AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamiya Flat Clear

4 posters

Go down

Tamiya Flat Clear Empty Tamiya Flat Clear

Post by slowlylearning Thu 16 May 2013, 7:31 pm

Picked up a can of Tamiya Flat Clear, and a Racing White spray can... anybody got any tips? I got these cans to do an interior, the flat clear is to take away the sheen of the white... hopefully.

Sorry if theres already a topic on this Mad

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Tamiya Flat Clear Empty Re: Tamiya Flat Clear

Post by harley fan Thu 16 May 2013, 9:10 pm

slowlylearning wrote:Picked up a can of Tamiya Flat Clear, and a Racing White spray can... anybody got any tips? I got these cans to do an interior, the flat clear is to take away the sheen of the white... hopefully.

Sorry if theres already a topic on this Mad
not sure if you are aware or it may be what you are looking for mate but tamiya racing white is more of an ivory white, not sure about the matt totally taking away the shine though, have tried the same thing using humbrol paints and got more of a semi gloss look, good luck

harley fan
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Thu 16 May 2013, 9:30 pm

Semi gloss is what you want for interiors anyway IMO.
I use a satin clear from Bunnings myself.
Just paint it all with the white "in the usual way" and then clear it with the clear.
If you are going to do any washes* then do them after the clear. If needed you can always clear again over the top of them.
If you have any chrome trim then paint or foil that after you've finished clearing or you'll have flat door handles & window winders.

*On white seats a very very very very light wash will bring out the detail of the seats and a second coat will make it look like someone's grubby bum has been sitting on the seat. If you really want to be pedantic the driver's seat should be grubbiest, then the passenger's and then the rears.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Fri 17 May 2013, 12:41 pm

not sure if you are aware or it may be what you are looking for mate but tamiya racing white is more of an ivory white, not sure about the matt totally taking away the shine though, have tried the same thing using humbrol paints and got more of a semi gloss look, good luck
Yeah, I was looking for a bit of an off-white, I just go by the darkness of it, It comes out of the can a creamy sort of colour.... but Im a little bit colourblind Razz

Just paint it all with the white "in the usual way" and then clear it with the clear.
If you are going to do any washes* then do them after the clear. If needed you can always clear again over the top of them.
If you have any chrome trim then paint or foil that after you've finished clearing or you'll have flat door handles & window winders.

Thanks for the info Mr Zen Very Happy Ill have to look in Bunnings for thier satin clear, Im assuming itll be less pricey than tamiya cans aye. As for washes, I hadent even thought of doing one, I wouldnt even know what to wash it with, the only thing Iv ever done it on is grills, and thats been with that Tamiya Smoke colour. Ta for the BMF info too, that was gunna be my next question Very Happy

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Fri 17 May 2013, 4:45 pm

https://ozautobuilders.forumotion.com/t5557-forgotten-fairlane?highlight=forgotten+fairlane

I used the Tamiya flat clear on this one. Gives a great effect for weathering, oxidised paint, etc. DO NOT use it over decals. Use a gloss clear first, then flat clear
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat Fri 17 May 2013, 11:23 pm

White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic is what I use.
Satin or Gloss in a big size rattle can.

For washing the seats mix some smoke with some clear and then thin it with thinners. You want it to be almost clear if you are going to put it on white seats - like you dipped a dirty brush into your clear.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6842
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down