AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PICS Model Expo 2011

+11
Shunter
big bad kustom
ProBee
Carps
zenrat
mopar68
Kane
checkmate
scummy
doorslammerfan
tezza43
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PICS Model Expo 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: PICS Model Expo 2011

Post by scummy Tue 14 Jun 2011, 7:08 pm

Thanks tez , wettenalls used to be called wheels up transport in the mid to late 70's when i did interstate . They used to pickup 3-4 off the side of the road every month . Dont remember the single drive kenny being a w model they were S2 models , looks great anyway .
scummy
scummy
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://markharmer@bigpond.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:50 pm

Ya learn something new everyday, I didn't realize they changed there categories until just now.

CIVIL VEHICLES
Large including competition (1/19 & larger)
OPEN
Medium non-competition (1/20 to 1/31)
OOB
Medium Modified Stock (1/20 to 1/31)
MOD
Medium Modified Customised/Hot rods (1/20 to 1/31)
MOD
Medium Competition (1/20 - 1/31)
OPEN
Medium Kerbside (no engine detail) (1/20 - 1/31)
OPEN
Smaller including competition (1/32 & smaller)
OPEN

Certainly better than before, Maybe more "Car Guys" may make the effort next year!

...maybe a name change to "Automotive" or change Military to "Non-Civilian"........................ rolf
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4564
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

Shunter wrote:Bryce bummer about the flu, i feel i am getting something now myself so i know how you are feeling. Good point about the term used for the classes, most likely time for the representative to put forward a name change to say something more suitable. Anyone got ideas?

I had already made this point to the Model Expo committee last year and in fact, the wording was changed to cars. Unfortunately something went wrong in the process? If you download the Model Expo Handbook at http://www.modelexpo.com.au/downloads/pdf/ME_Handbook%202011web.pdf you will see the group is named Automotive Vehicles (not Civilian) and the categories begin with Cars, Trucks, or Motorcycles. Hopefully this glitch will be fixed for next year's event.

As some of you already know I successfully argued for changes to the car categories, as per AMCC suggestions, but it still hasn't made much difference in entry numbers. This may result in the current car categories being grouped into lesser ones or it may not, but in either case the cars categories will remain because they are an integral part of the art of scale modelling.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, Model Expo is a showcase for all types of models, not just cars. A show of this magnitude brings in over 3,000 visitors who want to see as many different models as possible. As such it is a huge publicity exercise for all people connected with the hobby (including traders) and brings awareness to the general public. Awareness generates sales and that keeps the industry viable for everyone. Model Expo may not suit everybody but it's value to the future of plastic scale modelling shouldn't be underestimated.

It would be great to see a whole heap of model cars entered at next year's show, if only to show that car modellers have a loud voice.

aus
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:57 am

I'd like to see the judges score cards displayed alongside each model instead of being folded out od sight or tucked under it.
But maybe entrants wouldn't like the masses seeing what the judges thought?
I don't enter because it means 2 trips. One on Friday or Saturday to enter and then one on Monday to collect. I know it's not far but I always seem to end up doing a lot of other stuff on PH weekends and it'd cause problems.
One day shows are much easier to schedule in.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

Fred those cards next to the models are not the score cards. They only briefly indicate to the entrant which area he was strong or weak on, and are represented by ticking boxes that cover areas of construction, finish, and so on. The real score sheets are totally separate and far more elaborate, using a set points scoring system. They are never shown to the public but the entrant can request to see his score sheet if he wishes.

If you would like me to enter models on your behalf I can do that for you, and bring them home again. Let me know next year.

aus
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm

tezza43 wrote:
big bad kustom wrote:I can see the door edge plastic where the paint thinned out . Would have been avoided with a light coat of matt white , so that that the colour would have had something to grab onto.
The gloss finish is awesome ! Is it a spray can enamel sprayed on dangerously wet?? I,ve tried it with White Knight enamel spray and its easy to load up the paint too much = paint run.
Cheers Ron

I spoke to a chap who built another entry in the same category, and he is a friend of the builder. He told me it was clear gloss acrylic sprayed over the thin paint colour. As far as he knew it was not polished afterwards.

aus
This car in question was built by an aircraft builder, it was his first ever car.
Tamiya Clear Blue straight onto the body. I don't believe it had a clear on it and no polish.
Kane
Kane
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1505
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:24 am

That explains why the paint didn't fully cover the edges Kane. Tamiya gloss transparent colours need paint under them for better grip and coverage. Thanks for that information, and it was a great first time effort by the builder. I hope to see more car models from Andrew.

aus

Last edited by tezza43 on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by sheriff319 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:53 pm

tezza43 wrote:
big bad kustom wrote:I can see the door edge plastic where the paint thinned out . Would have been avoided with a light coat of matt white , so that that the colour would have had something to grab onto.
The gloss finish is awesome ! Is it a spray can enamel sprayed on dangerously wet?? I,ve tried it with White Knight enamel spray and its easy to load up the paint too much = paint run.
Cheers Ron

I spoke to a chap who built another entry in the same category, and he is a friend of the builder. He told me it was clear gloss acrylic sprayed over the thin paint colour. As far as he knew it was not polished afterwards.

aus

Hi guys, I'm the one you spoke to. The truck is a mates, who build armour and figures, and as a bit of a gee up, decided to build an entry against me. The paint is clear blue, built up over layer after layer. Not a bad effort for a bloke who doesn't build cars. ( i still beat him though0 Very Happy

sheriff319
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by modelmaker Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

Looks like a good turn out of Autos , wish I could have been there ! Were entries up this year on last ?

Sean

modelmaker
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-03-28

http://public.fotki.com/modelmaker/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down