AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro

+8
blatdriver
DeeCee
Yahshu
zenrat
Jade043
dv8v8
allan
Bernard Kron
12 posters

Go down

'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro Empty '41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro

Post by Bernard Kron Fri 08 Nov 2013, 2:46 pm

'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2419-web
’41 Willys Retro-Mod Street Rod
(more pictures below)

This project was inspired by many different fat-fendered coupes done in a variety of styles. In particular I would point out a metallic blue street rod from issue no. 4 of The Rodder’s Journal, a typical late billet era street Willys with a blown big-block Chevy and a nose-down rake, and a few years later, also in TRJ, a battleship gray ’40 Ford coupe, also big block powered (‘though not supercharged) and severely raked. This second car was featured at a time when TRJ had finally found its style and, although very modern underneath, was almost totally stock on the outside with steelies adapted to the big-power rubber it required. And then, about 4 years ago my friend Raul Perez did a hemi powered Revell ’40 Ford coupe with a Revell Willys street rod chassis underneath and a wicked lowered stance as well as some sweet and subtle chopping and sectioning on the bodywork.

All of these cars were swimming in my head last month when a whole group of superb Willys coupes started popping up on the ‘net, including a pair of shiny black modern street rods which really got me motivated to start a Willys of my own. A .couple of years back I had purchased a Willys kit from a modeling buddy that included an aftermarket resin chassis that dramatically lowered the Revell street rod. As many of you probably know, the stance on the Revell kit is undistinguished at best, being rather lamely nose-high with a pan flat stance. Unfortunately the resin caster that makes this chassis has developed a poor reputation for service and I felt that if I ever used the chassis the chances were slim to none I could ever replace it. So instead I decided to use it as a model for how to lower the Revell chassis myself.

So when I started this project I knew I would lower the car, but with a couple of super-fine modern street rods just completed I felt obliged to do something different. I decided to combine the depression era color of the TRJ ’40 Ford with the stance and powerful look of the late-billet Willys from issue no. 4. Raul’s ’40 Ford would help remind me of what a fine street machine should look like. The result is what follows, a Revell Street Rod kit with the front end lowered some 3+ scale inches for a pretty severe street rod rake, a Hilborn injected Chrysler Firepower 392 hemi adapted from the kit mill for some serious retro action under the hood, and a diamond tuft upholstered interior to extend the backdating to the driver’s compartment. The only bodywork was adding a hood scoop from an AMT ’49 Ford coupe kit. The color I chose is Tamiya TS-19 U.S. Navy Intermediate Blue. With a minimum of trim and the Depression era color I thought the car might straddle the line between Retro and Billet. I chose to use steelies finished in body color to emphasize the slick single color theme, but without any of the machined aluminum bling. I used AMT ’40 Ford fronts. The rears are AMT deep-dish reversed rims from a ’29 Ford Roadster kit, stripped of its chrome and with the centers drilled out to take baby Moon caps from an AMT ’40 Ford sedan delivery kit, which are also used on the fronts. Tires are from the kit.

Other than the radical drop on the chassis, accomplished by raising the entire front suspension assembly, most of the car is straight out of the Revell kit. The other major change, eliminating the billet style interior, was accomplished by using an aftermarket floor panel from Altered States Models which combines the tubbed rear from the Street Rod kit with the interior bits from the Revell Stone, Woods & Cook Willys gasser. I cut the centers out of the kit door panels and added diamond tuft inserts along with a rear panel of the same sort. Add in a pair of diamond tufted buckets from the recent Stacey David Rat Roaster kit and … Instant Retro! The Firepower valve covers and Hilborn injectors were left over from a Ross Gibson injected 392 I used a few months ago, and the really nice 7” injector stacks are from Speed City Resin. The Hilborn injector pump is from Altered States.

That’s it for modifications. What I tried to achieve was a blend of classic hot rod styling with the smooth monochromatic look of the Billet period which I have always felt was well suited to the Willys coupe. A modern chassis with lots of Old Skool vibes in the details.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2449-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2434-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2462-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2428-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2453-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2452-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2418-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro DSCF2412-web
'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro Interior-web

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro Empty Re: '41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro

Post by allan Fri 08 Nov 2013, 3:07 pm

badtotheboneA+ greatjob
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

'41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro Empty Re: '41 Willys Retro-Mod - emphasising Retro

Post by dv8v8 Fri 08 Nov 2013, 5:24 pm

bigthumbsup
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5646
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade043 Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:36 pm

Great build I've always thought that a Willy's looked good with that modern touch but you pulled it off really well with the use of those wheels and the stance top job great finish on the paint to.
Jade043
Jade043
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Fri 08 Nov 2013, 8:07 pm

Nice one B.
Love the colour.  Grey would also have worked well.
I'm not convinced about the scoop (it seems too modern and tips the wink about what lurks beneath) but I can't think of anything that would have worked better.  And anyway i'm probably the last person to ask about aesthetics...
bigthumbsup

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Yahshu Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:01 pm

wowwee bigthumbsup 
Yahshu
Yahshu
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2011-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:18 pm

Turned out a treat Bernard, love it mate.bigthumbsup
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:55 am

Thanx everyone. Without Dale's black beauty and all the other great Willys builds that everyone showed off I wouldn't have done this one. Despite the usual setbacks along the way (lost parts, repaints, etc.) this one seemed to be somewhat on autopilot. I think it was because of the challenge to accept the modern chassis, big meats, and general specs of the kit and still come up with something different. It helped focus my instincts. It turns out to have been one of those models that I would actually want in my stable of personal 1:1 street machines!

zenrat wrote:...I'm not convinced about the scoop (it seems too modern and tips the wink about what lurks beneath) ...
Actually it was a combination of neccessity (fill the hole) and aesthetics (tip the wink, which was what I wanted). I didn't want a big scoop, just something that indicated all was not normal underneath... I definitely was not going for a stock look, not with that rake and those rear tires. I'm trying to develop a "post modern" traditional style, kind of "life after TRJ". While there's much I despise about the billet period, there's much I also admire. It was a genuine, and sometimes successful, attempt at a truly contemporary and yet traditional style. I'd like to find a way to borrow from that era and still bring myself into the second decade of the 21st century. This is an early experiment. Much as it often it might seem with me, it isn't all about whitewalls and beam axles...

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by blatdriver Mon 11 Nov 2013, 10:03 am

wowwee  Great job
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Mon 11 Nov 2013, 5:20 pm

Dam cool!!
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray64 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 4:23 pm

bigthumbsup 
Ray64
Ray64
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Wed 13 Nov 2013, 1:13 am

Thanx again, guys! Thanks
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by chromecop Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:22 am

Awesome build!Well done!
chromecop
chromecop
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dpride Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:16 am

The coupe has got the right look. The blue is close to the color I used to paint all my cars.

dpride
dpride
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2012-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:13 am

Thanx again! I really like what I think of as "Depression Era" colors: subdued, almost muddy, grays, blues, greens and tans. I hope to do more cars using that pallet.
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down