AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

+108
Deaf as
nosaj76
Antwon
Jerry Ol'55
Torry
blatdriver
window
MM
wizz83
frank
codea
VintageJDM
BluBlood
Johno
Dino84
Jade043
ozibimmer
frozono
Brootal
luchoteam
Michaelw
Iansmodels
Murphy51
ozmodeler
silverfox
Yugster
70cudatj
bandidomotorsport
Stuntman Mike
bluedog
cdansie
spector
Siggs
otherunicorn
The Bronze
Mustang_67
Yahshu
RetrospectKustoms
Nota
dufasdave
Tubman
hqmon
Carps
Bigdaddy0
Shunter
baZOOKa
Deadly
SPIKE426
ToranaDan
ausbuilder
DeeCee
RS2000
fanof124
Bantoft
stevegt738
Adam Clark
stump
michael
ratsmann
southy
zenrat
corrupted
Captain BF
ADAMTEP
aussie muscle
xm-221
PTEAZA
modelmaker
Geoff
gxcoupe
doorslammerfan
ProBee
HDT143
mopar68
HAMMOSZED
Tillerman
mgy125
Kane
dv8v8
Clutch
spiritman
checkmate
Alfaholic
The Goose
Bear
harley fan
Andrew J
con$truktive
AJ
truges
micsmav
allan
Chris
grey six
fat141
stoongee
bennyg
miwi
Bryce
ChevyFan
tezza43
sports850
slowlylearning
ourcircus
Shoey
Marshie
Paul
ShawnS
112 posters

Page 36 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36

Go down

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 Empty Re: XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

Post by ourcircus Thu 16 Mar 2017, 8:36 pm

Im with DeeCee, go for it mate
ourcircus
ourcircus
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 Empty Re: XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

Post by mgy125 Fri 17 Mar 2017, 6:13 am

Shawn, I know the feeling very well. I agree with DeeCee. Get up something simple...maybe a couple of simple builds. Just to experience completing a model. A slammer, maybe???
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by codea Fri 31 Mar 2017, 9:33 pm

Shawn, Just so you know, I'm not trying to stalk you. As I said on MCM, your work inspired a heap of others including me to try something. I understand that you can reach a point where anything is tough to contemplate starting and nothing at all is hard to fathom, but seems to be the thing right now.

I think that it is hard for you to see objectively what your work did for your aussie modeller colleagues especially. A falcon, our car from our childhoods coming alive in front of us. We weren't amazed by the perfection of your build, although Shawn it is phenomenal, it was that it was possible. Aussies cars are very limited, through our own limited modelling market, and so examples are limited to short run resin kits, or the odd cross over - Aoshima Mad Max Ford kit example.

But you brought it to a whole new space, that it was possible to make our own, and kind of tell the bigger manufacturers to stick it. Shoey does it as well, and makes a fine fist of it, until some numb nuts tries to knock off his work and make it his own. But dickheads who are greedy bastards and ruin it for others aside, guys like you and Shoey, you gave me and a few others around here hope that one day we could have our own version of a childhood memory on the shelf. It was also that you shared, so it wasn't so much of a mystery, and you showed us when it didn't work as well, and all the time, amazing us with your skill.

So if you pick up one of your copies and have a go, or find something to inspire you to go back, or buy a $20 kit off ebay and just build, know that your effort on this and other modelling websites is a gift that hopefully many will gain inspiration from and take it to the next level.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

codea
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Sat 01 Apr 2017, 1:44 pm

Thanks for your support, I appreciate and I am thankful for it.

News for all-

Work has begun on the third body and is going well, there will be some changes but they will only be to the spec of the car and nothing too extensive. As it will probably be the first of the 3 Falcons finished I don't want it to de-value the work that has been done to the other 2 and the plan will be to keep it to minimal extra detail just basically OOB (if you can have OOB from something that is 99% scratchbuilt). So it will compliment the other two in a way that the current build will be basic, the second build (the beige one) will be extra detail and the third will be the super detail version.

I am still not completely in the zone and recent troubles with my dodgy back have left me with trouble sitting upright for long periods of time but I'm making sure that each time I pick up the tools that I am getting something done each session. I am hoping to get the body painted before the weather turns completely to shit otherwise I'll be back to square one.

Stay tuned,
Thanks again,
CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Sat 01 Apr 2017, 4:59 pm

Was wondering what happen to this one. Will watch for up dates, Take care of your back too.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Wed 05 Apr 2017, 9:46 pm

Don't force it.
Pack it all up and walk away if you have to but don't force it.  It's a hobby and should be enjoyable.  If it's not then you need to stop until you want to start again.
Just don't get rid of all your stuff.  Keep it somewhere you can get to it when you feel your mojo again.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Sun 28 May 2017, 5:47 pm

Hi guys.

Well ever since I announced my intentions to start the 3rd body I have actually been working fairly steadily on not just that but I have also used the opportunity to kick the beige Falcon back into life. I guess you could say the plan to bust my slump worked a treat. For the 3rd body I had many options to choose from, should I build a street machine? should I do a drag car? a taxi? a police car? nope all of those things are too exciting for me so I chose to do it in the most basic spec I could do- a plain white GL.  Here's some pics.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 8m3Irt
Since I was masking and painting anyway I decided to finally polish the body and paint the blackouts on the beige one too after several years in the cupboard.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 8jg43O
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 RIPvCY
and the bumpers too.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 U0obD3

To move the white GL a little bit further away from the two S Pack versions I decided to do a front bench seat. It's made from about 75,742 individual pieces of evergreen styrene so it took a while before I figured out how to do it right.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 7uysAx
and put the base model upholstery style on the rear seat.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 QSszPb
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 BvVhix
I needed to make a GL steel wheel too
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 T97J5u
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 D5jApR
and cast some in resin.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 FidED9
After the bodies received the blackout treatment how could I not have a play with some mock ups. I used the completed S Pack wheels and interior for the white one as the new wheels had not yet been cast and the interior isn't ready.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 GFXeCQ
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 ML5iTo
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 TXmftV
The ride height needs a tweak but the beige car is looking good too.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 YOPjQR
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 N6YCyU

There is still a bit of work to do on both bodies with some BMF for the trims around the outside of the windows and more blackout treatment around the window frames, door handles and the lower lip of the beige cars airdam. I haven't decided 100% about the interior colour of the GL yet but it will most likely be the horrendous red-brown that was one of a few options at the time.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 9dlwnT

From the start of this project in 2011 I was always concerned about the look of the body and even though I did do a mock black out treatment a few years ago I always felt that it wasn't until the body was painted and everything was blacked out properly that the true look of the body would show and I am actually stoked about how it looks ( it sounds silly I know) and it has re-ignited my need to get this project finished.

That's it for now
Thanks for your encouragement and support.

CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 Sun 28 May 2017, 5:54 pm

greatwork greatwork greatwork Those are looking real nice. Keep at it.
mgy125
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1679
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Mon 29 May 2017, 11:35 am

Looks fantastic, that Beige mock up with the trailer looks amazing.
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Mon 29 May 2017, 6:12 pm

Brilliant. Nothing else sums it up!
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadly Mon 29 May 2017, 6:43 pm

iagree iagree iagree iagree
Deadly
Deadly
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Mon 29 May 2017, 6:48 pm

Worth the wait for me... STUNNING !!!
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by oddvar olsen Tue 06 Jun 2017, 7:15 am

Hi Shawn
good to see you in building mode again
This cars look´s awesome.
I dont find the correct words how impress I am of your building.
I will send you an PM so please check.
We are also a group of model builders in Norway who have our own fb page, you are welcome to like our page.
https://www.facebook.com/Team-Østlandet-Modellbil-Lastebil-og-MC-405898642937561/

Brgds
Oddvar

oddvar olsen
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ozmodeler Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:40 pm

The mock-ups look great. Are those "sheepskin " seat covers ? wow ! I can almost smell them.
ozmodeler
ozmodeler

Male Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2012-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:28 pm

Hi guys,
I've made some further progress on the white Falcon. As it is a practice build for the other two I needed to figure out how I was going to go about doing the rough texture that the 1:1 cars had on the underside of the chassis. Originally I was going to apply a textured paste that I bought a couple of years ago but after a trial run with that paste I found it fairly unforgiving and too much trouble so I decided to use some Tamiya liquid primer. I found some old brushes lying around and I trimmed the bristles to make the brushes a bit stiffer.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 XTigDp
After some testing on an old chassis I developed a technique and was happy with how it came out. I also practiced some weathering on that same piece.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 Pn65rv
The next task was to mask off the areas that I didn't want texture on.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 5o9SrQ
If you want a product to avoid I would recommend avoiding Microscale's masking liquid like the plague. This stuff sticks like shit on a blanket and is very hard to remove.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 SZRtIc
I used a repeated dabbing (stippling) motion to get the coverage that I was happy with, it looks coarse but remember it's a close up picture.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 UGDD3A
After the masking was eventually removed.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 FP2b9s
I then painted the front chassis rails white (the body colour) and when that was dry I masked them off and painted the tank and diff semi gloss black then I masked those off and painted the rest flat black. The only thing that I forgot to do was take photos so use your imagination please. After the painting was sorted I then started the weathering process.  I used some of the stuff that I bought when I weathered the trailer a couple of years ago.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 CS0GzL
These pics show the initial weathering, the brown shows up more in the pictures than it does in real life. I was aiming for the look of a low to medium kilometres, dry climate car so no massive oil stains or clumps of mud.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 LnIyvT
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 HZmqYj
I added the exhaust, driveshaft, watts link, front sway bar and steering arms and gave them the treatment too. I tried several times to get some weathering on the exhaust but it wouldn't take. It's not heavily glued so I might take it off and hit it with some flat clear to see if the dust sticks to it then.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 OBtNhl
Some pics with natural light to get a better idea of what it looks like.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 LU2Cqo
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 WQyber
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 P4Rmh2
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 BihU4A
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 3zVZa3
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 WPxucE

The interior has been painted brown. I tried to give the seats some depth with a wash of darker brown but I'm still not sure about the look.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 3HGIhj
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 C2gF50

The wheel backs are also weathered.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 AmJwEI
The wheels are also complete.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 27MLg0
The blackouts on the wheels and the silver centre on the hubs are decals.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 236Rrv

A little more interior work to do and then final assembly. Hopefully not too far away now.

Thanks,
CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:42 pm

That is some very impressive techniques there mate, NICE !!!!
The only thing i can see wrong, is being a Ford, there is no where near enough RUST under there !!! Laughing
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm

WOW been awhile since I looked at this, Great work on them both.
One of my jobs as a car detailer was to book these into stock there were two white colours Stark White & Snow white. The Stark was used on Fairlanes.
There was a Falcon in Cessnock years ago painted Monza red with Snow white roof.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Mon 15 Jan 2018, 3:37 pm

Check out the showroom for my first completed XE Falcon build.

Cheers SS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 15 Jan 2018, 6:54 pm

Ya just picked my jaw up off the floor.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Wed 27 Feb 2019, 8:13 pm

Hi guys,
I have managed to make some serious progress on the second XE build- the first of the S Packs. I have finished the underside and only have the decals and final assembly left on the body. I'm only finding a few hours a week to build at the moment so progress on all of my current projects is slow.
Here is the chassis plate with extra detail and weathering.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 36 XxdrQ2

I guess if all goes to plan, I'll be back in a few days with pics of the finished model.

CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Thu 28 Feb 2019, 8:27 am

Look's good bigthumbsup
Had a XD Falcon sedan biggest mistake selling it and buying a HZ Holden wagon, wife still P----off at me selling it.

Have you any plans to do a ute,wagon or van.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Thu 28 Feb 2019, 7:51 pm

Nice work indeed👍
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Thu 28 Feb 2019, 8:42 pm

allan wrote:

Have you any plans to do a ute,wagon or van.

Thanks, Yes Allan I have plans - lots of plans, just not enough time. If I found the time I would do the XF ute first. Unfortunately it would require a whole new body as there would be way too much work to convert the sedan to a ute. I'll give it a go one day.

CheerSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by ozmodeler Mon 04 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

After such an epic build, I'd love to see another Aussie classic. The XF ute ticks a lot of boxes.
cheers
ozmodeler
ozmodeler

Male Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2012-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Thu 07 Mar 2019, 8:25 pm

ozmodeler wrote:After such an epic build, I'd love to see another Aussie classic. The XF ute ticks a lot of boxes.
 cheers

Yeah it will most likely be done sooner than later.

Ok, for those who want to see a finished S-Pack please head over to the showroom for the world debut of the XE Falcon S-Pack model car.

CheerSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36