AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017.

+5
silverfox
allan
mgy125
dv8v8
Carps
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. Empty Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017.

Post by Carps Wed 15 Mar 2017, 2:41 pm

Having caught up with a few of the boards Non Luminaries last Sunday I was reminded that somehow I've neglected to add my next offshore sojourn to the board.

So, let's take a quick look at some of the model cars displayed at the Grand National Roadster Show, held over the last weekend in January 2017. There's some pretty talented model builders in the LA area and it shows in the stuff on the tables, like this seriously modified Corvette racer.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTM2560_zpsdfe3ayhb

Or this street version of the same car.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTO2562_zpsrufdismj

The car hauler is not a kit that I've ever seen, making me think it's been created from another kit/kits or scratch built.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTC2550_zps8frtvzcd

The small dioramas were pretty well done.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTD2551_zpsdf6to9r5

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTA2548_zpsztu0kmyl

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTB2549_zpsbrnqemqf

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CSX2545_zpssyadf59b

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CSY2546_zps7wp8bqy1

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTE2552_zpsr9txbxqq

The restored original 1/1 scale Roth truck was parked nearby, let me know if you want to see it and I'll add some pics.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CSW2544_zpsi2rstyl9

Of course there were a few models built from only the parts in one box.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CSV2543_zpsqb8mo3jk

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTJ2557_zpsdcyohkne

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTH2555_zpsoe6uwrkx

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTN2561_zps9myq6yfp

Or maybe the parts in two boxes.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTS2566_zpshwyzqaxo

However, just like the 1/1 scale cars, there's always one that stands out and this is it.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CWZ2651_zps5uur3axv

This is not a 1/24 scale plastic kit, but an entirely scratch built, fully functional (yep, it runs and drives!) 1/8 scale model made from the same materials as the original car on which it is based.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CXC2654_zps5hes60m3

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CWY2650_zps5envsinc

And yes, that Hemi is a nitro burner and it sounds just like a full sized top fueler, AWESOME! is a bit of an understatement.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CWX2649_zpsmnypuffy

Lemme know if you'd like to see the 1/1 cars or maybe some of the for sale cars that I was able to check out around the LA and St Louis areas.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3168
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. Empty Re: Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017.

Post by dv8v8 Wed 15 Mar 2017, 5:26 pm

thanks Carps, i would like to see more pics, never get tired of seeing the things u find
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5646
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. Empty Re: Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017.

Post by mgy125 Thu 16 Mar 2017, 3:17 pm

Yes, please for more pictures. I always enjoy your trip photos.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Fri 17 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

Thank's for sharing them yes please on more photos.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Fri 17 Mar 2017, 5:55 pm

OK, because you asked so nicely, I’ll start with my favourite roadster of the whole show!  The one that almost made me wet my pants when I clapped eyes on it the first time.  Matt Gordon's 'Time Merchant' is close enough to being the perfect hot rod that it got my vote for top car of show. It may not have won the big trophy but to my eye and mind it’s simply gorgeous!  A perfect combination of the right colour, detail and just enough shiny chrome plate to make it cooler than dry ice.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BIK1596_zpsdpng8jq7

I could not find a single thing that I'd change on this car, or even consider changing, it has everything covered, stance, attitude, a mountain  of cool and everything else that screams pure hot rod!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXT1319_zpstrkhhbnm

Power is provided by a genuine Rocket J2 and check out those mudguards, they look perfect for the car and sure would help it get an Aussie license plates.  I tried to imagine it without them and figured it'd look unfinished and dumb.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXS1318_zpsixzxitrz

The chrome work is also flawless.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXQ1316_zps7dsq16jo

As is the light metallic blue paintwork.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXO1314_zps4sbvnncq

The wood floorboards in the bed look like they wuz growed especially for this car.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQI2478_zpstk8twpq8

And the upholstery leather is dyed to match it perfectly, as are the engine and transmission colours, that's what I call detailing in the extreme.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. GL193_zpshehbhe9c

There's also lots more cool details and tricks.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. GI190_zpsutqstdoe

Yup, this be the one I kept going back to and wanted to bring home.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXP1315_zpswmorlklx

That said, I think I shot waaaay too many pictures this year, so there's quite a lot more to come starting with last years AMBR winner, Daryl Hollenbeck's sublime in the extreme Deuce which is also finished to perfection.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BVN1937_zpsoapwuwn4

So simple it's hard to imagine how it won.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BVL1935_zps7eskwwre

Until you look closely at all the amazing details, even on the tyres.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BVM1936_zpssjusx9uu

After Shock! Was built by Rick Dore for Glen McElroy and labelled as a completely hand built car, mounted to a 1937 Ford Chassis by Art Morrison.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BIQ1602_zpsdi6gixjr

I think it may have lost some points for the rear license plate, which appeared to have been just screwed onto the back of the car with a couple of self-tappers.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BIO1600_zpsrpuqn0md

‘Boss 32’ is Don & Cathy Linfors' home built Deuce Roadster Pickemup.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. FL167_zpsrmlgwkrm

A sweet car that looks great from any angle.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. FI164_zpsldofgvzt

Wayne Johnson calls his track nosed '29 Roadster ‘Probiscis’.  It's powered by a 420 cubic inch small block Ford that makes 537 neddies.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BVQ1940_zpscscjy17p

Jim Mc Pherson's 1934 Ford Tub is a very well built and detailed machine which has clearly seen a whole bunch of road miles.  That it was included among the contenders with so much road rash had many scratching their heads, until they looked closer at the way it was built and all intricate details.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. GM194_zps0flqoadd

Bill Grant's '28 A is a study in hot rodding history, right down to the Miller OHC banger and ….

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. FC158_zps8lrhb32x

…..chrome plated rods for the mechanical brakes.   Shocked

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. FB157_zps6dgicy3z

James Hetfield's Deuce is another built from the best vintage speed equipment and hot rod parts.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXU1320_zpsii6ncgoo

For some contrast……

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BEP1497_zpsnv739ngz

…. how about a big Ford Hemi power plant?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. HY232_zps0e4e3xqj

…. in yet another Deuce Roadster Pick-up.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. IA234_zpsq8het8rg

Black is definitely the popular hue, favoured equally by hot roders or so it seems, as it was by old Hank hisself.  It's used to good effect on Gordon and Carolina Gray's British Columbia (that’s in Canadia) based Brookville road-duster..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. GX205_zpsovbbyeqe

Closer inspection of Scott Hawley and Joe Rebozzi's Deuce revealed it to be blue and not the dark shade popular with Batman and many of this years contenders..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. GS200_zpswgckoh7e

No mistaking what colour is Dan Petersen's Deuce Highboy.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. HL219_zpss4g0xizt

It's Hemi powered………

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. HS226_zpsvuwtgovh

…..and detailed to the max!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. HupsideO222_zpsde4iakcb

Almost got my vote just for not being black.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AYJ1335_zpsv8krobmy

Matt Taylor dared to be different, using a vintage Dodge as the basis for his sixties style kustom-rod.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BVU1944_zpsfvk2gdba

OOPS!, seems I may have forgotten to note down the details on this little red roadster.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. FR173_zpsdwc7aap4

It’s a pretty cool and worthy contender no matter which way you look at it.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. FU176_zpsc7j0horb

However, there can be only one winner and this year this great big 9 foot tall trophy……

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BIU1606_zps16pxyjh3

………went home in the rumble seat of a custom built Packard!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BEL1493_zpstqqg6q63

It was one way cool ride and the crowd that was six deep around it all weekend made getting a decent photograph almost impossible, but I managed to get a couple or three.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. HA208_zpselexv49j

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. GZ207_zpscolcgyur
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Fri 17 Mar 2017, 6:09 pm

wowwee wowwee wowwee Some nice wheels there.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by silverfox Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:48 pm

Thanks for posting these great pics , it is much appreciated. You are right about that blue roadster you like , it looks so sweet .
silverfox
silverfox
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1181
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sat 18 Mar 2017, 8:39 am

Thanks for more photos, Ya the blue roadster pickup is so sweeeet so are a few others, Like the Vintage Dodge roadster too. Thanks bigthumbsup
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sat 18 Mar 2017, 10:47 am

So I guess that means you would like to see more?  It could take a while as I shot quite a few thousand images at the show and other places I visited, or went shopping.

Anyhow, without further ado, here's my top ten cars from almost 800 on display inside the 8 buildings that make up the indoor part of the Grand National Roadster Show.  I'm sure once I've posted more images of the other cars everybody will have a different opinion to mine and that's the joy of hot rodding and model building too.  We are all individuals with individual tastes and we all like what we like.

My undisputed number one choice by a country mile!  

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. KE290_zpszsgnaqxp

The remaining nine started in order but then as I ran through the list I struggled to decide which I like better, so they are sort of but not really in any particular order, I'd be happy to have them all in my garage..

John D'Agostino truly outdid himself this time taking a butt ugly late model Packard/Studebaker four door sedan and transforming another usually ignored car, into a thing of amazing beauty.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BJY1636_zpsiuilitd3

Despite having a big chunk removed from the wheelbase to create a roadster, it's about a the same length overall as it was before the work started.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BJE1616_zps8lvzhu80

Interior is pretty too.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CBF2085_zpsednmbpkd

Grille detail, is subtle and unbelievably simple, in fact few of the modifications are as radical as they appear to be.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BJH1619_zpsqhtbliqs

Doesn't matter from which angle it's viewed this is a thing of beauty.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. RK478_zpszgzhuj0h

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. RJ477_zpsskd5kbdw

Difficult to imagine that a frumpy old 1941 Chevrolet coupe could look sooo sleek and smooth.  Hardly appears modified other than the chop but has lotsa subtle custom tricks and a working illuminated Pontiac Hood Mascot.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. S18_zpszbokofnw

The details….

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. F5_zpsqwdrfm9l

The angles…..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. Q16_zpsnqa4e9pu

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. L11_zps58c5n5kk

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. J9_zpsapahtogq

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. G6_zpsiortyfpn

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. K10_zps4wmrvev6

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. C2_zpskqdy812b

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. E4_zpst5t8oe78

This one is a bonafide old hot rod from back in the day, it was chopped in 1951 at the Barris shop.  The upholstery is the original done by Gaylords also in 1951.  The paint was redone in 1981 to match the worn out original black with white striping.  The current owner is Mike Thompson and in the fifties it was owned by NHRA drag racing legend Don Rackeman then in the early sixties by another legend of the quarter mile, Joe Pisano.  A little bit of history on wheels.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BPR1785_zpsdf0figf2

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DK114_zps0rmx762c

Tony Mullen's '60 Caddy Coupe de Ville may seem an odd choice, but take a closer look.  The car is flawless and detailed beyond what I've ever seen on any Cadillac.  The body gaps and finish are perfect and consistent and would have taken a bunch of time plus special skill to make all those curves so perfectly smooth.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CBK2090_zpsks76kqr7

The interior is no less tastefully decorated.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CBO2094_zpspg54s8hs

If you told me you wuz gunna paint your hot rod pink I'd shudder and shake my head.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BWI1958_zpstzcr2z3m

So what can I say about this?  The same thing I'd say about any hot rod, get the wheels, stance and colour right then nothing else matters.  

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BWJ1959_zpsbbsj01uq

However, no matter which way you look at it, the colour just works!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQZ2495_zpsdnevvjzr

And this baby has a lot more to reveal, the interior is no less stunning.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CUH2581_zps6eaptphd

With so many Tri Five Chevys on display (they were this years theme car) in one huge hall, it should have been hard to choose just one, but this baby was a stand out.  Owned and operated by Barry Joseph of Colorado Springs, it's a heavyweight champeen.  An all steel 100% street legal '56 Two door weighing in at a hefty 3,730 pounds.  It has a Reese box type trailer hitch on the back, which gets plenty of use and as you can see there's no big supercharger to protrude through the almost stock hood.  However, looking through the windows reveals a multi point roll cage surrounding the leather upholstered seats, this is because despite being regularly driven, most trips are to drag strips, located all across America.  The hitch supports towing a fairly large trailer filled with tools and other stuff like drag slicks and lubricants.  Yeah I can hear you saying there's heaps of all steel, street legal tri-fives do that, but how many of those cars run consistent 6.3 second (yes you read that right 6.3 seconds) quarter miles on pump gas at over 220 mph?  The engine is a 600 cube big block with EFI and Nitrous injection, there are two huge 88mm percussion type (zero lag) turbochargers forcing air into the plenum atop the engine and helping it make well over 3,000 horsepower.  Torque is a secret but methinks it's prolly enough to move the Empire State Building.  The show book on this car has images of it carrying the front wheels about a foot off the surface well beyond the 300 foot mark and it's latest claim to fame is being unbeaten over a full week of non stop drag racing after driving to a different track each day, sometimes hundreds of miles apart and hauling that trailer filled with supplies.  Many of you may choose to disagree, but I think it's well qualified to be called a hot rod.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BLV1685_zpsqrwab9ll

Let's take  a closer look at the quickest and fastest street legal steel bodied tri-five Chubby on planet earth.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ADC782_zpslurctgfv

Yup, this is seriously a big-gun.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BLX1687_zps57bmbgyn

And this is one serious fuel delivery system.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVU2620_zpsl95riemw

Look closely and you'll just make out the trailer hitch.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVN2613_zpspetekr5z

The office, kinda gives the game away, but Barry assures me it's more comfortable than your average race car.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVS2618_zpsk1taayjg

A couple of magazines have covered the cars cross country journeys.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVW2622_zpsp2gkxymr

Micah Hope's Studebaker pick up is another of those vehicles that pulls together all the right elementts in a simple package that screams cool!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AW48_zpskrjf1j4g

It looks great from any angle.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BTI1880_zpsn7houjpg

Even inside.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CWI2634_zpsrx78y9qh

Roy Brizio builds Street Rods, in his words if it can't be driven cross country then it's not worth wasting time or money on.  This Willys is another case of sublime perfection in a car that is streetable enough to function as a daily driver.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BHH1567_zpsdwkxto6g

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. IS252_zpsttfimcus

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BGD1537_zpsn6pwjgwv

And last but definitely not least is Onorato Agostino's '59 Chev Impala.  Sure there were more elaborate paint jobs among the low riders on show.  There was more engraveing and chrome plus wilder upholstery.  But this is my favourite because among all the colours and other lowrider standards it just jumped out and smacked my face with it's subtlety and tasteful modifications.  The detail and workmanship is impeccable.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CLP2355_zpscfszlpdv

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CLM2352_zpsbxkxrujc

Next up I guess we should set the scene by reviwing the job of getting there and the outdoors part of the show which is no less awesom than viewing the show cars indoors.

Last edited by Carps on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:01 pm

Good choices. Amazing individuality. That's what is so good about hot rodding and customs.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm

January 2017 was the wettest and coldest on record in Southern California. For the first two days after I arrived it rained all day and night at a rate of around one inch per hour. I've never seen so much rain, not even during a tropical cyclone in far north Queensland or Western Australia. Homes were sliding off hillsides, the normally dry river beds and drainage systems were flooding and cars were being washed off the freeways, which looked more like rivers. And on top of all that it snowed, which made the early morning air colder than ice.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. A00_zpsdry3gxkr

So what did we do? Jumped in a topless roadster and cruised about forty miles across snow covered mountains in order to get one of the primo parking spaces!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CFO2198_zpsawfmbacs

The goal was to be at the front of the line when the gates opened at 07:00 That meant being awake and ready to go long before the sun came up, whilst the freezing winds were blowing off the snow covered ranges. We were usually on the road by 05:30 and at that time of morning it was bloody cold, like around minus three or four degrees.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CFG2190_zpscs7wjdch

Fortunately the rain had stopped and the sun decided to play but in hindsight looking at this picture I still ask myself why didn't I travel with Ron in his coupe?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CGC2212_zps9r5ghpl5

But hey, I'm no chicken, stoopid maybe, but not chicken!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CFZ2209_zpsijwuhmwy

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BAX1401_zps0acwsqvm

At least we weren't alone.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BCB1431_zpsdsyntmkw

Once arrived at Pomona Fairplex, the cars are lined up in the drag strip staging area, ready to roll in as soon as the gates are opened.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ADJ789_zps0ac2valv

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AJT955_zpsj1jzaqca

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AHK894_zps60vj4jzz

The air we wait in is blown directly across the Fairplex from these snow capped mountains and yes despite the clear skys and sunshine, it's still seriously friggin' cold!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. B01_zpsscjnvkw7

At least walking around gets the blood circulating, even if it didn't help my frozen ears and nose.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIU930_zpsazgyf7wr

Just as well there's always plenty of interesting machinery to look at, new people to meet, old friendships and acquaintances to refresh.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AHJ893_zps42rrlhbt

But but we're here for the cars so I'll try not to bore you with that other stuff. Biggest challenge for the photographer is the lack of cloud and all the bright sunlight creating insanely long and harsh shadows. Not conducive to great photography at all, but I gave it my best shot and here's a few images of the machines lined up each morning.

This one is a '36, stock as a rock but not for sale, of course I asked, it never hurts to enquire.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ADQ796_zpschwshkr0

This early fifties Effie could have held it's own on the show floor.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AEB807_zpsocpsmodp

Yup, it's had some serious surgery.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AEE810_zpsrgprpaby

Some guys even drive their 1/1 scale Mattel Hotwheels.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AFB833_zps8zlkjik9

Before a certain blue Willys Gasser, the S,W&C crew tore up the streets and drags strips of So Cal with a '38 Chevy that looked much like this one.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ADO794_zpsopovqu5k

Yes kids you cannot see any front brakes, they are the new invisible type, as too are the mudguards and rear tyre treads.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIL921_zps62bb1e27

A few cool cabovers turned out with other stuff loaded out back.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AHY908_zpsrlnqcyfu

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AGE862_zpsshw9akk3

This puppy sounds even better than it looks.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ADP795_zpsmn95o52n

Winner of biggest car on the planet.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AEF811_zpsw7hqqlqp

Cool pick ups are everywhere coz they make great daily drivers.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AER823_zpsvlcyhiwd

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AEP821_zpsmovpioor

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AJE940_zpsswpzkp2p

OK so these are not quite pick up trucks, but they can still carry lotsa stuff.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIO924_zpsxkrrl0dl

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AGM870_zpsfrofgtfl

Andt surely this also qualifies for picking stuff up?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIW932_zpsmqqqryvo

Four door cars seem to finally be making some headway in the US scene.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AEX829_zpsmx9hgmle

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AGS876_zpsy7dh8sbr

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIH917_zpsp2f9j0qa

But it's the variety that really makes it interesting.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIJ919_zpszq3kfd6b

There really is something for everybody.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AHS902_zpsobtd2ads

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AHR901_zpscqswruvy

No matter what brand or style you prefer.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIR927_zpskldvmzuy

Guess Milner musta lucked out again last night, he was up early with everybody else.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIM922_zpsjekfvbrc

Did I mention variety?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AIS928_zpshcvids9s

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AGN871_zps4fr9c7ce

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AFK842_zpsxlibscsf

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AEG812_zps7u6hjm05

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AGG864_zpseduycakb

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AET825_zpsuqynjacq

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AFU852_zpssq4beaqi

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AHA884_zpsx5g5fm87

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AGW880_zps1xjjph7e

Some are not quite cooked yet, but they come along anyhow.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AHQ900_zps9j1kmzqj

Then the gates finally open and off we go to find that ideal spot close to all amenities.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BCS1448_zpsoairb437

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BDC1458_zps9vhf99ea

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BCX1453_zps9pi9igbf

As the sun gets higher the shadows move away but it's still bloody cold!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AMT1033_zpsjsbeeu3p

Palm trees and snow is just all kinds of wrong.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sat 18 Mar 2017, 2:38 pm

The outdoor show is even bigger than the indoors part so, lets take a look around the fairgrounds before heading back into the show halls.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AMI1022_zps5pgpgsyf

Terry Hegman's remains the quintessential Merc Kustom to my mind, clean simple and flawlessly finished.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AMS1032_zpsujymcuwf

This could make a nice daily driver for an old retired bloke.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ALY1012_zpsndscrspd

Interesting comparison of two similar but different trucks.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AND1043_zpsffibmvbs

The original muscle car was a base model minus all the heavy stuff, fitted with the most powerful available OHV V8 power plant.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AKU982_zpsiutbgtpv

Of course some don't need muscles to look hot.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ALD991_zpsdddom19c

This one is up there, almost in the same league as Hegman's Merc.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AOT1085_zpszlz83amj

Don't see many of these, which is more the pity

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. APC1094_zpsiomewbyj

It's probably just as well we don't see more of these.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. APL1103_zpscirrjk0s

Some cars have all the elements but still beg the question, "What were they thinking?"

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. APM1104_zpsh09iscyh

Here's the truth in that old cliche about judging a book by it's cover, looks warm and inviting, reality is it was bloody freezing!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ANC1042_zpsegzacv3x

Something just was't quite right here, but I can't put my finger on nit.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AOY1090_zpsotgqnnlg

Don't see too many late models like this Poncho receiving the full Kustom treatment.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ANF1045_zpstnkf23mg

'33 Roadster is one mighty fine ride, would be easy to duplicate as it has glass body, repro steel fenders, hood etc. 'but why bother when the price of this one is so very reasonable too.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AQF1123_zpso9dfasvl

Nailed the early sixties to a period perfect T!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AQA1118_zpskxbcwrkq

Another pair of twin deuces, so much the same, so different the results.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. APQ1108_zpsbabjz2zk

I know what this is, one neat little hot rod coupe.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. APX1115_zps42gqsiof

And this is another neat hot rod coupe.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AQL1129_zps8unmqncf

Not so neat but highly desirable all the same.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AQX1141_zps1jmeia4s

A few more interesting machines, just ask if you want more info and I'l try to explain.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AQO1132_zps1g1mkzfx

Halfdone?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ARR1161_zpskcu2dbil

Neatly done.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ART1163_zpsvpqkk8qc

Wildly done.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ARF1149_zpso2qq34jz

Underdone?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ARC1146_zpso3pkgbmy

Overdone?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ATF1201_zpsfelndzu4

Umm, that's me done.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ALS1006_zps6wrhacf6

Injun Chief.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ASD1173_zpsssbvmu3x

The original Muscle Car!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ASP1185_zpsxy1bjh3a

Skoolbus or maybe RV?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ASL1181_zps4l2nnzkx

Other end of the '36 Tree we saw lined up at the gate.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ARX1167_zpsj9bvoiil

Check out the neatly integrated tail lamps.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ATJ1205_zps4tre0tii

Another comparison, same year one Ford and one Chevy.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ATC1198_zpsagzvzdrg

Hard to understand why we don't see many customised 1948 Plymouths.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ATT1215_zps5skee67f

A sweetheart car.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AUI1230_zpsv2700my5

This guy is a well known Paralympian and was cruising the grounds in his home built and super trick billet aluminium wheelchair.  We had a pretty long chat and his story is quite inspirational, most able bodied people could never achieve what he has.  One thing he does is build these custom chairs and gives them away to people who need them.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DW126_zpsf8mhhb6f

This one is complete with independent suspension and he challenged us to tip him out of it.  The thing is so stable that it allows him and the folks he gives them to, to do most things that we usually take for granted.  Amazing craftsmanship and design.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DX127_zpsuppdehzu

Some folks like to name their cars with something descriptive of what it is.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. D03_zpse5y6c2ir

Some just like to show off their undercarriage.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BSZ1871_zpsacigpxz6

Not a colour most would ever think to use on a Buick Riviera.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BHR1577_zps3jcmhqxi

Sweetly done and another one that nails the late fifties early sixties period perfectly.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BHQ1576_zpszweykp2o

Brightly done.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CPQ2460_zpsynqq4xtd

Last of the real wooden wagons.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BHK1570_zpsrcxglive

A pair of Presidents.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BDV1477_zpsowxdgtnn

When I grow up I want to be a Family Truckster.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AYZ1351_zpsbshc22tg

Maybe we do seem more of them deuce Tubs that we think we do.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AVJ1257_zps88zntud9

Deuce Coops are far more common.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXJ1309_zps770ee40p

This is not a deuce.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXK1310_zpsfkq2etux

Nicely painted truck.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AWF1279_zpsdeyivasv

Barnfind.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AUS1240_zps9gqmwdrb

Free parking.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AUX1245_zpslfnubq8a

Large car parking.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ATX1219_zps8rvcmxzi

DAMN!!!!!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AYS1344_zpsapxguzje

This one may look mild mannered but it kicks sand in the faces of muscle cars.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AYX1349_zpsdroolchm

Lights on time.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AZG1358_zpsgungidas

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AZL1363_zpsabn28lhd

Time to head home for the night.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AZC1354_zpsyc5xpel2
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sat 18 Mar 2017, 3:07 pm

A new day and time to look at a few of the show cars, starting here at the Suede Palace.  Seems kinda funny they still call it what they do because there's more shiny cars here than a new car dealership.  Seems like some of the traditionalists (scenesters) have realised that back in the day  hot rods really did have shiny paint.  And there's quite a few oldies being resurrected and put back to their original show condition by some of these folks, which is a very good thing in my book.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AAJ711_zpszf2pfnbm

Here's a few examples, starting with one that was recently unearthed and is slated for restoration.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ABA728_zpsscp1b0ru

A few that have been recently returned to their original guise.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AAO716_zpsexlr4atu

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AAW724_zpsmnjfe88o

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DJ113_zpsydtrldws

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BPU1788_zpsgl08lxcu

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ABL739_zpshs6d43r5

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BTX1895_zpsn2aymh1w

I'm quite partial to an early Model A, provided it's done right.  This one proves that even with a chopped top they can look badass.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AAL713_zpsfeaplosi

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AAN715_zpso4j6jjsa

There's also a few newly constructed or modified machines in here including with my favourite Studebaker truck.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ABU748_zps6s3cqwyh

These guys are known as The Showmen and despite looking like your grandfather they've been having fun entertaining people playing good old fashioned rock n roll music since the 1950s.  They were great and kept the house rockin' all day long.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CWC2628_zpsyanu4mhj

Some cars are understated and classy.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AAS720_zpszjvpsdh5

White '56 Fairlane Vicky was simply modified but neat all the same.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ABT747_zpsp98ytygh

Shoebox convert was a little more complex in terms of modifications.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BTU1892_zpsofcc8an5

T Tub was a modern take on an old tradition, looks like you could drive it every day.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BQI1802_zps1rc5zgr8

Among the '49/'51 Merc's in the palace, this was one of the less radical.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AP41_zpsxfjfoeb7

'35 coupe was neatly done and could have existed back in the day.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AA26_zps4ecnvbzb

Where should we look next?  

How about the cars from the sixty years of Tri-Five Chevrolet display hall?

This '55 was a cover car and has been around for a long time, still looks the goods.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BOE1746_zpsacetp408

And it's been copied by many in the years since.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BNO1730_zpsnpzbvikz

Roy Brizio's daily driver is the class act among '55s.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BOA1742_zpssqkrpfnc

How about a rare prototype '57 Fleetline?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BMK1700_zpsvnzaofol

It's not really and was made using the back half of an early fifties Fleetline Aero Sedan.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ACN767_zpsqfhcpvm4

The Tri-Five hall had so many cars jammed into it, there was no way to get a good clean shot of many of the cars there.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CEW2180_zpsprynug9z

There was also plenty of serious mumbo on display.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CEP2173_zpspurdbors

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CFC2186_zpscsq1krg8

Tri-fives have done it all from drag strip……

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ACY778_zpsx3rezq3k

….. to dry lakes…….

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BNA1716_zps4fktjegc

…. desert racing……..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BNC1718_zpsbk24ng0e

…..and NASCAR.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BNR1733_zpsgiqsnfjo

They've taken the family on vacation…….

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BNB1717_zpsv8hkghzm

…..delivered the goods……..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BNU1736_zpsyganr3zv

……. and set a few trends.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BNP1731_zps3lkhwglp

They've been multi media stars…..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BPF1773_zpsufdvzbt5

……. Funny Cars…….

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BPB1769_zpsw5qj3msv

….. and cover cars.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BOK1752_zpsdtlodyu1

Love 'em or hate 'em these things are the great all rounders.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CEQ2174_zps1xgyl9xe

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BOS1760_zpsf5jduk3q

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CEM2170_zpsvbovqza6

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ACR771_zps2n58gttc

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ACQ770_zpsijiroozr
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sat 18 Mar 2017, 6:41 pm

WOW some very beaut ones there Big Thanks again for sharing them twothumbsup Thanks
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 19 Mar 2017, 12:10 am

We're not even halfway through the show halls yet, so let's keep moving along and check out some of the Kustoms, starting with John D'Agostino's Packard.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BJZ1637_zpshklg7jhj

Another Packard Kustom, same model but this one despite being well done was kinda overpowered by the D'Agostino car.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AAA702_zps2ag9q6ad

It has a bunch of work in it and is very well conceived and the purple one kinda stole it's limelight.
It's interesting to look at the details, note the similarities and how much remains actually unchanged from the original cars.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ZK686_zpscafbdky2

Some more of the '41 Chevy from my top ten list, it's simple but complex, it works.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. OO404_zpsnalr8y8o

No matter which way you look at it that's one serious top chop,

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. OR407_zpsz6x9iw6y

Sometimes just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  Believe it or not this is a '62 Thunderbird.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. OV411_zps22y1f1nf

I think this may be a '64 Thunderbird, has a few Mustang themes going on but the size and profile says T'Bird.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BKV1659_zpsucxxk1jy

Cadillac was an interesting mix of old and new styles.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. QJ451_zpsdimm3xwr

Reminds me a little of Kurt McKormic's Westagard built '41 Cad convert.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. UC548_zps6v6lv8m8

Check out the reflections again and tell me this isn't the straightest Cad Coupe DeVille on earth?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CBN2093_zpsk8p254ni

This….. has just gotta be better than Starbird's 'Superfleck Moonbird"!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQA2470_zpswtczwtk3

Here's a couple of shoebox Fords that were customised to the same theme back in the early fifties, one is freshly restored and the other still underway.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CRW2518_zpsr60guqbb

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CSA2522_zpsb1wxaaj0

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CRU2516_zpsm3ztxywf

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CSE2526_zpseymedndr

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LF317_zpsggqrlpds

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LE316_zpsgtg9aop6

This is a fresh build using only old parts and themes from the late forties.  It was built by the sone of legendary customiser the late Dick Dean using parts his dad collected or simply never discarded.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. PI424_zpsyrsldcud

I'm not usually a fan, but the big wheels don't look too bad on this '59 Impala.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. JP275_zpsgrdumd8u

Nice pair of contemporary Kustoms.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. QH449_zpswsk0i4he

The Boowick is one sweet thang!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. QA442_zps0rjrpepa

Early '50s Ford has been under the knife for some major surgery.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CAC2056_zpshj9eeavb

Oldsmobiles don't need a lot ofmodification to make them super cool mild customs.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. QN455_zps0f4y7vuy

Just a haircut and lick of paint will do the job.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. EE134_zpsu59ppgbe

Early sixties MOPAR isn't one of the usual suspects, but is way cool all the same.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DZ129_zps8xkkq45w

Big Daddy Roth's shop truck was recently discovered in a barn and restored for the Galpin Ford folks.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQS2488_zps2mdysvak

It's as close to original as can be with the dash painted by none other than Robert Williams who worked closely with Roth airbrushing monster T shirts back in the day.  He was also responsible for some of the artwork in the trucks previous life.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQO2484_zps6ih2yjna

The tonnau cover art was reproduced by another well known artist.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CUL2585_zpseyit1bqu

I forget who did the new striping, but it mimics the original perfectly.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQM2482_zpso5h15o2b

However I think there's been a price increase or two since the tailgate was done.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BGP1549_zps9ixvliax

Here's yet another tasty 'mid sixties Riviera by Buick.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ANT1059_zpsbyn2hyn9

El Camino has a mountain of detail work in it.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. COY2442_zpsw54dkqbb

But the builder forgot to re-fit the tail lamps.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CPA2444_zpsxtsma9qd

Or did they?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BKZ1663_zpsmaftsz1h

Nope, I guess they didn't, they are just invisible to the naked eye and the owner would not share the trick with me.  Try as I might it's impossible to see and there is absolutely no tell tale line or mark to give away where the lamp is located.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BLE1668_zpsthgeebbe

Early Corvette with the contemporary mild custom treatment.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. IQ250_zpsfqxe3qhf

Im quite partial to the 'Bombs' and 'Lowriders', especially when they are painted and detailed to the max like these.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CHE2240_zpsdeevzymq

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CNM2404_zpspv3qigk3

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CJF2293_zpsxikc1ltb

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CMF2371_zpsdwkhfar4

Some of these cars are now being built with more alignment to traditional style customs like this Merc.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. RP483_zpsrobog9or

It still has enough of the right vibe and hispanic detail to fit across both genres.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. RR485_zpsrqxrdrgg

And it is all done with good taste and restraint.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. RN481_zpsgti3idsa

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CN91_zpsntnfmrin

The '58 Chevrolet Impala is a factory custom that needs little more than paint.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CNE2396_zpsc0f0w4ni

This '36 Ford Roadster is yet another example of good taste and restraint.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. TC522_zpsflrdlmlp

It's a class act.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. TE524_zpsjkodxdl4

As is this '57 Chevy Nomad.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. VO586_zpsk4sb8l9a

And this '48 Chevy Fleetline bomb.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. SS512_zpsqcs91xxp

Whilst this suburban is kinda different.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. WL609_zpskyg3d4wu

We're not done yet, I think there's more hot rods in the next hall.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 19 Mar 2017, 12:29 am

Now it's time for some Grand National Roadster Show hot rods.  And we'll start with an oldie that tells things like they really were back in the day.  because it's unchanged from when it appeared on the cover of rod and custom magazine way back in the late 1950s.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. NE368_zpsceelodgl

Yup, this is the style and finish that we all aspired too.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BXA1976_zpstgd8p2rr

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. NA364_zpsffyhysw5

This one is almost perfect just a year too new.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. UW568_zpsmqno12wk

My good friend Willy's banger powered A roadster.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. NZ389_zpslq2kcfst

And speaking of Willys, this is about as nice as a '41 could be.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BFX1531_zpsbdhp3rum

This was probably the second coolest Willys in the show.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. VU592_zpski2bk4lr

And this one more typical of the type on show.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CSQ2538_zpsygmq0j25

They all seem to have big engines and lotsa shiny bits.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ANQ1056_zpsntjmexjw

Speaking of big, this one has it well covered.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. VI580_zpspup3go3t

At the other extreme, this one is just low.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ZB677_zpslzqndmqh

'38 Chev Cabriolet is done in the bomb style but with normal sized wheels.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. TK530_zpsjkpayitb

Radical '37 Ford has very large wheels.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. VH579_zpsovzru55w

'40 coupe is very show worthy.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. TI528_zpshaiaspva

Ford vs Chevrolet, showdown!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. MT357_zpszbndzyry

Proof that a big car with lotsa doors can be cool.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. OH397_zps2ceaaavw

A good number of participants were not Fords.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. NG370_zpsylakq2ys

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. NV385_zpsbh5rm8lf

Some were restored old hot rods from way back in time.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. MD341_zps4g7jtuqn

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LX335_zpseajashaf

Others were perfect clones of long lost old hot rods.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LW334_zpsb4z5gb9b

Much as I hate to say it, the deuce still seems to be the most popular model year for Ford lovers.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. JR277_zpsxunxqlpw

They come in many body styles.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. COD2421_zps3uvp5hsj

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BFL1519_zpsdqcjh8hp

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CDW2154_zpsttzsl9wd

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CDX2155_zpsesn8liij

This one is brand spanking new from the Pacific people who do the awesome five window coupes.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BSV1867_zpsmh9lg68h

This was one of my favourites.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BFU1528_zps3abgyg3b

Need something to deliver the goodies?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CEI2166_zpsna5r6nnm

If that's too small, maybe you need something bigger.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CTV2569_zps5qvxss0r

There's always somebody has to do something seriously unique like this 1938 Alfa Romeo.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CNW2414_zpspsfdk3tv

It makes a pretty classy hot rod.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. COA2418_zpsvevd5xs7

But then so does this.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BRJ1829_zpsnucqz8fv

Here's a traditional interior in an old hot rod.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CMN2379_zpsyi39cmvw

Here's a new hot rod made to look like an old one.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BZR2045_zpsra7kq9ml

This pair are what I'd call contemporary hot rods.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BWX1973_zpszux2se9q

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CCY2130_zpskjicdw80

This one I consider Ed's least attractive or inspiring chariot but it has a great story and it drives.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BUJ1907_zpsqxe0drcb

This one has a few neddies on tap.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BQV1815_zpszezerhvx

Full fendered model A on deuce Chassis.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ID237_zpsdjmaeqpn

A somewhat unique muddersickle carrier.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LJ321_zpsufnjcg6v

A couple of big stars, both cover cars.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BGS1552_zpsfh96x7rq

This will never go out of style.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BGW1556_zps4n3dyynt

Ever!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQX2493_zpsibrhhckm

Steve's already does a convertible model 40, this is their new roadster body.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BGH1541_zpsdn82mlrg

This isn't one of them.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BFF1513_zpsqlsmpgaz

Everything old is new again.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ANX1063_zpshq2b2v29

And other things are just old.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BGJ1543_zpsncjlqybv

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BRF1825_zpsgvcot8er

Troy Trepanier has really outdone himself with this model A Tudor, the details are incredible.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVI2608_zpsmdlhg7fx

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXW1322_zpstbkfcnps

You really have to study the pics to figure out how it all works and what fits where.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVC2602_zpsquingosh

Look closely, then look again, you'll see even more.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVG2606_zpsvdfvpk3h

The torsion bar springs are concealed inside the frame rails, connected to the axle by the curved arms.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CUZ2599_zps6prdhxoj

Here's the other side of the wishbone showing how the shackle mounting is attached and reinforced.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVB2601_zpsrkoxhet4

Steering linkage is complex, it appears to have been set up for minimum wheel movement without being too heavy.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BHE1564_zpszj9imk3b

Steering arm at axle end.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CUW2596_zpsgasnj4e1

Engine mounting for the venerable Y block power plant.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CVB2601_zpsrkoxhet4

Yup, I said Y Block.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BHE1564_zpszj9imk3b

The real trick here is the flexible rear axles inside a curved housing.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BHD1563_zps4q2jo6ck

Actually it's an optical illusion because the mirror placed under the car to show things off is not flat.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CUR2591_zpsxuapbvcj

There's a heap of complex work throughout the entire car and when it's done I figure it'll be either love it or hate it.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CUO2588_zpsicttswoz

Regardless, you've got to admire the talent and craftsmanship of the crew who created it.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CUS2592_zpsbdf9np11

Another car done to a similar theme/style is this shoebox Ford.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AYH1333_zps4h4ev2ji

Not my cup of tea, but a mountain of machine and detail work means you've got to stop and look closely to take it all in.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXY1324_zpshkrklzu3

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AXX1323_zpsbduajysr

It's also powered by a venerable Y block.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQK2480_zpsr3mzomij

There's never a shortage of coach built masterpieces, like this one from Marcell and Sons.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CRJ2505_zpsggdoqx7j

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CRL2507_zps2aqbbcyq

Or this one for Rick Dore by the same team.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BZE2032_zps0kz6sqe7

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BZG2034_zpsu9qvw1cq[
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 19 Mar 2017, 12:47 am

yes siree they sure do have some serious custom machinery in the running for America's Most Beautiful Muddersickle, so I guess we should check some of them out along with a few other odds and ends..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BSF1851_zpsqpbcpheo

The bikes tend to be quite radical for the most part but all have to be fully functional to be in the running for the big prize.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BRS1838_zpslygmu9pv

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BRT1839_zpsqc79ui8o

Some are not so wild.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BSE1850_zps2fx1v5et

Others a tad traditional.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LI320_zpsdptuy38f

And some just go totally over the top when it comes to detailing.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BRY1844_zpsc7lsewkd

There's even a contest for customised pushbikes.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LM324_zpsmbovsbej

Some of which are mostly scratch built and have three wheels.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. LL323_zpsvp3sla6s

Then there's the folks who figure they really need to win the America's Most Beautiful Motorcycle trophy so they can place it on the mantle beside their AMBR trophy.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BSN1859_zps5tuvqj0v

So they build a bike to match the AMBR winning car, which I managed to get up close and friendly with a fewdays after the show.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AVD1251_zpspxd977b4

I always thought it looked pretty good in photos, but a few details didn't seem to look right for such a car..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AVE1252_zpswddqzvel

Seeing it in the metal it's even more impressive, because the scale and proportion isn't so easy to comprehend in photos. It's clearly fastidiously maintained but the road rash underneath says it's more than just a pretty face.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AVC1250_zpscpnb7t8y

In addition to the two wheelers, there are also lots of kiddie cars on show, from vintage track racers……

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. WJ607_zpsonbiwrg7

…..to traditional drag strip animals……

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CHU2256_zpsixnlgm0s

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CNO2406_zps8bzvzk9t

….and old syle show rods.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BWR1967_zpsu2xj095w

There's also plenty of race cars, like this super cool Studebaker.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AOA1066_zpsf9miv8z8

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CII2270_zpspszkpe3m

And a genuine '65 427 AC Cobra just as it was when drag raced as a new car.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BKS1656_zpsauo0ndsk

Plus a plethora of Henry J's, of which I like this one bast because it doesn't have a 392 Hemi.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AZS1370_zpsvykzwhyz

There's also something for the late model fans by way of Camaro……..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. UU566_zpsdorf0gtq

…. and Mustang.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. WS616_zps1dytp4k2

However, Bobby Alloway's latest split window Vette, which is almost identical to a previous car he built, except that earlier version had red details not blue, is just one mean and nasty looking sporty car.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. KB287_zpsqmhcccjv[
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 19 Mar 2017, 12:57 am

Being in California, there's always plenty of wooden cars and as you'd expect from my name, I love wood.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. YT669_zpshmi1nnuq

Something for everybody from lovers of the Indian Chief…..

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CLA2340_zpsvlkxuawh

Buick fans……

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CLW2362_zps93swmzul

MOPAR nuts……

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CKK2324_zpsjjrryw5n

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CB79_zpskvvqtl1y

And lover's of Henry's Iron Mountain masterpieces.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CDQ2148_zpsod54rwvj

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CDN2145_zpsjjcjppzn

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CKU2334_zpscm9lggab

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CKP2329_zpsu6bms1tc

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CKZ2339_zpsdvqww05y

What's not to love about a timber roof lining?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CDT2151_zpsbnxvif6y

There's also plenty of Pick-Up trucks like this radically reshaped Chevy C10.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CMX2389_zps790twcpz

Did you notice it's been sectioned and the front fender tops curved downwards?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CMV2387_zpsghj1yrfk

The rear of the cabin is also curved to lean it forward and align the chopped top.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CMR2383_zps6alqjlph

It's no less impressive inside or underneath.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CMT2385_zpsgcnvijun

There's as many variants in this group as there are for pre war hot rods.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. KZ311_zpssnjmlwcl

And some interesting innovations like rotating floor slats to show off the underside details.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BYE2006_zpsipbpwret

The same 53 Chev also has an impressive interior.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BYG2008_zpsjzuu7fyb

As does this model A coupe.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CEG2164_zps4yjhvf9v

Yet more radically altered Chevy truck.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BYM2014_zpskslf1v4e

And anothers slightly less so.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BRK1830_zpsjvjdtrzk

How do you like your engines, without water?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CHZ2261_zpsa2lq22zv

or maybe somewhat exotic?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. FA156_zpsttz3lgso

How about seriously exotic?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BUZ1923_zpswezeawim

Highly detailed?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CCP2121_zpslupyrujv

Or maybe hidden?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. UM558_zpsaych3tma

Perhaps you'd like electronic fuel injection?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. KO300_zpspuq4x6bx

'54 Chevy looks good with a grille and headlamp rims stolen from cousin Olds.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CBC2082_zpsgqggac02

Timeless are flames on a blue fordy coupe.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. YV671_zpsliczhqge

There's colour everywhere you look.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. KV307_zpseb05iswn

Some of it a tad in yer face!

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BUF1903_zps2zgdennt

More than one or five chassis builders were plying their wares in the vendors lobby.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BUX1921_zpsi0rdnaio

Annyhow, I reckon that lot should just about cover the Roadster Show as well as it can be covered and give you a good cross section of what was there. But don't go away, if you wanna see what else I got up to, there's much more to come, but it aint all hot rods, there's a few classics and sporty cars involved, even some neat vintage bicycles if you wish..
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Sun 19 Mar 2017, 6:29 am

These are some great photos. I appreciate you sharing. Thanks.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by silverfox Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:57 am

Thanks heaps for taking the time to post these great pics , love looking at them .
silverfox
silverfox
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1181
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sun 19 Mar 2017, 2:33 pm

So here I was headed outta town and not being in a rush I decided to take a slight detour,,,,,,,

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DT123_zpsk3j2fock

in a seemingly fruitless search for warmth and some cool railway rolling stock

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DY128_zpstu5rb3xd

….being in unfamiliar territory my eagle eyes wandered from the interstate thru the trees….

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. ED133_zpsv2idkker

…. to reveal a wonderful scene.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BY76_zpsnma3qmom

Well of course I had to take the next exit, double back and find this property in order to check more closely the gold…

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AX49_zpsgtemqvm0

I learned quickly that this fine machine had been my new friend Frank's daily driver since he was in high school.  He assures me it was much shinier back then.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AZ51_zpsip6ic2fz

Frank's yard contained some nice crusty old cars and a bunch of ancient shipping containers.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BV73_zpsd2hw4re8

There was also the odd replacement part leaning against a wall here and there.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BA52_zpst4c3zbof

After introducing myself, I was welcomed and invited to take a look around.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BD55_zpsf6oysvup

The Lafayette is a '34 model and the Ford  a mildly customised '53 Vicky.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BH59_zpsmblyjijq

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BE56_zpsr0instqk

It was done some time in the early sixties and has been resting here for some years.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BF57_zpspmsodfk7

It was kinda strange to see little European cars here in Southern California.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BC54_zps6p8hrlpg

Early Simca was in pretty good shape.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BB53_zpsqnlr2iy7

As were the half dozen or So Nash Metropolitans scattered around the yard.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BV73_zpsd2hw4re8

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BS70_zpsgk2vy91v

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BW74_zpsjbkgxnhr

There was even a well used but solid F00 with running Y Block.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BP67_zpseufigdna

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BQ68_zps0eht7ugo

The late model Caddy is still in driving order despite being a tad weatherbeaten needing only air in the tyres to be drivable.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BK62_zpslz1efryq

And along the side fence there's a row of Studebakers all in great shape and desirable body styles, maybe, maybe not for sale.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BM64_zpspgz3styj

However, the real surprise was to come when Frank asked if I'd like to see what was in the containers.  How could I refuse?

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CD81_zpse5xxvuzy

This 1930 Caddy had been used until the mid sixties as a roadside service vehicle.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CG84_zpsphqqu57s

Has neat turn signals.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CW100_zps8qwq0tn6

And a chest on the back still filled with old tools.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CT97_zpsv8yjdyoa

"But wait!" he said, "there's more!"  I nearly fell over when the second box was opened.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. BZ77_zpsgetvy7sy

Yes the Model T sedan is every bit as perfect as it appears.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CB79_zpsxovvvmyx

So is the '42 Mercury in the next box.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DB105_zpssegpniw1

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CY102_zpsee8elfkg

It had actually been used a couple of weeks earlier for the town's  annual New Years Day parade.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. DD107_zpswzqev0iq

Then there is this. It has a slightly sad story, but it's basically brand spanking new and suffice to say, it's definitely not for sale.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CI86_zpsyflgbl9t

Check out the condition of the bed.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CL89_zpsivgjhaqe

And interior.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CK88_zpsqx0fcf5w

It starts first shot and runs like a swiss watch, the odometer has less than 4,000 miles on it.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CP93_zps3xfcdm64

The US mags and tyres were fitted by the selling dealer when it was new.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CQ94_zpsvkumeelf

And of course, just because everybody has to have a pick-up truck, there's a neatly modified '56 in yet another airtight box.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. CC80_zps2vzgzyzf

Having viewed a few more containerised jewels that I promised I wouldn't share images of, Frank asked If I'd like to check out his restored Nash Metropolitans.  Of course I would!  So off we headed up the street to a very neat but well aged garage/workshop/yard, where I was asked if I'd ever heard of the Crosley company.  Yup and I let frank know that before gettingg into the car business the company made radios.

Frank was both surprised and pleased that I knew so much, because he's a bit of a fan of this company but I never imagined what would greet us as he opened the large garage.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. M12_zpsqjtndkma

It's believed to be the most complete and perfect set of crossly radios in the entire US of A, if not the world.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. Q16_zpsl47qt04p

They are all in perfect working order and there's a warehouse filled with parts.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. O14_zpsyt5kyqmg

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. N13_zpsxvelzzd6

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. S18_zpsv73d1duw

This is a dealer display of the original Crosley 'Sheetmetal' engine.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. R17_zpszeansr7h

There's a couple of other sheds filled with Crosley artefacts and auto parts.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AW48_zpsf16qjqm3

This guy keeps guard over it all.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AV47_zpsk7nrpkju

The cars?  Like the radios, there's a full set, starting with the pick-up truck.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. Y24_zpsrbjqjlvy

And more than one wagon.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AA26_zpsnekjrae9

This one is almost a woody.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AL37_zpsxvquq35p

And a hot rod version.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. U20_zps8uxfmqs9

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. W22_zps5wvcxil1

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AO40_zpsynblgenw

Yup that's a model A Ford in the background.

Grand National Roadster Show, January 2017. AN39_zpsc5vjxwpz