AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated

4 posters

Go down

Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated Empty Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated

Post by clea Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:23 pm

Friday, the sun came out, so decided to paint the transtar cab, and the cruiseliner, for some reason I painted the mack Emerald Pearl; cut it back did another coat, looked bland ("poxy"), so did some Gold stripes, to try and add a bit to it.
Still looked shit; so did some 2mm viny to break the colours...walked away and lefti ti.
Raining today; dicking around in shed, thinking it needs something...stripes.
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-10%2015.30.44_zpslnoco8z5" />
If I'm doing stripes I need the right equipment...
Stubbies, Smokes and 1 kilo of prawns. Col056 rang, just to say hello...asked what I was doing, I explained and said I was trying to see how thin I could cut vinyl and make it represent pinstripes, and whether it was workable.

From the r/h side to the l/h side is the gradient of the red striping....I reckon I got it down to, less than .3mm.. COULD NOT read it on rule....started at .5
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-10%2015.26.01_zpsr4yyjasc" />
R/h side
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-10%2015.24.47_zps4716vw9i" />
L/H side
Anyway, I'll pull it off later, and redo it at one thickness.......it does work, cheaper than decals.
I don't like decals...just the time and cost. The vinyl cost me nothing, they are just off-cuts from the signwriters in Portland.
IF YOU NEED IT...Make it yourself.
Aside;
It surprised me when Col rang, I don't think I have met Col; I have admired Colin's modelling work for years, we may have run into each other on the road over the years...?, for a common thread of the enjoyment of a hobby for a bloke to ring another bloke...just to shoot the breeze, is outstanding...a simple thing such as a piece of plastic.
Col; Thursday would be perfect...look forward to it.

Clea.
clea
clea
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2013-04-27

Back to top Go down

Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated Empty Still Raining......5 stubbies, getting adventurous

Post by clea Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:23 pm

Back in the shed...thinking how flexible is the stuff..(Vinyl).
USING MY THUMB as a tool....
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-10%2018.06.14_zpsup0mpzon" />
Easy as..
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-10%2018.05.33_zpsdaw5jtoy" />

I like this, the thinner you get.......you have to watch out for twisting when doing tight bends.
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-10%2018.07.56_zpsr59f1bhm" />
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-10%2018.08.23_zpsuqyeesca" />

ALL for nothing...OFFCUTS.
Going back tomorrow to get more colours.......
If Scott gets sick of this, and wants to charge me.....Bin night is tuesday, back after dark !

Clea.
clea
clea

Back to top Go down

Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated Empty Re: Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated

Post by allan Mon 11 Apr 2016, 8:03 am

Looking good so far, that's the holy grail truck kit I am looking for.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by 70cudatj Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:56 pm

The striping really sets it off Clea, good work twothumbsup
70cudatj
70cudatj
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2059
Registration date : 2012-04-09

Back to top Go down

Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated Empty The Cruisliners penultimate update......(HOPEFULLY)

Post by clea Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:37 pm

As of 2.00pm today.....I have to admit...this thing is getting to be a pain in the arse.
I shouldn't have used it as the test bed to see how thin I could get the tape.
I shouldn't have removed the trial sections of the tape. The duplicolor put up with ALL the masking to do the Gold stripe, I take the section off the r/h door...
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-11%2012.45.29_zpsqjxbkujx" />
And it pulled the paint off.....F... me !
Any way, I'll pull the hinge and redo door. The other thing that annoys me with these ones,...THE BLOODY OVERSIZED WIPERS and grab rails.
!! I think I've built 2 before this one no matter how hard I try, just don't seem to be able to get the wipers to scale.
This is it's update....Will finish it tomorrow.
Foiled the grill, corrected logo, paint mount bar.....loose 1 light.
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-11%2012.45.16_zpsjbttbqbs" />
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-11%2013.27.26_zpshmm3lqya" />
Do the other light mount the hardware
Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated <a href=Mack Cruiseliner.....Updated 2016-04-11%2013.33.42_zpsnzah4ot9" />
So tomorrow should see the rego done, gotta cast another ram, do the tank steps and back gaurds, put the badges and indicators on then.....toss it in the bin ?

Clea.
Allan......I have 2 of these left. I will send Pm if your'e interested.
clea
clea

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:37 pm

pm sent.
allan
allan