AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atkinson Twin Steer

+15
stevegt738
Kane
Kynan
Argosy620
truges
Paul
slowlylearning
dv8v8
sarrx
tezza43
sports850
Rowdy75
allan
checkmate
Mr Mopar
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Atkinson Twin Steer Empty Atkinson Twin Steer

Post by Mr Mopar Sat 31 Oct 2009, 3:27 pm

Picked up an resin Atkinson day cab recently, going to cut and shut a couple of Chevy Titan Chassis together to make a twin steer tipper something like this.

Atkinson Twin Steer 081

Not many of these around these days. Was lucky that this one is being used on the construction of the new tram line down Port Rd so I could get some reference pics.

It's early days at the moment, just doing some basic assembly of components such as the engine and diffs, working out dimensions and checking what bits I will have to scratch build.

Atkinson Twin Steer 004-3

Atkinson Twin Steer 007-1
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-08-07

Back to top Go down

Atkinson Twin Steer Empty Re: Atkinson Twin Steer

Post by checkmate Sat 31 Oct 2009, 3:45 pm

Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Male Number of posts : 2573
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.majesticvanners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sat 31 Oct 2009, 5:32 pm

now thats diffrent, Atkinson Twin Steer 708873 are u going with the yellow.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowdy75 Sat 31 Oct 2009, 10:20 pm

cool. I look forward to seeing the finished item

Rowdy75

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Sat 31 Oct 2009, 11:29 pm

Yep it will be yellow, and hopefully should end up looking very similar to the real thing. Been looking through the Auslowe catalogue and am going to order some 6 spoke rims and a few other bits and pieces. Looks like I will have to scratch build the tipper though. Going back in the morning to take more detail photos.
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Sun 01 Nov 2009, 7:53 am

That's a great idea for a model . I love this type of model building where people are making specific vehicles based on full sized vehicles .
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sun 01 Nov 2009, 5:23 pm

its going to look great. Atkinson Twin Steer Icon_cool
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Mon 02 Nov 2009, 10:50 am

Nice project and something close to home too . I'll be watching your progress with much interest.

Atkinson Twin Steer 479898
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Mon 02 Nov 2009, 3:20 pm

Had a bit to do with this old girl in my travels, amazed she's still around. There was actually a short piece on these trucks in Truck and Bus when they were new to the company (early mid 70's I think). If I knew where it was I'd email a scan to you. Funny thing with the real truck is your Resin cab is probably stronger than the real thing if it's an early Fibreglass cab Atkinson.
Who does the resin cabs? Always after old Aussie stuff, especially an early Butterbox Acco.
Will be watching this one.

P.S Don't forget those Big Atkinson A's on the front wheels, gotta have them if she's gonna look like a real Atkinson. Atkinson Twin Steer Icon_razz

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Mon 02 Nov 2009, 7:52 pm

I got the cab off ebay recently, the bloke advertises lots of resin truck cabs. I am not sure of this guys background. As I hadn't seen one of these iconic 70s trucks before I grabbed it while I had the oportunity.

If anyone has any info on these Atkinsons it would be great, I have a few photos of the tipper that I took last week, but when I went back it has been moved into a compound so I couldn't get any more shots. I am going to use the mechanicals from the Titan but don't have any idea what sort of engine and gearbox these would have had. Also, I dont know what the boxes are either side of the fuel tank, I assume that the front one is the battery box and the other is a locker but this is only a guess.

I am also on the lookout for a Butterbox Inter, a Dodge AT4 or D5N, and a J series Bedford (just a small wish list [i could also include many other classics such as a Commer, TK Bedford, D Series Ford etc etc etc). Just love these Aussie trucks from the 60s and 70s, full of character.

...and the big Atkinson A's on the front wheels, essential but they have me stumped at the moment. For those that don't know, the photo should explain.

Atkinson Twin Steer 075

If I can knock them up they will be a nice detail touch on the kit. Depends how the build turns out but might look at getting them brass etched.

I made a good start on the kit on the weekend, got the chassis cut and shut, the rear end assembled, and a start on the front axles.

Atkinson Twin Steer 008-3
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Mon 02 Nov 2009, 8:05 pm

I'm into a spot of Railway modeling and you can get various sized lettering that may be of use to you. I'm not too sure how big they go and if there would be one big enough for you. The Font may be a bit different but may find something close. They are made by a company called Slaters. Might be worth a look.
KFS in England also do some photoetch Atkinson badges that may be of help they should be in Nigel Lowe's catalogue or he may be able to tell you if they are still available.

Good to know I'm not the only bloke in S.A that likes all the Pommy and Ozzie stuff you can't get.

I've got a shipload of old Truck and Bus mags if I get a chance I'll see if I have a Road test or review of this model. Like I said I know I definately have photos of this truck or one of its sisters. It just a matter of going through the 1000's of mags in my archives.

P.S I also know of a bloke on a railway forum I help moderate that is in S.A and does custom photoetching, if you get stuck I'll try grab his details for you.

Just had another look at your pics. I see your into the trains aswell. Is that an AN AHDL hopper kit I see there on your bench. Atkinson Twin Steer Icon_cool

Last edited by atjr on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some extra info.)

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Mon 02 Nov 2009, 8:41 pm

Had a look at the KFS stuff in the Auslowe catalogue, the sheet of brass etch from the Seddon Atkinson is one possibility but it is difficult to tell from the quality of the printing.

If you are talking of Tony from Model Etch, I've had abit to do with him regarding railway stuff and that was where I was thinking of going. Just know that it would be an expensive exercise to get these done in brass.

As far as railways go, yep im into anything that run on SA rails. It is a AHDL and the open wagon is a Scaleways WAGR WGX. Also in the background of the shots is a SAR Model Co Red Hen, a couple of Blue Birds and if you look closely there is a hood of a 900 in the cabinet.

My brother (Paul) co-owns End of the Line Hobbies at Victor and between us we produce resin kits of SAR and CR rolling stock under the banner Strath Hobbies. I have made some of the masters that he uses but he has done the bulk of the masters and all of the casting these days. The AHDL and AHCL are the next kits that are likely to be released in the new year. These are castings of old masters that we are going through the process of putting together to see how we can improve them to make them easier to build.
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Mon 02 Nov 2009, 8:54 pm

Ahhh. I've helped you and your brothers incomes a bit then. I was down getting some gear from Paul a few weeks back, nice bloke. I must say your Strath range is very good, and I'll be after an SLC when you cast some more.
That's a bit scary, another bloke into SAR, Drag cars and Aussie trucks. I'm not the only madman in S.A!
Might send you a PM about some stuff. The Forum I get on would be very interested in keeping up with your new Strath releases and we'd welcome any updates you can provide. We have offered Mr. Model Etch the same deal and he is a new poster on our board. We are very much Pro SA rail modeling and promote the local industry when we can as there can never be enough SAR models, the more the merrier.

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Mon 02 Nov 2009, 9:20 pm

No, not the only mad man. Great to come across another loon.

No problem regarding the PM (we have probably got far enough of track for this thread). I just got to be a bit carefull talking about new releases before they hit the shelf. Don't want to build up expectations, especially if something goes wrong and it never makes the shop. Still, happy to share the current product list. You might have noticed we do a fantastic looking 3 dome HCA cement hopper (and you can buy it in any of the configurations from when it was first built through to the AN era including the Readymix version)
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Mon 02 Nov 2009, 9:33 pm

No worries and sorry to Paul here for going off topic a bit, it's not every day you come across someone with such a strange list of hobbies.
No problem with not building expectations, but we'd be happy to help spreading the word when we can. I'll PM you with our Forum link when our Admin gives me the green light.

Back on topic I'll see what I can come up with on the Atkinson, scan it and arrange to Email you anything I can find. I should be able to find out the donk that's in that truck for you, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the small article I have. Expect another PM hopefully by this time next week. Got a bit on the go this week.

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Mon 02 Nov 2009, 9:47 pm

Strange? I always though it was everyone else who was strange. Railways, Drags, Trucks....... seems like a perfect fit to me.

No dramas with the timing, I am meant to be writing a uni assignment due next Monday and have managed to successfully distract myself again.
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Mon 02 Nov 2009, 10:32 pm

You have a good point there, I've often thought people with no hobbies or interests were strange. I can't see the problem with being a horsepower junkie, the more horses the better. Hence the interest in 4000 odd HP GM locos.
I don't suppose your'e into fast planes and speedboats aswell?

I'll start digging for those details for you. I usually write any thing I'm interested in, especially SA stuff, on the covers of old mags so I've probably marked that issue.

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Tue 03 Nov 2009, 12:20 am

pretty sure that Andy at scaleautomobilia can help out with a resin ACCO
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5648
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Tue 03 Nov 2009, 1:18 am

Cheers mate,
Your'e right Andy probably does have the 3070 which I have. The one we are chasing is the old non tilt cab Acco. Which from memory was originally called an AACO, which stood for Australian A model Cab Over from memory. This came from the original Army Acco lookalike which I should know the model name of but cant remember at the moment.

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Nov 2009, 2:38 am

MrMopar & atjr I see U both into raliways truck and cars, I'll say cars at this stage coz my side of the car bit is rally cars but I'm also into trucks & trains maybe we could get together and have a good ole chin wag hey. Like the Akinson so far MrMopar.

Dingo Atkinson Twin Steer Icon_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Tue 03 Nov 2009, 1:04 pm

The early AACO we are looking for is one of these

Atkinson Twin Steer 1354516423_8b15ceb5b8

Wouldn't mind one of the later cabs aswell, just put off by the fact they are Jaymar castings
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Tue 03 Nov 2009, 3:39 pm

Surpringly good for a Jaymar mate, looking at mine as I write this. A lot thicker than most of his stuff, just a bit fragile around the cab steps. Get it through Andy though, mine took some getting. Mine is going to built as an AN flatop that used to be at Mile End which I just recently got some pics of.
That butterbox is a pearler. I've driven a few Army versions, including the very first model to one of the last model 6x6 wreckers. Even had a go in a twin cab ex Fire truck. Bloke I know has a few up at his place and dozens of those Bonneted Dodges like you are after for your race transporter. His place looks like a wreckers yard.

Dingo, I reckon we have met before if you are who I think. It was a while ago though. You will have a PM soon.

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Tue 03 Nov 2009, 7:54 pm

Went back to the construction site after work today, determined to get some more photos even if I had to climb the fence. It must be my lucky day, not only did I win 1st and 2nd place in the office sweep on the cup, but when I got to the site the gates were open, no one was around, and the tipper tray was slightly raised. This meant I got plenty of shots of what I wanted without getting grubby or having to explain myself to anyone.

This did raise one more question, what is this engine and where might I find something close?

Atkinson Twin Steer 023

I know its not much to go on, but I am sure someone out there will recognise this powerplant. There are a few motors in the Auslowe catalogue that are close-ish, but I dont think they are what I am looking for.
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by sarrx Tue 03 Nov 2009, 8:33 pm

Goin by the colour and what I can see it looks like a Cummins. Not sure which model, but I'll have a quick look and see how buried my article on it is and see if that sheds any light.

sarrx
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Mopar Wed 04 Nov 2009, 10:09 pm

Ok, Ive got her up on all 8 now and have started to add air tanks and a bit of detail. Still need to sort the steering box and a tailshaft support but a promising beginning.

Atkinson Twin Steer 009

Atkinson Twin Steer 014
Mr Mopar
Mr Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content