits as you can see in the photo). Last but not least it will have the full castrol livery that the Supras ran in the JGTC in the mid 90's.

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMAG0005

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMAG0007
R36_Adelaide
R36_Adelaide
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2016-02-02

Back to top Go down

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny Empty Re: Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny

Post by 70cudatj Fri 08 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

twothumbsup 
popcorn
70cudatj
70cudatj
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2059
Registration date : 2012-04-09

Back to top Go down

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny Empty Re: Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny

Post by DeeCee Fri 08 Jul 2016, 9:44 pm

That's gonna be sick!!
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Ol'55 Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:20 pm

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny Rooste12 Yup and?....
Jerry Ol'55
Jerry Ol'55
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by R36_Adelaide Sat 09 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm

Jerry Ol'55 wrote:Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny Rooste12 Yup and?....

I don't for the life of me get what you are trying to say...
R36_Adelaide
R36_Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Ol'55 Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:22 pm

It's either my warped sense of humor Smile... or my medication kicking in!...
You're dazzling me with model builder's science here, and I don't even know what a "Rocket Bunny" is?...
One thing is for sure R36, and that is I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article! (hence my impatient Rooster).
Another thing R36 mate..... Welcome to this forum!... It's a lot of fun & very informative. twothumbsup
Jerry Ol'55
Jerry Ol'55
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by R36_Adelaide Sun 10 Jul 2016, 1:04 pm

Ah the ol' Impatient Rooster, now it makes sense!

I'll give you a bit more info about what "Rocket Bunny" is. Basically it's a Japanese tuning firm that design bodykits with the design brief being big overfender flares, no ride height, massive rear wings and deep dish wheels with lots of camber. The Toyota 86 was the first kit they designed but they've now got kits for anything from an R35 GTR to a Ferrari 458.

This is what a Toyota 86 with a Rocket Bunny kit looks like...

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny AY0F3304

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny Maxresdefault

Here's an image of the Supra that I'm trying to replicate with the kit, pretty sure it was 1995 in the JGTC (they also had a couple of Supras in similar specification run around Le Mans that year too).

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny A70c4158275a4171da790d414cc2ff47

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny 8012682446_a7952dfcc2

and to give you an idea of how it's evolved to today, this is what Toyota/Lexus is currently running in the Super GT championship in Japan...

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny LexusRCFRound7

Personally I've got a soft spot for the more simpler styling of the Supra and cars that raced back then, the new stuff is awesome too but unfortunately no-one has brought out a 1/24 kit yet

and finally a couple more progress pics, shows how much chassis was chopped away, I'm going to try and shorten/refit the fuel tank.

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMAG0009

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMAG0010
R36_Adelaide
R36_Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Ol'55 Sun 10 Jul 2016, 7:59 pm

Ahhh now I see R36.  I've kinda got the jist as to what you were going on about.
Don't mind us "Ol' Farts" mate, it's just some like me aren't "up to speed" with all the new race technology & fandangles.
Good luck with your build mate, by the look of what you intend to do, this car should turn out awesome! twothumbsup
Jerry Ol'55
Jerry Ol'55
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Wed 13 Jul 2016, 5:27 pm

Looks good so far. I like it. PS R36..RB has been around a long time doing his thing, well and truly before the '86.
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by R36_Adelaide Sat 16 Jul 2016, 1:07 pm

All good, I don't mind being on here even though my subjects don't quite fit in with the majority of what gets built on here. Modelling is modelling and I still pick up some great ideas and skills on here!

On the model itself I haven't got much more to show other that resizing and gluing the fuel tank back to the chassis. I'm moving house in 2 weeks so it will all be getting packed up. I'll hopefully have a little bit of time before Sept as then I'm off to the US for a month. Which reminds me.... Anyone that's been to the US, are there any model stores worth visiting over there? I'll be around LA, Vegas, San Fran and NY.
R36_Adelaide
R36_Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sat 16 Jul 2016, 1:32 pm

Thats looking good A+
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by R36_Adelaide Tue 09 Aug 2016, 10:00 pm

In between moving house over the past couple of weeks I've managed to get my model bench setup and back into this one. All the chassis/suspension is complete bar the exhaust which needs to be shorted/reshaped to fit into the Rocket Bunny diffuser. Below I've test fitted the lip and side skirt, I'm thinking they will end up covered in CF. The front and rear guards are glued on, I need to have another go at the front one to get it to sit better near the fog light.

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMAG0025

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMAG0026
R36_Adelaide
R36_Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon Wed 10 Aug 2016, 8:57 pm

Neat!
popcorn popcorn
Antwon
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by R36_Adelaide Thu 18 Aug 2016, 11:12 pm

Ok Time for a bit of an update!

Castrol Livery has been ordered, went with the Shunko decals as the 97 version didn't have the small vents in the bonnet which I couldn't fit into the 86's... it will make sense once I start applying them.

This is my first go at a resin transkit... it's taken quite a few attempts, lots of cutting the body and filler required to get it how it looks now. I spliced the splitter from the supra kit with the Rocket Bunny lip so now I have something to mount the intercooler on. Put some primer on and did a couple of mock ups with to see how the stance looks. Took quite a bit of heat to bend the exhaust into a shape that fitted better with the diffusor outlet. Might see if I can get some colour on it before I head overseas for a month. Hope you like the pics!

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_3953

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_3954

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_3958

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_3961

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_3962
R36_Adelaide
R36_Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by R36_Adelaide Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:32 pm

Interior done and now has some colour (well black and white). Still need to do one more body coat then I can move onto the decals.

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_4756

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_4757

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_4762

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_4763

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_4765

Castrol Toms Toyota 86/Supra/Rocket Bunny IMG_4767
R36_Adelaide
R36_Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum