AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

+108
Deaf as
nosaj76
Antwon
Jerry Ol'55
Torry
blatdriver
window
MM
wizz83
frank
codea
VintageJDM
BluBlood
Johno
Dino84
Jade043
ozibimmer
frozono
Brootal
luchoteam
Michaelw
Iansmodels
Murphy51
ozmodeler
silverfox
Yugster
70cudatj
bandidomotorsport
Stuntman Mike
bluedog
cdansie
spector
Siggs
otherunicorn
The Bronze
Mustang_67
Yahshu
RetrospectKustoms
Nota
dufasdave
Tubman
hqmon
Carps
Bigdaddy0
Shunter
baZOOKa
Deadly
SPIKE426
ToranaDan
ausbuilder
DeeCee
RS2000
fanof124
Bantoft
stevegt738
Adam Clark
stump
michael
ratsmann
southy
zenrat
corrupted
Captain BF
ADAMTEP
aussie muscle
xm-221
PTEAZA
modelmaker
Geoff
gxcoupe
doorslammerfan
ProBee
HDT143
mopar68
HAMMOSZED
Tillerman
mgy125
Kane
dv8v8
Clutch
spiritman
checkmate
Alfaholic
The Goose
Bear
harley fan
Andrew J
con$truktive
AJ
truges
micsmav
allan
Chris
grey six
fat141
stoongee
bennyg
miwi
Bryce
ChevyFan
tezza43
sports850
slowlylearning
ourcircus
Shoey
Marshie
Paul
ShawnS
112 posters

Page 35 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Go down

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Empty Re: XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

Post by Carps Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm

Brilliant work! bigthumbsup
Carps
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3168
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Empty Re: XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

Post by aussie muscle Wed 24 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

I fade the tires with a light wash of Dust (off-white) acrylic that came in my weathering set. it gives them a slight grey colour that seems about right. alternatively a wash of black and dark brown to give it a road grime look.
very bad tires:
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Wrayswreckage8_zps92f4bc3b
Grimy tires:
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Ace02_zpsc44bb4db

DeeCee wrote: i know that weathering is a lot harder than making the buggers shine, great job mate.
I find that hard to believe. i've done plenty of convincing weathered cars, but never able to get a flawless showroom look.
aussie muscle
aussie muscle
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2011-06-06

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87459383@N07/albums/with/721577118

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse Thu 25 Dec 2014, 5:06 pm

wow I'm lost for words

mouse
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Sun 04 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm

Happy New year all.

Still pondering the tyre weathering for the trailer but there is more work on the body to show you.
Lets start with the interior roof.
I made the sun visors, light and grab handles.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 LTdHVp
It's been a long time since I showed you a how-to for anything so here's a quickie for making many of the same type of flat part.
Cut the styrene pieces to slightly larger than the final size.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 KHmQ6x
Using small drops of super glue, glue the pieces to each other.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 KFNbGz
Carve, grind and sand the block to the required shape.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 OcOuxi
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 6Q5qmh
Separate the parts with a sharp blade then clean them up as required.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 AebPuB
I did the sun visors in the same way.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 FOAGcb

The next challenge was to get the window glass to sit closer to the outside of the window frame. The only way to do this was to alter the thickness of the pillars around the inside of the frames. I also decided to add a filler piece inside to create a channel for the clear styrene sheet to sit in.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 M4M68M
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 DR0wyw
Ditto for the rear windows.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 KpLl9j
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Dj5FyU
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 IhSYDr
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 LeTf9N
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Io33v0
The clear styrene window pieces shaped and ready to go. I decided to have both rear passenger windows fully wound up, the front passenger window wound down 2/3rds and the drivers window fully wound down.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 MYRyry
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 M7BZOM
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 PkWKs0
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 NjVmEH

Even after 4 years things still turn to crap. I had to strip and re-spray the primer on the body after it went soft when I had to handle the body frequently during the work on the interior. All went well until an unexpected gust of wind (on a calm day) sent the body on a 3ft downwards trip to the cement path causing damage to the rear trim around the tail lights.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 FJAIId
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Dxpe9C
Here's how I fixed that. I stuck some Tamiya tape underneath the tail light cut out and mixed up some talc and superglue and slapped it on to the damaged area.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 E1Qgd9
When the glue set I removed the tape,
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 JUwPfy
and shaped the area to suit.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 9g2BBF
Good as gold
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 DNY1fO
I hit the body with Tamiya TS-46 light sand for the base coat.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 FPV7N2
Mixed up some beige using Tamiya TS-7 Racing white tinted with TS-16 Yellow and AS-22 Dark earth to make a pale caramel colour.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 NRDehn
The first coat was sprayed today.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Z7fz8f
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 RX228R
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 7GC46J
In case you were wondering what Bahama beige looks like here are some samples.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 Ford_f10
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 35 10032010

That's it for now. Very happy to finally get that first coat of paint onto the body after such a long wait.

CheersSS

Last edited by ShawnS on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Sun 04 Jan 2015, 10:28 pm

AWESOME WORK SHAUN!!!!

This build has been mind blowing all the way through, but to see it looking like the real thing,
at the end of the build,........ just AWESOME!!!!!
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 05 Jan 2015, 9:49 am

WOW great colour on it. bigthumbsup
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:09 pm

DeeCee wrote:AWESOME WORK SHAUN!!!!

This build has been mind blowing all the way through, but to see it looking like the real thing,
at the end of the build,........ just AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks Dale but she's nowhere near the end of the build yet. With 2 of the buggers under construction I figure it's about 1/3 distance at the moment.
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabosamu Thu 15 Jan 2015, 9:54 am

I want to be like you!!! And I was feeling good for modifying one of revell´s prepainted camaros... You´ve got a gift!!! Keep up the hard work!!! hope to see it finished soon, I haven´t read all of the comments, but how much time have you been working on this?
Gabosamu
Gabosamu
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-12-04

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=93886

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Thu 15 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

Great work Shawn, this is just unbelievable! Words fail me!! Shocked
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Thu 15 Jan 2015, 7:51 pm

Gabosamu wrote:, I haven´t read all of the comments, but how much time have you been working on this?

Thanks for the kind words Gabosamu. The first post of this thread was in April 2011 but I started it late March 2011, so it's been four long years so far.
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabosamu Fri 16 Jan 2015, 7:38 am

ShawnS wrote:
Gabosamu wrote:, I haven´t read all of the comments, but how much time have you been working on this?

Thanks for the kind words Gabosamu. The first post of this thread was in April 2011 but I started it late March 2011, so it's been four long years so far.

It´s been worth the time, it looks really amazing, I´ve been stuck also with "my return" to scale models, I bought that camaro on december 23rd and I´m barely 50% of what I want it to look like, You have a looooooot more patience than me, I don´t know if I can wait that long on a single built, hope you´re painting some other models, but I repeat it´s been worth every hour on it.
Gabosamu
Gabosamu
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-12-04

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=93886

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 23 Mar 2015, 7:11 pm

Hows this one going popcorn
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Mon 23 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm

uuhhhhggg. Don't ask. It's been a bastard of a summer. I got as far as finishing the final colour coats and laying down the first clear coat and after that I found that every time I was free to do the final clear coats the weather wasn't ready for me and I had to abandon any painting plans. I think we have had the longest run of windy days here in Southern Adelaide on top of the regular hot and/or humid days that we usually get.

I have found it fairly hard to get motivated to kick off again but I think it's just a temporary setback. The project isn't abandoned it's just slightly stalled.

CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by nosaj76 Thu 26 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm

Love the tips and tricks mate about the glue and talc!..Pardon my ignorance but what is the theory behind mixing Windex with your paint? Keep up the good work.
nosaj76
nosaj76

Male Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Fri 27 Mar 2015, 7:16 pm

nosaj76 wrote:Love the tips and tricks mate about the glue and talc!..Pardon my ignorance but what is the theory behind mixing Windex with your paint? Keep up the good work.

I was surfing through youtube trying to find tips and tricks for airbrushing acrylic paints and I stumbled across a guy who was using Windex to thin the acrylics he was using. As I didn't have any acrylic thinners on hand I thought I'd give it a go. It's not for every situation but it worked for the gold paint I used on the trailer. Pretty handy for cleaning the airbrush too.
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Fri 27 Mar 2015, 7:29 pm

I seen that too using windex for airbrushing acrylic, I picked up some Italeri acrylic paint its made by Vallejo. Found metho works too with both paints and is cheaper to use. Oh if you make a mistake with the paint it washes off with metho too. I use metho with the small bottles of Tamiya acrylic too. Oh one thing to watch for if you are airbrushing with metho as a thinners on a cold day you can end up with metho freezing in the paint and it goes patchy and airbrush can freeze,
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Sun 29 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

Thinning acrylics with metho makes them dry real quick which may be good or bad depending on what you're doing.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sun 24 May 2015, 2:33 pm

popcorn
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Sun 24 May 2015, 4:25 pm

You are truly in for the long haul on this project.  It is getting closer with every post.  Hang in there. You do nice work.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Fri 17 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

How's it going with this one. popcorn
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Fri 17 Jul 2015, 4:29 pm

The break from the build has collided with the usual winter break to form a super black hole of bugger all. scratch So the answer to your question Allan is--  not much mate. I've not really been doing anything model related lately, just not in the zone at the moment.
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sat 18 Jul 2015, 10:22 am

Ok than will be watching and waiting for a up date in time.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by min16i Wed 22 Jul 2015, 5:36 pm

Stay with it Shawn,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been inspired by this monumental project. I re-read it the other night just because it was here.

We will just have to wait for the seasons to change, and the mighty Falcon will once again spread it's wings.

That was a bit deep wasn't it lol

Ian

min16i
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Thu 16 Mar 2017, 8:27 pm

Hi again.

So here I sit in the mother(f****r) of all slumps and I began pondering the future of this build and I've started thinking that perhaps I'm going about it all in the wrong way. Maybe I'm stalled because I am too personally attached to the 1:1 cars I am trying to replicate and the pressure I am putting on myself to do my memories justice is putting the bigger picture out of focus. What do I do about it ? Which direction should I head ? I started thinking about a slump buster build. What should I build ? More thinking.. Question Question Question Question
 I opened a box the other day wondering why it was there and what was in it and I found the third XE Falcon body/chassis and complete set of parts that I cast a couple of years ago and I was thinking maybe I should bust my slump with a Falcon that I am not attached to. Perhaps I should keep it simple without too many extra details and concentrate on the often forgotten skill of finishing a model essentially as a test run for finishing the two main builds.

I haven't made a final decision yet just thinking out loud.

Your thoughts as always are welcome.

CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Thu 16 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

Shaun, sometimes it just takes a good fun build to break that slump mate.
Drag out one of those bodies, slap a bloody big engine in it, a sweet set of wheels,
the right color... and before you know it, it's done!!! And you have finally finished one of your XE's..

Go for it, you can do it..
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next