AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rat Rod Custom paint help

+3
TuffXR
Tubman
Argosy620
7 posters

Go down

Rat Rod Custom paint help Empty Rat Rod Custom paint help

Post by Argosy620 Thu 11 Feb 2010, 7:16 pm

Hi Guys
Rat Rod Custom paint help IMG_0813
I have been asked to build this truck with it custom paint job, which is Matt black all I can see is problems, by this I mean, the red and gold stripe is gloss finish, and the rest is Matt Black, so my question would be, what would be the best way to paint this, eg, would you be better to air brush the red and gold then clear it all, then mask off and paint the Matt black on top? how would I protect the matt black, (being not a smooth finish like a gloss)
or produce a decal and clear than the re spray the matt and clear it with a semi gloss clear and polish out the decal so as it picks up the gloss clear under the semi gloss?

Or do you have a better way of doing it???
Would be greatfull for any help
Thanks

Argosy620
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-02-02

http://loadedheavy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Back to top Go down

Rat Rod Custom paint help Empty Re: Rat Rod Custom paint help

Post by Tubman Thu 11 Feb 2010, 7:49 pm

I'd spray the red and with the clear then mask up and spray your black. The black won't need any protection. That's how I would do it, someone may have a better way.
That's how I did this one below.
Rat Rod Custom paint help 100_0193
Rat Rod Custom paint help 100_0196
Tubman
Tubman
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by TuffXR Thu 11 Feb 2010, 7:56 pm

You will find that that is not actually a flat paint. It will be a clear coat with a flattening agent, if it was just a flat paint it would some show signs of turning to powder.

How ever i would do it the same way as tub man.
TuffXR
TuffXR
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by boothy Thu 11 Feb 2010, 9:32 pm

well from just looking at the photo id say the hole job has been done in flat with a semi gloss flat agent clear i have seen it done on cars before and gives the same affect (shine on edges but flat in midle) how to do this im not sure but if u look carfully you will notice no reflection on graphic as it is allso a flat colour
well thats in the photo anyways
boothy
boothy
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2010-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by tjjr07 Thu 11 Feb 2010, 10:26 pm

im with tubman on this 1, lay down ur colour 1st then add the matt finish. im pretty sure u can buy a satin clear but i honestly wouldnt no were to get nor have i used it. thats a hot lookin W model btw and i hope u build it real soon.
tjjr07
tjjr07
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 796
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Fri 12 Feb 2010, 8:26 am

Testors Model Master make a clear satin spray in a can that should do the trick. Take a look here http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1959.htm

Also try Krylon clear satin finish - that works OK too. It looks like the red flash is also dull, not gloss?

Is it me or is that truck lower than normal?

aus
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Fri 12 Feb 2010, 10:10 pm

rekon the stripes are flat too , pretty sure tamiya do a satin clear, that truck is definately low front bumper is restin on the ground, suspect is has airbags
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5646
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Argosy620 Sat 13 Feb 2010, 7:45 am

boothy wrote:well from just looking at the photo id say the hole job has been done in flat with a semi gloss flat agent clear i have seen it done on cars before and gives the same affect (shine on edges but flat in midle) how to do this im not sure but if u look carfully you will notice no reflection on graphic as it is allso a flat colour
well thats in the photo anyways

Thanks for the tip on the reflection, I hadn't picked that up yet, was looking at the big picture and not the smaller one...

tubman wrote:I'd spray the red and with the clear then mask up and spray your black. The black won't need any protection. That's how I would do it, someone may have a better way.

This is the way that I had thought of doing it, this seemed to be the most logical way to do it, but if the whole truck is semi gloss clear, then I could paint it, and then semi gloss clear the whole truck to give the same effect

olor=#73ea8b]tjjr07"] thats a hot lookin W model btw and i hope u build it real soon.[/quote]

I have started to build it in 1/16th scale, using a W model kit, so far I have only cut down the bonnet and sleeper, as well as drawn up a plan of attack will post some pic's in the truck section soon

Tezza43 wrote:Is it me or is that truck lower than normal?

Yes it is low, in fact they dropped it 16inches lower than standard, the pic shows it in parked position, but when driving it raises 5 inches, still low, but cool, also has Airbags fitted to the front springs
and runs airbags on the rear, with hanger mods to them

Here is a better pic of the strip work and yes would agree it is semi gloss finish over all

Rat Rod Custom paint help IMG_0785

Thanks Guys for all the help on the paint,I think I will do a few test samples before I comit it to the truck, no doubt I may have a few more questions later on

Argosy620
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-02-02

http://loadedheavy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down