AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod

+6
zenrat
DeeCee
dv8v8
silverfox
blatdriver
Bernard Kron
10 posters

Go down

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod Empty AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod

Post by Bernard Kron Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2692-web
AMT Chopped ’36 Ford 3-Window Coupe done Retro-Mod street-rod style
(More pictures below)

Un-written law of auto modeling No.9 says that when, at last, you have acquired all the parts and/or skills to replicate a long-out-of-production kit, said kit will be re-issued, usually just as you are engaged in executing your project or, if the fates are kind, shortly thereafter (so you can claim bragging rights…). Such is the case for what was intended to be an end-of-2013 project, an AMT chopped-top 3-window coupe which, because I knew that the first re-issue in many years of the early 60’s 3-in-1, including all the genuine parts which have been omitted from the kits for nearly 50 years, such as the fender skirts, the chopped top and much more, was due out right about the time I would finish this project up. I decided rather than replicating the classic custom or race car from the original kit I would use on of the after-market re-pops of the original kit top to build a modern rod, a blend of details from various periods across the decades since the kit was first released, what I am coming to call “Retro-Mod”, using period parts and more contemporary engineering and design cues.

The chopped top was purchased on eBay, a very nice high-quality resin casting from vendor “rdsxfan2”, fairly priced and delivered promptly. The contemporary design cue comes courtesy of a set of pseudo-Halibrand mag wheels from a Revell “Goodguys” ’32 Ford Highboy Roadster, stripped of their chrome and finished with Testors Acryl Jet Exhaust paint, a nearly  perfect match to the classic Dow 7 anti-corrosion coating used on Halibrand magnesium wheels in the 50’s and early 60’s. The project was intended to be a quick build so most of the car had been built from the commonly available AMT ’36 Ford Convertible street rod kit. I decided to use the big Pontiac V8 that dates all the way back to the original release, with the competition 6-pack carburetion. I was able to use the accessory belt drive intended for the tri-power variation by substituting an alternator from the Revell Deuce Highboy kit.

Other than the chopped top the body work is largely stock with the production grill and hood ornament and no fender  skirts. To show off the big Poncho mill I omitted the hood panels. Aft of the engine compartment the body has been shaved and decked. The car is bumperless so the bumper slots have been filled front and rear. To show off the dramatic rear deck I decided to hang the license plate from the chassis instead of on the valance or deck lid.

The stance of the car is was created by using an AMT ’40 Ford dropped axle, chosen because it comes chromed – it is largely identical to the ’36 Ford dropped axle that comes in the kit – and modified to take a pair of disc brakes pinched from a Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit. The front spring was shaved as was the front cross member for a total additional drop of around 3 scale inches. Finally, a little “rubber rake” was accomplished by using Revell Deuce Highboy rear tires along with the ubiquitous AMT Firestones at the front. I chose the AMT ‘stones rather than more modern, smaller front tires because of the way they filled the wheel openings.

The rear axle is the kit axle modified to take a pair of front disc brakes from the Revell Deuce Roadster kit. Both the front and rear axles are located by radius rods, again sourced from the Revell Deuce kits.

Lastly, a quickie tuck ‘n’ roll job was done on the interior by using some Evergreen Plastic sheet siding in the appropriate width of corrugation. Quilted bucket seats of unknown origin from the depths of my parts box create a 70’s note. The dashboard had the old fashioned accessory lamp removed and the glove box filled and an additional gauge added to the center where the radio would be. Colors  are Testors Acryl British Crimson and black with a body color dash. The steering wheel is from the ever-present Revell Deuce.

Paint is Duplicolor Toreador Red Metallic over Duplicolor Red Oxide primer with Duplicolor Universal Black fenders. I had originally intended to give the main body a suede finish using Testors Dullcote but when the gloss came up nicely I kept it. But, unfortunately, on December 30th, 2013, while doing some final finishing and foiling the color came up off primer coat in various places and I landed up having to repaint the body. So what was intended to be my last completion of 2013 became my first one for the New Year. As far as I know the AMT ’36 Ford 3-in-1 reissue still isn’t in the stores…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2717-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2711-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2710-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2698-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2716-web

More Detail pics  including the now obligatory see-through shot…
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod See-Through-Hood-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2706-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2600-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2603-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2607-web
AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2615-web
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod Empty Re: AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod

Post by blatdriver Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:24 pm

twothumbsup Nice colours, l like it
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod Empty Re: AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod

Post by silverfox Tue 07 Jan 2014, 6:57 pm

Nice build , looks real tough .
silverfox
silverfox
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1181
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Tue 07 Jan 2014, 7:01 pm

bigthumbsup
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5673
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm

Sweet colour and stance Bernard! very old school looking.  bigthumbsup
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm

bigthumbsup Nice one B.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:57 am

Thanx everyone! twothumbsup 

I've never been able to put my finger on it, but the AMT chopped '36 Ford 3-window has always looked so much tougher and more soulful than the Monogram one (even though the Monogram kit, IMHO, is probably a better kit with nicer detailing and crisper molding). It's that vibe I tried to emphasise with changes in the stance, the wheel and tire selection and the color combo. I think it's great that Round2 are re-releasing this kit with all the original parts. I think it will be a big hit, even though Revellogram re-issued there's a couple of years back. This will be in part because Revell neglected to re-issue the original chopped top option, unlike Round2 - big mistake!
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:33 am

Looks great, Has a very tuff look to it.
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade043 Wed 08 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

Man that looks sweet. Love everything about it
Jade043
Jade043
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray64 Wed 08 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm

bigthumbsup 
Ray64
Ray64
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

Thanx again everyone! Now, back to the '29 Ford roadster...
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:05 am

Hi guys! I just thought I would share a new resin piece that my friend Ed Fluck at Drag City Castings has just started shipping. They were mastered by Roger Hayes (Plowboy on many forums). It's a set of louvered hood pieces and a matching rear deck for the AMT '36 Ford 3-window coupe re-issue. They're $12.00 USD. I bought three sets and shipping was $3.00 here in the USA, but I don't know what international shipping is. Ed can be reached at lowcab36@epix.net.

I got mine today. I couldn't resist grabbing the '36 off my (dusty) shelf and slapping them on. Fit and finish are flawless. They add a whole new dimension to the car. I can't wait to see what the rear deck louvers do for it too. I'm planning to do a roadster using them.

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSC03117-vi

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod DSCF2785-web

AMT '36 Ford Chopped 3-Window Coupe Street Rod 012_zps9082879d

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sat 22 Mar 2014, 11:28 am

Almost missed this one, very cool 36 coupe
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10398
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down