AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airbrush and paints Q

5 posters

Go down

Airbrush and paints Q Empty Airbrush and paints Q

Post by slowlylearning Tue 21 Jul 2015, 4:11 am

You guys must be sick of questions like this, but I'm clueless as to what works with what etc.

I've got a double action airbrush setup on the way and I'm looking to see what I can use, so;

Are the acrylic Tamiya paints that come in the little jars useable in an airbrush?

Ive got thinner, is the ration something easy like 1:3 (1-thinner and 3-paint)?

Can I use Vallajo white primer and put Tamiya acrylic paint on top of it?

Can I put Tamiya acrylic paints and Vallejo paints on the same model?

Can I use this ( http://www.bnamodelworld.com/vallejo/av-26517 ) to clearcoat it all? Is this even clearcoat?

What the hell is the product I keep seeing called Retarder? Is it necessary?

What's a cheap product to clean the airbrush? Turps? Tamiya Thinner?

Can I use the Tamiya Acrylic thinner to thin Vallejo paints?

Up until this point Ive used Tamiya acrylics with a brush, and for everything else I've been using Aussie Export enamels.

Thanks guys, I don't trust reading shit from other websites, I ant to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak Smile

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Airbrush and paints Q Empty Re: Airbrush and paints Q

Post by blatdriver Tue 21 Jul 2015, 10:01 am

Hi,

I can answer some of your questions for you,

the acrylic Tamiya paints that come in the little jars can go through an airbrush, the ratio differs from Jar to Jar, depending on how thick the paint is, but it dose not have to be exact either, thin it to the consistency of skim milk, and try that.
if it is too thick it will come out looking dry or splatter and clog up the air bursh
If it is too thin it will be opaque (I use it like this to add a dusty look to cars) it may also run.

Practice on some paper or scrap spure before painting on a model, you will get used to what work for you and your airbrush.

I have used Tamiya primer under Vallejo, at it's worked fine, but never tried the other way, and they work ok together, I have never tried mixing them though,

I have not used Vallejo clear varnish, but I have used other brands, which was a high gloss clear, but test it first.

A Retarder, is something you can add to paint to slow the drying time, which give you more time to work, reduced that lumpy effect you get when you brush the same area for too long, and it can help give a smoother finish, ( I have not used it for models)

I use Metho to clean out my airbrush after using Acrylics, I also put a small amount though the airbrush before painting to clean out any dust of flush that may be left over after clean it out last time.

I have not tried Tamiya to thin Vallejo.

I hope this helps,
-Dion
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Tue 21 Jul 2015, 7:50 pm

Thanks Dion, this help so so much Very Happy I'll be sure to pick up some metho and plastic spoons for testing! I'm pumped to start tring stuff out!!!!

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blatdriver Wed 22 Jul 2015, 11:54 am

No worries,

When I started out with a airbrush, Peter from Runway13 helped me a lot, and sent me a link on developing airbrush skills,

http://howtoairbrush.com/airbrush-lessons/

I started in the middle column at the bottom Airbrush Lesson One and worked my way up, I only ended up doing about 4 or 5 activities before starting a spare car body.
(I really should go back and do the others)

I found this helped a lot with getting the right distance from the paper and general control.

-Dion
blatdriver
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:21 pm

I use automotive acrylic, you can buy the colour you like in a spray can from supercheap or where ever, then spray it into a paper cup and tip it straight into your airbrush no thinning required.

I also use auto base coat which has a flat finish until you clear coat it, I use acyrlic clear as it dries super fast and can be polished very well, most 1:1 show cars are done this way.

I have use 2k clear coat on a lot of models as I usually have some sitting around from other airbrushing/painting jobs and the finish is brilliant but it pretty toxic and way to expensive for models and has to be sprayed through a mini spray gun with a 1mm tip.

clean up with all these is with auto thinners.
Morrie
Morrie
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Back to top Go down

Airbrush and paints Q Empty Using an airbrush

Post by ed8101 Mon 23 Nov 2015, 4:14 pm

I appreciate Morrie's advice about using an airbrush.  It is something I want to learn to do.  After many years I am trying to get back into model building.  I'm finding I'm pretty rusty! I'm going to check out the link blatdriver provided.

ed8101
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Iansmodels Mon 23 Nov 2015, 9:23 pm

acrylic thinners with acrylic paint enamel with enamel always wash your brush with the same thinner as your using in the paint milky consitency is always best have a look next time your pour your milk into your coffee as mentioned test bed on paper card first enamel can cover acrylics but dont put acrylic over enamels
Iansmodels
Iansmodels

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down