AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edsel

2 posters

Go down

Edsel Empty Edsel

Post by Gonzo Mon 28 Jul 2008, 10:32 pm

Edsel Edsel
Saw a post of an Edsel model so I thought I would share this. This is ex AMCC member Chris (uncy fester)Shiel's ride. We spent Sunday doing Col's Coastal Cruise in the Edsel and it's a pretty sweet ride. The highlights are the push button gear selector in the centre of the steering wheel, the weird UFO type spinning speedo and the way goofy styling. It has some really neat design elements but they just don't seem to gell. It's like it was designed by 20 different guys in 20 different rooms that never talked to each other.

It was cool watching all the people go "Oooooh" as the rods went by then "What the Hell" when they spotted the Edsel.

Don't see many of them around do you?

Wink

Cheers,

Gonzo

Gonzo
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Edsel Empty Re: Edsel

Post by tezza43 Tue 29 Jul 2008, 1:02 pm

You lucky devil Craig - what a day that must have been. The push-button gear selector was a fad that ended with the Chrysler Valiant series. It was a gimmick at best and frequently "went haywire".

You are quite right about the messed-up styling, but the stylists gave the dealers everything they asked for. Something that would be noticed and different from other cars. That vertical grille did the trick, but it had a vague similarity to a biological area of the female body and hence became the butt of cruel jokes. So who wanted to buy and be seen in a "joke".

That said I'd still love a ride in one, in an age where almost anything is accepted as art or unique design. Thanks for sharing your experience.
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down