AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build

+2
dv8v8
Bernard Kron
6 posters

Go down

AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build Empty AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build

Post by Bernard Kron Tue 22 Dec 2015, 10:35 am

AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4250-basic-web_zpseryfl0w7
AMT ‘39/’40 Ford Tudor Sedan Trophy Series Box Art Replica

This project started in response to 1940 Ford 75th Anniversary with a Group Assembly Scheme. Deadline was this month so I’m in just barely before the Holiday Season.  I decided to build a replica of the custom on the side of the original Trophy Series release of the classic AMT 1940 Ford Tudor Sedan kit. It features a unique set of scallop decals and the early AMT “Bottle Cap” moon discs. Here’s a composite of the box top, box side, a close-up of the custom version, and a photo image I created representing the box art using my completed model.

AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build Box-Art-Montage_zpsglvtpumr

The build is, as you would expect, very much out of the box. Unfortunately my “box” consists of various modern re-issues with many of the original parts long gone. Luckily somewhere along the line I had acquired a set of the original AMT “bottle cap” Moonies (which don’t faintly look like Moon discs) and, through the generosity of Johnny Stäveborn I obtained a set of the original capped exhaust dumps. The box art Custom image is based on the stock version on the box lid and many of the stock details are included, such as the full stock trim and door handles, and the roof mounted aerial. Also, the rear fender illustration consists of a pair of decals, one on the skirt and another wrapping around the back of the rear fender. The actual kit decals, when issued, only had a larger single decal to cover this area. So I decided to draw my own rear decals based on a scan of the original decal sheet which was provided to me by Ron Savoie (fordrodnkustom).

As you’ll see, I landed up making some small changes from the original box art. The most important one is that my decals have a green edges instead of s=white. This is because I landed up printing my own decals from my bit map art created in Photoshop  using my inkjet printer. I investigated having custom decals printed but this would have required vector graphics art drawn in a program like Corel Draw of Adobe Illustrator. It turns out that printers that can print white (such as an ALPS printer) don’t play nice with bit map images. Neither time, budget, nor learning curve allowed me to entertain this option, however, so I  made the command decision to make the change.

Other than that, as long as I was departing from the box art image, I decided to lower the car about 3.5 scale inches all the way around by shaving the kit dropped front axle and front cross member, and recessing the rear spring as far as it would go. In addition I did the running boards and engine bay, as well as the undercarriage, in contrasting white. The interior is a bit more elaborate than in the drawing as well.

Other than that it’s Out-Of-The-Box all the way. Paint is Tamiya TS-16 Yellow and Tamiya TS-65 Pearl Clear sealed with Duplicolor Clear once the decals were applied. Modern techniques such as Bare Metal Foil and wiring and plumbing the engine we also used. Special thanx go to Ron Savoie and Johnny Stäveborn, and also to John Goschke (froghawk), who showed me I had the rear decal upside down and who shared with me his technique of building up the chrome trim surfaces with .010” x .030” styrene strip. The originals are infamous for how shallow and difficult to foil they are. Thanx John, the BMF went much better this time!

Also a special Thank You to Cal Wood whole taught me the ins and outs of MicroDry printers. Next time Cal, I’ll be drawing vector graphic art, you can count on it!

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4257-web_zpsqzihfn2u
AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4253-web_zps0i6dz562
AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4267-web_zpsebsnejri
AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4261-web_zpshgmnxlos
AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4262-web_zpsejv6d1wo
AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4265-web_zpszuxlyp15
AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build Interior-web_zpsk44p21tn
AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build DSCF4264-web_zps3jz9ihnb
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build Empty Re: AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build

Post by dv8v8 Tue 22 Dec 2015, 12:51 pm

bigthumbsup
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build Empty Re: AMT '40 Ford Tudor Sedan Box Art Build

Post by DeeCee Wed 23 Dec 2015, 6:51 pm

Looks good there Bernard, nice rendition of the box art too.
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:02 pm

Gorgeous B.  You really nailed it.
Now build the green modified...

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Mon 28 Dec 2015, 6:06 am

Thanks guys! Big fun to research, build and photograph. Box Art is quite the relaxing diversion. I can see where people could get into this sort of thing!
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 28 Dec 2015, 8:40 am

This has turned out great, got one in my stash of kits to build.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10398
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron Tue 05 Jan 2016, 6:17 am

Thanks Allan!
Bernard Kron
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Fri 08 Jan 2016, 5:30 pm

Perfect.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down