AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP - Removing glue from windows

5 posters

Go down

HELP - Removing glue from windows Empty HELP - Removing glue from windows

Post by hot351 Wed 16 Jul 2008, 8:03 am

Hi All,

Just goes to show you that you NEVER let anyone touch your models!! I was showing my flatmate my Morris Minor....you know, the blown Pro Streeted Big Block.

Well he decides to pick it up and breaks the rear quarter windows off its mount! The best way to fix this is to pull the model apart. Not wanting to do this, I managed to unglue one of the doors. In the process I have broken the seat, sterring column and gearshift!!

Anyway, I have managed to get the rear window in and glued it back in but despite being very careful about glue on the fingers, I managed to get a glue smudge right in the middle of the window.....damn.

So.....how do i remove glue from the plastic window? I know guys have got it off before, but I need some help.

Thanks

Howie
hot351
hot351
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

HELP - Removing glue from windows Empty Re: HELP - Removing glue from windows

Post by tezza43 Wed 16 Jul 2008, 10:36 am

You don't mention exactly what type of glue it is. If it's plastic solvent glue you're probably going to have to find another window or live with it. I know aircraft modellers have had some success removing paint and glue by using car polish on clear canopies. If it's white glue maybe a sharp razor will cut off the excess and then use polish to bring back the gloss. I wish you luck! Laughing
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce Wed 16 Jul 2008, 10:57 am

hot351 wrote: In the process I have broken the seat, sterring column and gearshift!!

I feel your pain Howie - nothing worse than trying to fix something on a model and actually inflicting more damage - a very bad feeling indeed... Sad

I have removed scratches from plastic using cream polish before, but can't say I have ever tried to take glue off. As Terry says, if it's a solvent glue I think you're stuffed. Might be better to make a new one from clear acetate.
Bryce
Bryce

Male Number of posts : 3329
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by TuffXR Wed 16 Jul 2008, 4:08 pm

If it is white glue just use some warm water and it will come right of. As for the other no hope for it i am afraid mate.
TuffXR
TuffXR
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by cdansie Wed 16 Jul 2008, 9:02 pm

If it is solvet glue and you can take the window out, then it can be saved.
I restore old windscreens using fine sandpaper and Novus polish.
Start with say, 600 wet & dry to get the glue mark off. The glass will look pretty bad at this point.
Then use 800 and then 1200 wet & dry in detergent water and anything else finer that you have. From there you should be able to use Novus No 3 (Heavy scratch remover) followed by Novus No 2 (fine scratch remover) to polish out the sanding marks.

Note I also use Novus to polish out enamel paints - it is great!

I also have a polishing kit that goes down to 12000 or finer (can't remember) and after I get down to those I usually don't need the Novus but I don't use that kit much as I find the 1200 & Novus is enough

Hope this helps

Chris
cdansie
cdansie

Male Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by hot351 Tue 25 Nov 2008, 10:29 pm

Well guys,

Worth mentioning but I finally resolved the issue of the glue on the windows of the Morris Minor and it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!

I started off with 2000 grit sandpaper and sanded the glue marks. This totally "ruined" the window and made it opaque. I then got out Meguirs Plastic X and rubbed it on. Within 20 secs I rubbed it off and the plastic is like brand new.

I was amazed how good it came up. So there is hope for getting glue off plastic!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Howie
hot351
hot351
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content