AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to make Sand or salt flat tyres

3 posters

Go down

How to make Sand or salt flat tyres Empty How to make Sand or salt flat tyres

Post by Morrie Wed 03 Sep 2014, 1:19 am

I was checking out my Myers Manx kit and found the big rear tyres are plastic and not very cool also I am building another beach buggy type project and needed some smoothie tyres.

I use this technique to make tyres look worn and drag slicks look more authentic, but just holding the tyre flat. but then light bulb in my head when on and hay presto, a super easy way I can do new tyres for sand and salt flat racers with just a slightly different technique.

I used the drag slicks you get with Amt kits as an option, but any solid rubber tyres will work, just depends on what size tyres you want to have on your build.
 photo IMG_0999_zps18f88269.gif

Next part just get an old hub thats wide and is tight in the tyres and also takes a steel axle, I had to make the centre hole a little bigger for this axle, i also use one that was knurled on the end so it was firm in the hub, wack the axle in, put it in a drill.
 photo IMG_0998_zpsbc6e0879.gif

Put a tyre on, no glue.
 photo IMG_1004_zpsbdb48f77.gif

Floor the drill and start sanding the tyre, I started with 80 git paper with it flat on the bench, i got rid of the corner of the tyre first, then you just work it so you get a nice round edge on your tyre.
 photo IMG_1002_zpsca01f9ac.gif

then I just finished off with 120git held in my hand so it get a smooth even shape. again still using the drill, and that's it.
 photo IMG_1003_zpsd5b98c23.gif

Also tried some skinny fronts, which would be awesome salt flat tyres, i just used the stock tyres pretty much every kit of older cars come with. these haven't been fully finished yet. You could used lighter grade sand paper like 320 then 400 etc etc to get them super smooth and also take off the detail on the side walls if you want them full smoothies.
 photo IMG_1007_zps3709bfcf.gif

Super easy to do these and they look sweet when there finished off. Very Happy
Morrie
Morrie
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Back to top Go down

How to make Sand or salt flat tyres Empty Re: How to make Sand or salt flat tyres

Post by blatdriver Wed 03 Sep 2014, 11:09 am

bigthumbsup
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

How to make Sand or salt flat tyres Empty Re: How to make Sand or salt flat tyres

Post by DeeCee Sat 06 Sep 2014, 9:19 pm

That is a great tip mate,   Thanks
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down