AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The One That Got Away – Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update

2 posters

Go down

The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update Empty The One That Got Away – Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update

Post by Bernard Kron Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:33 am

I had hoped this would be completed in time for year’s end so I could include it my 2013 builds. But yesterday, January 30th, 2013, as I was foiling the windshield frame I peeled off the BMF and lifted some the color layer off of a corner of the roof. “No problem “sez I, “I’ve got a bit of paint left so I’ll tape off the roof, sand it primer it and repaint it. I’ve got a dehydrator, I should have it done tomorrow night!”. So I masked off the rest of the body, thinking perhaps I hadn’t cleaned the resin re-pop of the old AMT chopped top I had purchased on E-Bay quite well enough and that’s why the paint didn’t stick. After applying the primer I removed the masking and … horror of horrors more paint pealed! Obviously there is some sort of issue with the way this particular batch of Duplicolor Toreador Red adheres to this particular batch of Duplicolor Red Oxide Primer. Bummer! So toady I’m off to the auto parts stores trying to hunt down another can of Toreador Red and a fresh can of Red Oxide Primer, Time for a total reshoot…

I had high hopes for this one. It’s another exploration of my “Retro-Mod” concept, where traditional style and parts are combined with more modern elements. The AMT ’36 Ford Convertible kit forms the basis for the build. I set the chassis up with an AMT dropped ’40 Axle modified to take a pair of disc brakes purloined from a Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit with both front and rear axles located by the radius rods off of a Revell Deuce kit for a modern look. I shaved the front cross member and front spring for a nice low rake. The wheels are from a Revell Goodguys Highboy Roadster kit with the rear tires from the same kit, and the AMT Firestones from the base kit. The wheels are painted in Testors Acryl Jet Exhaust which does a darn good job of imitating the old Dow 7 anti-corrosion finish of 50’s Halibrand mag wheels. The motor is also from the ’36 Ford kit. The interior received a quick tuck and roll job courtesy of some Plastruct sheeting along with bucket seats of unknown source from ye olde parts box, and a steering wheel from the aforementioned Highboy kit.

Really, all pretty straightforward, I thought. No dramas, I thought. A two week build, tops, I thought. Get ‘er done in 2013, I thought. Well, it should be the first off the bench in 2014, anyway (I think…).

Happy New Year everyone and…
Thanx for lookin’,
B.

The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2600-web
The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2603-web
The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2607-web
The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2615-web
The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2618-web
The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2622-web

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update Empty Re: The One That Got Away – Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update

Post by zenrat Wed 01 Jan 2014, 10:25 am

You could call it done as it is IMO - a WIP Hot Rod. Being driven while it's worked on.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update Empty Re: The One That Got Away – Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update

Post by Bernard Kron Wed 01 Jan 2014, 10:27 am

zenrat wrote:You could call it done as it is IMO - a WIP Hot Rod.  Being driven while it's worked on.

Don't doubt that I wasn't tempted! But I just scored another can of Toreador Red so I guess I'll see it through as intended...
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:05 am

Just about done. I have some general cleaning and polishing to do, a license plate to hang, and then she'll be ready for the final beauty shots. I scored some Duplicolor Toreador Red so I was able to proceed with the repaint. Originally, I had planned to paint the red parts with Dullcote for a suede effect, but the paint came out smooth and glossy enough that I didn't want to waste it. The slick paint will be more apparent under stronger light with a white background. These shots were grabbed on my workbench which has very harsh lighting. With the black sheets (to hide the disaster which is the permanent state of my workbench) the photos are extremely contrasty. Dramatic but not very informative... Next stop, Completed Models!

Thanx for lookin',
B.

The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2626-web
The One That Got Away –  Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window - 05-01 Update DSCF2628-web
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down