AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paints

3 posters

Go down

paints Empty paints

Post by ash74 Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:29 pm

Hello All

I have a question I hope you all might be answer. How do you all get the colors for painting? I am more heading along the lines of NASCAR or drag cars. I am really struggling to get correct colors, it seems that although the paints I want exist. They are all based overseas. This means they wont ship to Australia. Hope someone might be able to help? Thanks

Ash

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2016-03-13

Back to top Go down

paints Empty Re: paints

Post by DeeCee Tue 06 Jun 2017, 10:23 pm

I use duplicolor cans, ( auto acrylic), and decant them into a jar when i need them, and shoot
it through an airbrush, this way you can mix and match your own colors and change up the shades
as you please, the paint keeps for ever in the can too.
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Wed 07 Jun 2017, 8:19 pm

I've been a painter for most of my life and the best way to get the colour you want is learn to mix your own colours, just start with the basic Red, Blue, Yellow, black and white, use true colours eg. not lemon yellow or yellow gold as they are already mixed with other colours you need tinters.

I get my paint from a proper auto paint shop that actually supply panel shops, not supercheap, auto one etc, they will rob you blind. I buy about 250ml of each colour for model stuff and its base coat and will need a clear over it or it does look cool flat, it also dries super fast which is awesome, just ask for tinters not a colour from a colour chart.

Duplicolour is similar stuff just mixed in factory car colours and put into a spray can.

With a bit of practice you will work out what to mix together to get it close, don't beat yourself up if you cant get it spot on as it truly is an art. You can cheat with pantone colours as the charts have percentages to help mix, you just need to same base colours as they use to get it right.
Morrie
Morrie
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ash74 Fri 09 Jun 2017, 3:56 pm

Thank you both

I have made contact with a local auto paint supplier, in the hope of establish a rapport, for a long and fruitful relationship. If not I will try the duplicolour option. Thanks

Ash

ash74
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2016-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down