AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat

4 posters

Go down

Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat Empty Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat

Post by Bernard Kron Tue 10 Oct 2017, 10:14 am

I'm not sure if you will allow this since it has no wheels, except on the trailer... But it's certainly part of the hot rod culture. I'll understand if you nuke it.

I’ve been experimenting with large scale decals to do elaborate graphics and paint effects, and nothing says paint effects more loudly and clearly than “Boat Flake”, the wild MetalFlake color schemes seen on high performance ski boats and hydros. These paint jobs are often done by embedding the colors and matalflake in the gel coat of the fiberglass giving them a special 3D depth  all their own. I’ve discovered that by layering clear decals stock over a metalflake base I can get somewhat the same effect. I’ve done a dew cars with this technique, but never very large paint surfaces like you’d see on a boat.

So…. I decided to build a Show N’ Go Drag Boat of the kind seen in the 1960’s at custom car shows. I’m starting with a late 1990’s issue of the recently re-released Revell Hemi Hydro. The 392 Chrysler Hemi that’s included in the kit (with Chrysler branded valve covers, even) is so sweet that I’ve decided to keep it for an automobile build and I’m substituting a Revell Parts Pack blown Ford 427. Sand for once I won’t be stripping all the chrome off. Instead I’ll be keeping most of it and even doing some Kolor Krome on some of the parts. Here’s the engine block and the Kolor Chromed valve covers, blower casing, accessory drive and ,injector scoop, along with orange ‘flaked engine block:

Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat Motor_Color_Summary_web

The Hemi Hydro is pretty basic and the instrument panel is totally blank except for some weakly engraved instrument dials. So I cut the instrument nacelles out of a ’53 Studebaker dashboard and grafted them in place along with a raised trim piece which extends the length of the panel. The trim will be foiled and the nacelles finished with Molotow Chrome paint. I’ll use an auto-style steering wheel as well. The rest of the interior is still up in the air while I research show-style ski boats and come up with a plan. I’ll probably use some of the kit tuck ‘n’ roll panels, though. Here’s the dash as I have it so far:

Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat DSCF5978_web

And lastly, I’ve got the graphics going. The hull and deck were painted with Duplicolor MetalCast Silver Ground paint which gives a pretty true to scale metalflake in 1/25th. I designed and printed a deck decal and applied it. It took a couple of tries but I think I have the basis for the design now. I’ve also laid out the masking panels for the rear and side panels. In the composite below I’ve included the original art for the deck decal, and a picture of the hull and deck the way they are now, with the silver flake base coat and the deck decal applied, giving the red to gold fade and scalloped pattern I’m going after. The areas on the rear and sides that will get the scallop and fade treatment have been masked and the rest of the hull and interior will be painted Candy Red using Tamiya Clear Red. The two pictures of the red boat were done with Photoshop – I haven’t actually shot any color yet, although the masking is in place. The panels you see on the sides and rear in these pictures are mockups and not the final design. Here’s where I’m at graphically at this point:

Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat Paint_Mockup_Summary

That’s it so far. This project, while basically simple will move fairly slowly I suspect, since there’s lots of Imagineering and design decisions to make and I enter the strange new world of drag boats. I also have to do the matching trailer while I’m at it…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat Empty Re: Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat

Post by Yahshu Thu 12 Oct 2017, 2:13 pm

Looks good so far
Yahshu
Yahshu
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2011-12-20

Back to top Go down

Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat Empty Re: Revell Hemi-Hydro Show 'n' Go Drag Boat

Post by Deaf as Sun 15 Oct 2017, 6:54 am

Coming along nicely, great colours especially over the chromed engine parts!
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Sun 12 Nov 2017, 10:37 am

Gorgeous paint B.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum