AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

clear coat

5 posters

Go down

clear coat Empty clear coat

Post by Johno Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:03 am

Hey boys, need a bit of advice re clear coat
I just clear coated a body im building and the clear has gone cloudy, i use duplicolour rattle cans for all my work and hasnt happened before, i heated the can before spraying and gave it a good shake, im on the nsw sth coast and the temp in the shed was about 13 degress, could that be the problem, being to cold, and if so can i rub the clear coat out or wats a good fix ?
Cheers johno
Johno
Johno
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

clear coat Empty Re: clear coat

Post by DeeCee Sat 18 Jun 2016, 4:31 pm

Lightly block it, and re shoot a bit more clear, i have had this happen when it was cold and i put it on too thick.
I now have one of those big 100watt spot lamps in my booth, if it looks a bit cloudy, i hold the
model under the light, and it clears up instantly..
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:53 pm

Acrylic Clear and even solid colour dose that when its cold and or you lay it on to thick and wet, if your really lucky it will clear up, its best to wait until its warm and sunny, I spray it out side in the sun, you shouldn't have to worry to much about anything getting in the paint as it dries pretty fast, doing it in the sun works well and you can lay it on a little thicker so it slicks off nice and smooth. I don't think warming the can will do anything, that mainly works with Enamels.
Morrie
Morrie

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:22 am

DeeCee wrote:Lightly block it, and re shoot a bit more clear, i have had this happen when it was cold and i put it on too thick.
I now have one of those big 100watt spot lamps in my booth, if it looks a bit cloudy, i hold the
model under the light, and it clears up instantly..
Thanks DeeCee, i will try blocking it out,  it was my own fault as id had this body preped for a while and got to anxious to get it onto the shelf, a real doh ! moment for me,  havent had much time at the bench lately so was getting  overly excited to finish
Thanks again for the advice bro, cheers Wayne
Johno
Johno

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:28 am

Morrie wrote:Acrylic Clear and even solid colour dose that when its cold and or you lay it on to thick and wet, if your really lucky it will clear up, its best to wait until its warm and sunny, I spray it out side in the sun, you shouldn't  have to worry to much about anything getting in the paint as it dries pretty fast, doing it in the sun works well and you can lay it on a little thicker so it slicks off nice and smooth. I don't think warming the can will do anything, that mainly works with Enamels.
Thanks Morrie,  as i said i got overly excited to finish,  i always warm my rattle cans before use, i think i read on here somewhere that it makes the paint flow smoother and more even, anyway i usually have no trouble with them but got to pushy and paid the price, lol
thanks for your advice bro, cheers Wayne
Johno
Johno

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:30 pm

Just to wade in here a little guys. I work as a rep selling automotive finishes to the crash trade and I can tell you that most paint companies do recommend warming your paint (and clear) in cold weather. Some crash shops in colder areas use a Bain Marie (Food Warmer) to heat up their clears before spraying. (Sorry Morrie). Also, like Dale does, warm your spray area if possible and the piece being sprayed. I have warmed all paints (Enamel & Acrylic) for years during winter and it stops the clouding issue everytime, plus helps the topcoats flow out to achieve better gloss.
Good luck with future painting.
Antwon
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Sun 19 Jun 2016, 6:13 pm

Thanks Antwon, good to know im on the right track, cheers
Johno
Johno

Back to top Go down

Post by Tubman Sun 19 Jun 2016, 8:23 pm

I use a warmed spray box as well. Used to spray auto acrylic in the middle of winter in Canberra, never a problem. I just have a down light in mine and can have the model as close as a couple of inches. It's warm but not hot so won't meld your models.
Tubman
Tubman
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down