AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Masking windows

5 posters

Go down

Masking windows Empty Masking windows

Post by ash74 Wed 30 Mar 2016, 9:33 pm

Hello All

This is my first post. I usually build cars, mostly NASCAR. I am stuck on masking & painting windows. I have tried using maskol, but it tears when I cut it. I am using a brand new blade. I briefly tried foil, it gave the detail to cut, but I wasn't sure how to stick it down. Does anyone have a simple foolproof way to mask windows. Thanks

Ashleigh

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2016-03-13

Back to top Go down

Masking windows Empty Re: Masking windows

Post by slowlylearning Thu 31 Mar 2016, 4:58 am

Not sure what you mean by masking windows, so here's a short tutorial on masking the clear parts as well as making around window trim Smile  They're pretty self explanatory but if something doesn't make sense feel free to ask for more details.  

Masking windows 1_zpsoyldj92g  

Masking windows 2_zpsg75qykyp

Masking windows 3_zpstnwausgx

Masking windows 4_zpska26tiun

And here's the window trim masking (obviously you'd mask the rest of the car too, but I just did around the windows for the sake of getting this uploaded quicker Very Happy  

Masking windows 5_zps84tbzv0i

Masking windows 6_zpsdfwd35fj

Masking windows 7_zps2kemsvmv

Masking windows 8_zpsxozdxrfd

Masking windows 9_zpsqx89zfuv

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Thu 31 Mar 2016, 9:56 am

most ppl fit the windows after the body has been painted, this eliminates the need to mask the windows
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5648
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by ash74 Thu 31 Mar 2016, 11:59 am

Hello Slowlylearning & dv8v8

dv8v8, I understand where your going. I have Plymouth Fury that I don't have to mask. Unfortunately the NASCAR's have a lot of framing, hence the need to mask to paint the frames. I would not be doing any more work then I need too

Slowlylearning, everything is self explanatory, but I have 2 questions, more learning what they are. I am not sure what the tape is? also what the thing with grey lead in is? is it compass or a caliper? other then that everything looks straight forward

Thank you both for your suggestions & knowledge, they are very much appreciated

Thanks
Ashleigh

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Thu 31 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm

I got the tape here- http://www.bnamodelworld.com/u-star-ua-90012-50-masking-tape-width-50mm-length-18m It's out of stock, but you can get Tamiya brand yellow masking tape at almost any hobby shop. Yep the silver thing is a Jasco mathematics compass, when you buy a set you never look back! Just like buying a pinvise, it has so many uses!

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by ash74 Thu 31 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

Yay finally got a maths question right!!! LOL. I will keep an eye out for the both products. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I might have the courage to post finish products here, if they turn out OK.

Ash

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon Thu 31 Mar 2016, 9:25 pm

Post up your builds anyway Ash, most of us are not masters of the hobby, just enthusiasts.
We are all keen to see some-one else's work and ideas, don't be shy, they're all good people here.

Cheers
Antwon
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ash74 Wed 13 Apr 2016, 3:53 pm

Hi all

Hope someone is still watching? Antwon I may post some pictures pretty happy, how model is progressing. Might even have two to post.

Slowlylearning or anyone else for that matter. The masking technique you showed me works a treat. Thank you so much. Could I trouble you for one more bit of advice, if you know how? I have had a little bit bleed through. Do you or does anyone know how to remove small spots of acrylic paint. Obviously it all on clear plastic. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you all

Ash

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Wed 13 Apr 2016, 7:12 pm

Polycarbonate Bodycleaner from Tamiya works wonders with acrylic paint. Or gently use a toothpick to scrape the bleedthrough away verrrry gently Smile

It's best to use an airbrush rather than a spraycan for models, because you can have more control over the amount of paint that goes on the model/parts. Brush painting is a better alternative than spraying for window masking, just make sure most of the excess paint on the brush is wiped on the mouth of the jar. Good luck! You could put up a thread for your builds in the WIP section of this forum so we can watch along if you want Very Happy

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by ash74 Wed 13 Apr 2016, 8:30 pm

Thank you again slowly learning. I brush paint everything. I have tried the spray cans, with limited success. An airbrush is a pipe dream for the moment, as I don't have the space. I could give the WIP section a go for the next build. But I am very grateful for your help, with added bonus that your suggestions are easy to get & available.

Ash

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Wed 13 Apr 2016, 9:29 pm

There's guys here that do absolutely astonishing spraycan paintjobs here, it's more than possible, I just prefer the airbrush. Getting the cans nice and warm and doing light coats I think is how they do it. Airbrushes can be had pretty cheap, I got mine from Aldi for $100, the set came with a compressor, a double action topfeed airbrush and a gravity feed double action one.

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon Wed 13 Apr 2016, 9:35 pm

Just another quick tip about paint bleeding under the tape, make sure you push down the tape along the edge with your fingernail or a piece of balsa, but you already knew that. Smile
Also if you are masking up bodies to do multiple colours, a good tip is to brush a little clear along the edge of the tape so the top colour can't bleed underneath.

Cheers
Antwon
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by mutley Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm

the way I've found to do the black edging is with a texta. angle it on the edge of the glass, press down a bit and run it around, no need to mask...

mutley
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ash74 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 11:05 am

Hello All

I want to thank everyone for there tips. They have given me a lot to try & perfect. I really appreciate all the help, it has started to improve my skill's base. Thanks

Ash

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: