AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster

+3
Ray64
blatdriver
Bernard Kron
7 posters

Go down

Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster Empty Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster

Post by Bernard Kron Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:43 pm

Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3117-web
The Therapy Deuce - Revell ’32 Ford Highboy Roadster, because Basic Black is always in fashion…

After trashing an AMT ’51 Chevy fastback coupe following several weeks’ work in it, by melting it under my workbench lights (see: https://ozautobuilders.forumotion.com/t7816-51-chevy-fastback-coupe-mild-custom-disaster-has-struck ), I needed a quick pick-me-up to get the juices flowing again. Having built numerous Revell 1/25th scale Deuces of various flavors over the past few years I knew doing one largely out-of-the-box would go quickly, with a minimum of drama, and with a decent chance of a pleasing result – just what the doctor ordered. So, starting with an original series Revell Highboy Roadster kit, and modifying only those things which I consider absolutely the minimum to address the kit’s shortcoming, here’s the result. I even went so far as to do it in black primer to avoid any risks involved in color coats, clear and polish! It took me 5 days to complete and had the desired effect…, I’m ready for the next project.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

All parts from an original issue Revell 1/25th scale Highboy Roadster kit except as noted.
Chassis: Front suspension lowered by removing 2 spring leaves and notching front crossmember. Front bumper bracket notches filled.
Wheels and Tires: Front wheels are AMT ’51 Chevy steelies with skinny front tires courtesy of Speed City Resin. 10” reversed rear wheels by Plastic Performance from Early Years Resin.
Motor: Kit valve covers shaved and smoothed. Carter AFB carburetor from Early Years Resin. Distributor and coil from Morgan Automotive Detail.
Interior: Kit bench seat notched and repositioned to create raised bolster. ’40 Ford dashboard and steering wheel adapted from Revell ’32 Ford 5-window coupe kit. Worn ox blood leather surfaces made using Testors Acryl British Crimson paint and black wash. Dashboard finished in clear gloss.
Body and Paint: Kit windshield chopped 2.25 scale inches. Stock hood sides from Revell ’32 Ford 5-window coupe kit. Firewall filled and smoothed to convert from single “curtain rod” hood brace to proper twin braces made from .020” music wire. Firewall finished in clear gloss. Body and frame rails finished in Duplicolor Black Primer. Wheels finished in Duplicolor Flash Red gloss paint. Chassis and motor detailed in various shades of Testors Metalizer.

Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3142-web
Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3130-web
Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3124-web
Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3134-web
Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3120-web
Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3122-web
Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster DSCF3141-web
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster Empty Re: Basic Black Deuce Highboy Roadster

Post by blatdriver Mon 07 Jul 2014, 9:39 am

bigthumbsup nice work
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray64 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:34 pm

How I like em, nice work Bernard  bigthumbsup 
Ray64
Ray64
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:45 pm

bigthumbsup 
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10404
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 5:10 pm

bigthumbsup  i have a question about the aircleaner, i like this style and use them when i can but i usually paint the lower part in white or of white to simulate filterpaper, i notice that yours is chrome do they come like that ? have i been doing it wrong ?
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5683
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Mon 07 Jul 2014, 6:24 pm

It's a Dirty Deuce.  Nice one B.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade043 Wed 09 Jul 2014, 9:39 am

Nice work like the wash on the seat looks cool
Jade043
Jade043
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Sun 13 Jul 2014, 2:01 am

Thanx guys. bigthumbsup  For me it's always about capturing The Look. Which by no means is to ignore technique - a crummy paint job, visible seams, misaligned parts, inappropriate details, etc., will kill a build every time - but all the skill in the world won't save a goofy looking car. Ironically, knowing that to be the case allows me to focus on the skills side even more. Even after nearly 6 years back in to car modeling each project involves a lot of new or evolving skills. As simple as this build was, it was no exception. I'm just glad it came out looking like I had hoped it would...  One thing for sure, tackling a straightforward project like this to bounce back from the '51 Chevy Meltdown did the trick. This is the first primer rod I've done in several years. I like the effect so much I know it won't be the last!

dv8v8 wrote:bigthumbsup  i have a question about the aircleaner, i like this style and use them when i can but i usually paint the lower part in white or of white to simulate filterpaper, i notice that yours is chrome do they come like that ? have i been doing it wrong ?

You're right, the filter element should be detailed to look like paper. The mistake is mine, but I thought the chrome ribs seemed appropriate so I just detailed the air cleaner with some black wash.
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:54 am

thanks Bernard was just curious thought it may have been a type i havent seen before.
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5683
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down