AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy

+9
Jade043
zenrat
DeeCee
dv8v8
mgy125
allan
blatdriver
silverfox
Bernard Kron
13 posters

Go down

"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy Empty "Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy

Post by Bernard Kron Wed 21 Aug 2013, 1:23 am

As I settle in to being a member here I thought I'd share some significant builds in my modeling life that serve as a way of introducing myself. Hopefully some of you haven't seen this one already. It's from a couple of years back, when the movie Deuce of Spades was just being released. Despite some flaws, I think it's as good a model as I've ever built so far, and it's virtually the only attempt at a replica I've ever done. Because the owner of the 1:1, Jerry Mull, was "looking over my shoulder" at the time it pushed the limit of what I was capable of. It's still probably my favorite model, but sadly the resin front axle has sagged and needs to be replaced with one of TPB's new reinforced ones. In any case here's the write up I did of it.

"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DOS-Header
The Challenger ’29 Ford A-V8 Highboy from the movie “Deuce of Spades”
(More photos below)
While watching the hot rod movie Deuce of Spades my eye was drawn to the car driven by the antagonist in the film, "Fresno", a striking bright red ’29 Ford highboy on ’32 Ford rails with a bare aluminum bonnet. Once I saw it, I knew I had to build it. But I also realized this build would be no walk in the park since no kit exists that comes close. I would have to reach deep in my stash to get this one done. And as luck would have it the current owner of the car, Jerry Mull, got wind of my project (there are no secrets on the Internet) and provided me with extensive detail photos, the back story the filmmaker imagined for the car (Jerry worked on the picture) and constant encouragement. Thanks Jerry!
So here are the details and lots of pictures.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Body:
AMT ’29 Ford Roadster with Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland resin hood and Revell ’32 Ford grill shell. Louvers are Archer Fine Transfers resin 3D Surface Details AR88037 “O” scale 6 inch louvers. They are resin decals. Photo-etch grill from Model Car Garage.
Interior:
Scratch built tuck ‘n’ roll based on AMT ’29 Ford Roadster bucket. AMT ’29 Ford Roadster dashboard, steering wheel and brake lever. Scratch built 8-ball shifter and accessory gauge panel.
Chassis:
Revell ’32 Ford rails, front crossmember and floor pan, Early Years Resin rear crossmember, scratch built k-member and details. Scratch built driveshaft with Revell ’32 Ford u-joints.
Front suspension:
ThePartsBox.com front axle, spring and front brakes. Scratch built steering system. Radius rods cut from AMT Ala-Kart front radius rods.
Rear suspension:
Halibrand quick change rear axle from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland. Rear spring from Revell ’30 Ford Sedan. Rear brakes from ThePartsBox.com. Radius rods cut from AMT Ala-Kart front radius rods.
Wheels & Tires:
Front wheels are AMT ‘40 Ford Sedan with baby moons from the same kit and Modelhaus 120C tires. Rear wheels are from ThePartsBox.com with AMT ‘40 Ford Sedan baby moons and tires from a Revell ’58 Corvette kit.
Motor & Transmission:
Ford flathead V8 and transmission from a Revell ’40 Ford standard kit. Evans heads from Model Car Garage. 3-pot manifold by Early Years Resin. Mallory “crab style” magneto, Stromberg carbs and air cleaners from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland.

"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3524-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3520-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3511-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3522-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3499-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3531-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3439-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3446-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3516-web
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSCF3532-web
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy Empty Re: "Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy

Post by silverfox Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:02 am

Great build , looks so right , a lot of nice work in this.
silverfox
silverfox
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1181
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy Empty Re: "Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy

Post by blatdriver Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:47 am

twothumbsup I like it, nice work
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:49 am

Very cool roadster  A+ badtothebone
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10404
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:14 am

Very sweet build.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:28 pm

bigthumbsup
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5683
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Wed 21 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

That is way cool, love the metal finish hood too, nice work mate.winner
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:13 pm

Sagging axles are a pain aren't they?
If you put a prop under the middle of the axle lifting the wheels off the deck the axle will un-sag over time.
However, if you use a narrow prop (I glued 2 pieces of scrap styrene into an inverted T) you will at the same time push the middle of the axle upwards.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade043 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 11:30 am

Nice I like it great detail on the engine
Jade043
Jade043
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray64 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm

Love this Bern Cool !
Ray64
Ray64
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Monaro Sat 31 Aug 2013, 9:26 pm

A great build from a great movie and to have the owner on hand what a bonus.
Monaro
Monaro

Number of posts : 495

Back to top Go down

Post by warra48 Sun 01 Sep 2013, 6:40 am

Quality build, well done !
warra48
warra48

Male Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Sun 01 Sep 2013, 6:45 am

Thanx everyone. I'm pleased you all like it. This one still gives me pleasure when I see it on my shelf. It's definitely scheduled for a refresh this winter summer! Time to get an order together with TBP!

Jerry Mull is an incredibly nice guy, too. He provided me with tons of pictures so I could get it right, and he was full of fantastic stories about how it was made. For those of you who have seen it, the CGI for the crash scene involving this car was donated by a German company (worth probably about 500,000USD all by itself - the entire movie was made by volunteers and no one except the lead actors got paid, and the leads just got paid scale...). All they wanted was that the car be lifted off the ground and a series of high resolution shots be taken starting with the underside and slowly roating 360 degeress all the way around. How to do it? It was Jerry's car so it was his call. What he landed up doing is strapping the car to a forklift... Here's a picture Jerry sent me of the underside. You can see the straps!
'
"Deuce of Spades" '29 Ford A-V8 Highboy DSC_0529-underside-sm

BTW, the real car has a small block Chevy with three deuces, but the back story is that Fresno's car actually had flathead power and that Johnny Callaway had gotten his hands on one of the first SBC's distributed out to select hot rodders by GM in early '54 (that actually happened, and there's a scene towards the beginning of the movie referencing the fact). It was considered Johnny's "unfair advantage" and he refused to allow people to look under the hood of The Deuce. So I installed a flatty in deference to the movie rather than the 1:1. Jerry thought that was cool, which is typical of him.

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sun 01 Sep 2013, 9:12 am

You don't see many photos like that, Very cool bigthumbsup
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10404

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjoh Sun 01 Sep 2013, 10:57 am

Those resin louvres look great, they really set the tone. I've heard about them but never seen them, everything about the car looks perfect.

I've got a DVD of the movie, also enjoyable

kevjoh

Male Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down