AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana.

+4
LordZycon
allan
Deadly
fractalign
8 posters

Go down

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. Empty Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana.

Post by fractalign Sat 20 Sep 2014, 5:31 pm

Hey Guys.

This is a build I have had underway since July on the US Forum, so its hardly new, but at the same time I know there are lots of guys on the Aussie Forum who may not check out the US forum, so I thought I would put the build up here. I have not posted any thing on the Aussie forum before, I had a special project in mind but that is on there back burner because this one is taking so long. Anyway I won't be able to post up all the photo's from the beginning because there are too many. But a quick rundown. Most of the model is being constructed from 2mm thick sheet styrene and so far I have completed the bonnet, boot and body sides. At them moment I am working on the roof and it will be from this stage that I will be uploading photos. All measurement are being taken from a 1:1 stock standard LJ that I own.

All comments and feedback welcome.

Last edited by fractalign on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. Empty Re: Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana.

Post by fractalign Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:42 pm

Hey Guys.

Here are some shots of the roof. The roof was made from the bases of a couple of old ice cream containers. I used two pieces stuck together to create a ply.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9200142_zps1911e5b2

Last edited by fractalign on Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. Empty Re: Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana.

Post by fractalign Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:47 pm

Test fitting the unit.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9200148_zps579d9cc6
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by fractalign Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:50 pm

After trimming this is how it looks. Next task will be to begin the fitting process.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9200149_zps8c64925b
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Sun 21 Sep 2014, 7:37 am

Have been following this build on the US forum....................... AWSOME stuff mate greatwork greatwork
Deadly
Deadly
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sun 21 Sep 2014, 8:16 am

WOW that's very cool greatwork popcorn
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LordZycon Sun 21 Sep 2014, 6:26 pm

Caught this on the US forum as well. Truly amazing work. Smile
Can't wait to see more.

LordZycon
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by scummy Sun 21 Sep 2014, 9:06 pm

As an owner of an xu1 this is looking very good .
scummy
scummy
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://markharmer@bigpond.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fractalign Mon 22 Sep 2014, 8:40 pm

Thank for the positive feedback guys ! I will get some more photos up in the next couple of days.

Cheers.
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by fractalign Wed 24 Sep 2014, 10:08 pm

Hey Guys.

Here are some images of the roof, I have been adding detail to the underside. The sand paper is supposed to simulate the spray on body deadener.Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9240234_zpse0602b01

The mirror mount is nearly done.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9240237_zps0610c27a

Photo bucket is being very stubborn at the moment with uploads so I will send some more images through tomorrow.

fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Thu 25 Sep 2014, 7:06 am

bigthumbsup
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by ozmodeler Fri 26 Sep 2014, 8:20 pm

What a great job you've done so far. Looking forward to seeing more. Which U.S. forum have you posted this on ?
ozmodeler
ozmodeler

Male Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2012-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fractalign Sat 27 Sep 2014, 7:08 am

Hey Guys. Its up on the Model Cars Forum. Sorry for not getting up to speed with progress shots but here they are.

I finished of the rear cross beam. This one is what the rear window sit in. In case I did mention before the glass for this one will attach from the outside just like a real !:!. Here are the bits that made up the cross beam.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9250249_zpsdfcf974a

The finished unit.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9250251_zps2251de4a

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9250250_zps95cd46af

At the moment I am working on making up templates for the inside of the C pillars, I will be using the cardboard from an inverted cereal box for this job, so hopefully tonight I will have some more shots to put up.
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by fractalign Tue 30 Sep 2014, 6:55 am

Hey Guys.
After making up the cardboard template, I went to work constructing a press.Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9270066_zpsc051c48c

In took a photo of the template first and i sure the image in the viewfinder was 1:25 scale. I then took some Fimo which is a synthetic baking clay and shaped the shafts the same size as the holes in the image.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9290063_zps25df033c

After doing that i got some clear plastic from a cd cover, stuck that over the image in the view finder and began sticking the shaft to it. Once this side was done I turned it over and repeated the process.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9290064_zps2a1b6659

I then got some more Fimo and pushed it into the press to get a perfect imprint. Here are the pieces before going into the oven.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9290065_zpsa3a5afc7

After baking, the one on the right is ready to try out in the pillar.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9290066_zpsd9c09a5c

Here is how it looks after some more trimming.

Scratch building classic GTR UX1 Torana. P9290067_zpsf515b567
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Tue 30 Sep 2014, 8:28 am

popcorn
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by silverfox Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:37 am

I have a resin ? xu1 body that Allan gave me some time back . It is pretty rough and appears to be 1/25 or 1/24 .
silverfox
silverfox
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1181
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 3:32 pm

Worth watching.  Some creative thinking here.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fractalign Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm

Hey Guys.

I have been slow to put anything up over the last 5 weeks after I broke my wrist in a car accident and ended up with my arm in cast. Needless to say I have slowly been getting back into the build over the last week or so. At them moment I have shitted my focus strictly back to the body namely the rear of the body. I won't be doing an more work on the floor pan or chassis until the body is completely finished. One of the first things I did was make up a contour gauge that surrounded the entire body so that i could get the left side looking exact the same as the right side. I added stub axles for the wheel base the wheel slide on and off when ever i need to them to. The stub axle goes through to the other side so that the other body half can be cheated as well. With both body halves looking more or less the same I moved onto the tail light and bumper area. I used a pace of A4 copy paper to trace a basic template around the 1:1 and i then turned that into a diagram. i with the measurement recorded I cut out the tail light housing and bumper recesses on the first body half. i then put hat body half back to back with eh other half and repeated the process.

The photos have been taking a long-time to load so i will try and resend them tomorrow night.
fractalign
fractalign
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down