AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust

+3
tjjr07
Paul
Carps
7 posters

Go down

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Empty Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust

Post by Carps Fri 25 Apr 2008, 5:33 pm

So here's my alternate take on rust.

This is part of my rust farm, the underside of my BBQ hot-plate.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Rustybbq

The rust can be chipped off in big flakes or scraped off using a chisel or whatever you have handy for scraping stuff.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Rustchips

The rust is collected in containers. Often I crush the big chunks to create more dust than rust.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Rustydust

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Crushedrust

Here's some different rust, grown in a cup of nails, just add water. The water evaporates but not after turning the nails into a nice rusty mess. Different types of nails create different coloured rust.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Rustynails

My process is pretty easy. First up detail the part you want to send rusty. I cleaned all the plastic away that didn't look like a '34 Ford fender and drilled out the headlamp mounting hole plus the horn bracket hole and the two holes where the coach bolts attache the fender brace to the fender.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust 34headlamphole

The trick part here is the extra detail. On a real '34 fender the headlamp mounting is not just a hole it has a sort of rolled edge which helps keep everything located properly. So a little heat from a match and a push against the hot plastic from below with a toothpick and it looks much more like the real deal.

Underneath all the moulded in stuff has to go. I use a medium stone on my Dremmel to get rid of this stuff.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Fenderunderside

Next up is to apply some paint. I use this water based stuff from the model railway store, it dries sort of looking like rust. But the best bit is it stays wet for a good time.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Waterbasedrust

I just paint it all over the part not taking any particular care with coverage or surface finish. Sometimes I may coat the part with coloured enamel to replicate original paint before adding the rusty stuff. Experimentation is good and will get you many different effects.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Wetpaint

Whilst the paint is still wet, the part is dropped in the container of rust, the lid sealed and....

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Wetpaintandrust

I shake the bejeeezus out of it. How long doesn't seem to matter, the important bit is how wet the paint was.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Rustshake

When ready open the container and remove your rusty part. Carfeul here as there'll be very fine rust dust looking to escape and make a mess. So I'd strongly recommend this job is done outside.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Rustdust

Because I was taking photos the paint on the topside dried before I did the shake deal but it was wet enough that it looks OK.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust 34fendertop

The underside was much wetter and the difference is obvious. From here the part can be detailed with whatever else you use such as Tamiya pastels etc.

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust 34nicefender

Sometimes I even add some of the iron paint and activator to get a variation in the surface effect. The activator works well on the real rust if you want it to look even more rusty.
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3168
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Empty Re: Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust

Post by Paul Fri 25 Apr 2008, 9:20 pm

Great way of doing scale rust Carps! I already started my real rust collection and will try mixing the 2 methods on my '32 Reaper!

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust LakeRat

This is the kind of finish I will be trying to achieve on it!
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4564
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Empty Re: Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust

Post by tjjr07 Fri 25 Apr 2008, 9:39 pm

great tutorial carps...
tjjr07
tjjr07
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang_67 Mon 05 Apr 2010, 7:47 pm

Awesome tut mate! Very Happy Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust 951693 Though Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust Kopfschuettel Any chance of getting them back? Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust 403220

Last edited by Mustang_67 on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Mustang_67
Mustang_67
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2009-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon 05 Apr 2010, 9:24 pm

you really need ta stop moving/deleting your pix Carps!!!! any chance of getting 'em back for this one?? Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust 403220
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4564
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Tue 06 Apr 2010, 7:59 am

Yeah - where have all the pics gone?

wtf

aus
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Mon 03 May 2010, 1:38 pm

I've been using Haymes Designer Finishes real iron paint and oxidising patina.
Still working on it but this is where i'm at.
Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust FodebaletWIP21-04-10
Rust 102, or a Carps approach to rust FodebaletWIP02-05-10

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by earlymodelkits.com.au Wed 05 May 2010, 3:36 pm

anyone have any feedback about Rustall
earlymodelkits.com.au
earlymodelkits.com.au
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Wed 05 May 2010, 11:13 pm

Luke take a look at Andy's topic on rusting cars - it's the very first topic posted in this same thread. He uses Rustall for his effects. You can buy it from Model Railway shops, but I don't know who the wholesaler is?

aus
Tezza
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down