AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster

+8
Jade043
zenrat
silverfox
DeeCee
dv8v8
blatdriver
allan
Bernard Kron
12 posters

Go down

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster Empty A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster

Post by Bernard Kron Fri 06 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2563-web
A Deuce Resurrected – ’32 Ford Roadster set aside 5 years ago, finished at last.
(More pictures below)

I started this car over 5 years ago, just a few months after returning to modeling, having been off the bench for decades. Because I’d been away from the hobby a long time the phenomenon of the aftermarket casters was a revelation to me. I’m afraid I went a little overboard in those first days and bought far more resin bits than I knew how to handle. Combined with some pretty rusty skills I was riding for a fall. Sure enough in starting this project I got in way over my head. I had ordered a whole lot of parts from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland with an eye towards building a car largely based on their offerings. This was to be it: a ’32 Ford HiBoy Roadster to be done in classic 50’s style using a buggy-spring chassis mastered by Rik Hoving for RepMin, combined with a Flathead built around RepMin parts such as heads, distributor drive, carbs, air cleaners, etc.

A stock style firewall from RepMin was installed and I included RepMin’s resin grill shell made for the Model Car Garage p/e Deuce grill. The interior was to be the Lyle Willits mastered tuck’n’ roll offering. The whitewalls and steelies were also courtesy of RepMin. My early mockups include baby Moons and chrome beauty rings from an AMT ’40 Ford Sedan Delivery kit, but these found their way on to another build. In the final version I have used “V8” hubcaps from a Revell ’40 Ford Standard, and decided against beauty rings because they removed too much color from the wheels. The Hoving traditional chassis used chassis parts from the Revell “rat rod” ‘29/’30 Ford RPU/Sedan kits and I also threw in a quick change rear end and finned Buick drum brakes, also from RepMin.

As it turned out the Hoving chassis was quite thin and fragile. Combined with the decidedly fiddly Revell posable front suspension and novice modeling skills when it came to handling resin parts, the project began to go south pretty quickly. First of all I painted and assembled as I went along, rarely test fitting and giving little thought to the sequence I should follow for clean work and structurally strong results. Soon I was breaking parts, smudging paint and generally messing up bad. The project went into a Revell ’32 Ford Roadster box marked “50’s HiBoy” and sat on a shelf until last month when I thought I would tackle it again.

Over the years I had forgotten how badly things had gone. The car had fallen on the floor at one point and the right front horn of the chassis rails had snapped off. I had fiddled with the front suspension so much I had worn off the kingpins on the left side of the front axle. And there were whole areas I had never settled on, like what front locating arms I would use (I have used chrome hairpins from a Revell Deuce 5-window kit – which didn’t exist back then…). I had even attempted to detail the finned heads by giving them a red wash which only succeeded in turning them a lurid chrome pink! Yikes!

Fortunately I’ve learned a few things since then. So I started by ditching the resin chassis, only saving the rear suspension and the rear crossmember. I fabricated a new chassis based on Revell Deuce rails. The stance on the original build was horrible, either pan flat or even slightly nose high in some mockups. This time around I did my usual thing of shaving some leaves off the front spring and hogging out the front crossmember in order to lower the front end. This routine is generally good for at least 3+ inches of additional drop and the new chassis has a conservative but handsome big ‘n’ little rake to it. I repaired the left front corner by drilling out the axle end and installing wire kingpins. With new heads, intake manifold and carbs (the originals had long ago been stolen for another build) from a Revell ’40 Ford Street Rod the motor got a thorough freshening up. And finally I was able to do something I had wanted to do originally but simply didn’t know how to do cleanly – chop the windshield, which has about 2 ½ scale inches taken out of it.

The body and chassis were painted Duplicolor Aquamarine Blue five years ago and somehow it has survived intact. To say it is well cured would be an understatement. It polished out nicely. The AMT ’49 Ford steering wheel also survived. The interior was finished in Testors Acryl Guards Red.

Today I doubt that I would rely quite so heavily on aftermarket parts. At the time I might have had a dozen kits in my stash and had very little knowledge about where to find the parts I needed for my builds.

Overall it looks very much like I wanted it to look back then, but with far fewer compromises than I had originally been willing to make.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2555-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2577-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2573-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2583-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2576-web

Here are some additional detail shots:
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2584-cutaway-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2557-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2554-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2560-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2587-web
A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster DSCF2489-web
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster Empty Re: A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster

Post by allan Fri 06 Dec 2013, 12:58 pm

That's one very cool roadster,  A+ great colour on it too badtothebone Ford
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10404
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster Empty Re: A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster

Post by blatdriver Fri 06 Dec 2013, 2:49 pm

Great job, the interior looks spot on bigthumbsup
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Fri 06 Dec 2013, 4:19 pm

bigthumbsup
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5682
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Fri 06 Dec 2013, 8:21 pm

Turned out an absolute treat Bernard, interior goes well with the exterior colour perfectly , great detail, love it mate!!  bigthumbsup
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by silverfox Sat 07 Dec 2013, 8:45 am

Real nice build , this looks great .
silverfox
silverfox
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1181
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Sat 07 Dec 2013, 9:16 am

bigthumbsup 

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade043 Sat 07 Dec 2013, 9:38 am

Very cool build. Choice of color really suits it. I really like the detail work on the engine.
Jade043
Jade043
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Carps Sat 07 Dec 2013, 11:07 am

Now that didn't take too long did it?

And it looks fantastic, love all the little details that make it just right. twothumbsup 
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3168
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:01 am

Thanks so much to you all for the exceedingly kind words! Much appreciated. I don't know how many times I rifled through that box of parts looking for something I needed and thinking ... someday, someday, ... Finally I encountered the photo below, probably 2-3 years ago, from a wonderful collection of 50's-60's kar kulture images in a little book called "Hot Rods and Custom Cars: Vintage Speed Graphics" by Coco Shinomiya. Not exactly what I had started but close enough that it continued to bug me until I realized I had the skills to undo the damage and create a respectable finished product. It still took a while for me to finally get to it but now it's done and it will look good on the shelf.

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster Blue-32-edit-web

A Deuce Resurrected - '32 Ford HiBoy Roadster $T2eC16N,!)EFIpm9E3biBSUorc(U5Q~~60_35
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray64 Sun 15 Dec 2013, 8:19 pm

Another quality build Bern', like your style mate  Cool bigthumbsup 
Ray64
Ray64
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigdaddy0 Sun 15 Dec 2013, 9:11 pm

You have got to love a 32 Ford. These are ageless and you have captured the pure essence of the classic 32. nice work.  Very Happy 
Bigdaddy0
Bigdaddy0
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:14 am

Thanx again, guys! niceone
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by warra48 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:24 am

Great post, and an excellent build.
 bigthumbsup 
warra48
warra48

Male Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down