AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options"

+28
Bill Page
Rocketscout
blakey
spiritman
Mustang_67
doorslammerfan
allan
sports850
slowlylearning
Shoey
HAMMOSZED
stevegt738
Andy
OZBUILDER
Rocket
zenrat
truges
TomA
ashb
Tony
tjjr07
Tubman
Kane
Bryce
tezza43
Bear
Paul
stump
32 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Empty 1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options"

Post by stump Sun 22 Feb 2009, 9:56 pm

Hey guys, sorry it's been a while..... mybad
I'm giving the smaller stuff a break for a while......eyes aint as good as they used to be..... Crying or Very sad May get back into them one day, but uncertain at this stage....

I've stepped up to one of my 1/12 builds. Actually only got this recently, but it's been on my "want" list for years.....
Finally found one on ebay UK which was at a price agreeable to my wallet..... Very Happy
It will be a long build, sorry bout that, but I want to get it right...
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" 112240ZG001-vi

The difference in size is huge and will be open slather for detailing.....hmmm, should be fun.
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" 112240ZG003-vi

First on the agenda, I knew what wheels it needed to have. Watanabe's are an obvious choice amongst owners of 1:1 240's, so I scoured the hobby shops looking
for a suitable doner......Nothing !.....There are some really nice 1/10 items around, but they'd look like 22's on this...... puke
So, off to the design den.
This is what I come up with...
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Watanabe007-vi

After some mocking up and test fitting, I got the widths right, they will be 16x8.5 and 16x9.5's with 225/45VR16 and 245/45VR16's..
I'm going to have to make my own tyres as well, and that task has started.....wish me luck there.... Laughing Wink
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Newwheel-vi

The group pic shows the same centre with the two different outer rims. I'll cast them up along with the tyres.
Also got a start on the suspension. Going with a TEIN look....Yhey look a little light (colour) but thay'll do me.....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Watanabestrut002-vi

That's it for now....stay tuned here.....
Thanks for dropping by.
cheers
Greg
stump
stump
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://public.fotki.com/Greg5000/

Back to top Go down

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Empty Re: 1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options"

Post by Paul Mon 23 Feb 2009, 11:04 am

If this turns out half as good as your 1/25th builds it will be awesome............... popcorn
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4564
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Empty Re: 1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options"

Post by stump Sun 08 Mar 2009, 2:33 pm

Thanks Paul, it's been fun so far.... Wink

Ok, now that the wheels are getting close, thought I'd better turn my attention to the tyres.... topgear

The first pic shows what options I had to work with....
Bottom left = stock wheel/tyre, bottom right = Tamiya "spare parts" wheel/kit tyre, and top, what I made....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Wheeltyre001-vi

Close up of my work...yeah, still very rough. I've made an adapter from an old rim so I could mount it in my dremmel (cheap imitation...) to true it up.
I've also lashed on some putty since this morning and it's looking heaps better.... Smile
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Wheeltyre003-vi

I've also left it hollow at this stage...I'll pop a set, see if they hold the weight of the kit...if they don't, I'll make them solid. Wink
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Wheeltyre005-vi

More soon......
cheers
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sun 08 Mar 2009, 8:47 pm

That's a Mammoth effort Greg, can't wait to see the end result!!
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Sun 08 Mar 2009, 9:15 pm

More thanks Paul.. Thanks
Spent the day sorting the tyre....I made an adapter from an old rim to mount the tyre on my dremmel (cheap copy...), to make trueing the tyre easier..
It also showed me that when gluing the sidewalls to the tread, I let one of the sidewalls move........DOH ! doh
No matter, I'll re-do that side......
Here it is, after putty and smoothing...still needs more......It IS close to the front of fender on lock (hits) but as you can see, the fender lip can be thinned... Wink
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Wheeltyretest1001-vi

Stock ride height....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Wheeltyretest1002-vi

Lower ride height.....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Wheeltyretest1004-vi

I'll hope to get it a tad lower...this just gives an indication of where I'm going with it..... Wink
Progress may be tracked here.......
Thanks for dropping by..
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Mon 09 Mar 2009, 12:41 am

Very impressive work Greg, there's a fair bit of commitment there Cool
Bear
Bear

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Sat 14 Mar 2009, 7:44 am

Thanks Bear. Very Happy
Commitment...well, yes..I guess so. Wink
I just know I want to do a good a job as I'm physically able to on this one....
I love adding detail...and being 1/12 will make that part easier...
The downside I guess, because it is all bigger, it will be more visible....so needs to be accurate.

That's why I don't want to rush it... :|

I'm also in negotiation with a "caster" of resin at present.....see what comes of it.
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Sat 14 Mar 2009, 8:36 pm

Nice work Stump. If the wheels are anything to go by, this will be a ripper model.
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Mon 16 Mar 2009, 5:28 pm

Thanks again Tezza.. Very Happy
I'm really hoping I can make a neat kit out of it....It's a great kit straight from the box.. Wink

Spent a good deal of the weekend filling, smoothing and sanding the tyre....got it looking pretty good.
Also fixed my sidewall which had moved during getting glued... Mad ..Both rim halves fit perfect now.... cheers

I then set myself down, grabbed a steady hand and started adding the tread blocks... :|
These tyres will loosely represent a TOYO tyre, of my own design..."any similarity between them and any 1:1 tyre
is purely coincidental"..... aus
The Toyo logo is made from .005 sheet for the T and the Y, the two O's are sliced from tube...
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Tread001-vi

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Tread003-vi

I hope to get this one completed through this week.....see how we go with that. Rolling Eyes
cheers guys
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce Tue 17 Mar 2009, 9:26 pm

wow

Making your own tyres - clearly you have waaaay too much time on your hands!
Bryce
Bryce

Male Number of posts : 3329
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Wed 18 Mar 2009, 6:22 pm

Bryce wrote:
Making your own tyres - clearly you have waaaay too much time on your hands!

Laughing Thanks Bryce....Well, not enough actually...that's why it takes me sooooooo long.. Wink
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Sun 22 Mar 2009, 7:57 pm

Small update.....

Well, the tread is now complete.....finished it up bout half hour ago.....I need sleep.... Shocked Laughing
I took these pics earlier today, before I had all the tread in place. I also added some colour coats, just so it's easier to
see where I'm at.....hope it helps..
Wink

Tire
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Tread2005-vi

Checking ride height and turn ability...
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Tread2009-vi

And forward....It still needs some trimming to clear every where, but that's no biggie....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Tread2011-vi

I'll give the new tread time to setup, and give it a sand and prime tomorrow arvo....
More soon......
cheers
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sun 22 Mar 2009, 8:01 pm

Sweet, BTW are you getting these cast?
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Sun 22 Mar 2009, 8:11 pm

Paul wrote:Sweet, BTW are you getting these cast?

bigthumbsup
Looking into it as we speak Paul....... Wink
I have a good bit of interest already......which is good, I guess.....I just need to get them to a castable stage before interest dies off..... Laughing
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Wed 08 Apr 2009, 7:24 pm

Well, things are progressing here..... Very Happy
The front tyre is complete. Work has begun on the rear, but as it will be the same, only a bit larger, no need to bore you with pics of it....
Front tyre...
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Tread2a001-vi

Also decided where I wanted to go with the zorst system...I knew I didn't want it stock.....maybe the next one I do will be stock.
Motor options have been plentiful too...from a turbo RB26, turbo L24, fuel injected L24....L24 with triple webers/solex's.....even an LS1 was in the works for a while....
Anyways, looks like injection is getting the nod....I have a bank of injection tubes (6) thanks to an old Ferrari kit...I'll make a manifold to adapt them.
The exhaust started with headers.....these were initially going to be plastic 3mm rod, but after painstakingly bending and gluing 3 pipes to a flange I had made, test fitting
into engine bay...it became obvious my bends were no where near tight enough....I had no where to run the other 3 pipes.....
pale

So, off to the hardware store, returning with a roll of 3.2mm solder.....I was able to make tighter bends, it was easier to work with and correct, if a wrong bend is made....
And this is what I ended up with. The 3-pipe collectors are also ex-Ferrari......These will bolt to the head when all finished.
Hearders......
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Headers001-vi

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Headerssystem001-vi

At the tail end of these, I made up a 2-bolt flange (2 piece) to locate the rest of the system, which incorporates a home made "hotdog" muffler, complete with
hand made "U"-bolts ( I need to make a second yet...) The rear "stock" muffler has subtle mods in new end plates, to accept larger dia. pipe.
Mufflers....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Headerssystem007-vi

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Headerssystem008-vi

1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Headerssystem014-vi

The last couple of evenings I have made a new section of pipe from hotdog to muffler. The first one was done freehand and wasn't acceptable...
I've also cut those horrible mounts off the muffler and will add a proper hanger to the chassis.
That's all for now guys, there are some extra pics at Fotki....
240ZG album.
cheers
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Wed 08 Apr 2009, 7:57 pm

This build just keeps getting better!! Nice work on the exhaust A+

Cant wait to see more popcorn
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kane Wed 08 Apr 2009, 10:43 pm

Wow, that's excellent work, the tyres have turned out great, and the exhausts are just sweet.
Kane
Kane
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1505
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tubman Thu 09 Apr 2009, 8:35 am

That's fully sick bro Shocked Are you going to take any models to the Brisvegas Hotrod show Greg? If so I won't bother, not much point, don't fancy getting blown out of the water rolf Nah, I'll be there with hopefully a couple of cars, first time I've actually got something ready.
Tubman
Tubman
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Thu 09 Apr 2009, 12:12 pm

Fantastic workmanship Stump - this is one model that's going to be worth watching as it progresses.

happydance
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Thu 09 Apr 2009, 6:52 pm

Thanks guys... Very Happy
I'm pleased you are liking it as much as me.....I'm having a ball....actually enjoying it more than I've enjoyed building the last couple of years...
Think I may have to get another too....gonna need a "stockie" to sit next to it on the shelf......least that's how I'll justify it....
Laughing

Thanks Kirk.. Laughing Mate, you'll be safe...promise......Hot Rod Show...when is that ?? May ??....I'll probably hold off and just do Expo in August.
That'll be my best chance of getting this done.....mmmmmmmmmaybe...........
I'm just heading into an 8-day break from work, don't go back till the 20th.....so I hope to get a fair bit done on this baby......all I need is fine weather
but I don't see it coming.......oh well, see what happens.

Many thanks again guys....hang in there.
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by tjjr07 Thu 09 Apr 2009, 7:07 pm

stump, this is unbelievable. the effort ur putting in is nothing shy of incredible. il be watching for updates, cant wait to see more bud!!!
tjjr07
tjjr07
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Fri 10 Apr 2009, 4:45 pm

Thanks TJ.... Wink
Hope to get an update for ya's over the next day or two.....
Work today has seen the final configuration for the zorst..re-bent the rear pipe, made it line up with the hotdog....
Also tackled some more slight body mods. They won't be overly visual things, less you look real hard, and know
how it all goes together....
Idea
I got the idea from a mate in Bris, thanks Dan..I'm modifying the radiator support assembly and the firewall...
making them one piece each, not as they are molded, with half of each formed with the body....
Rolling Eyes
The open channels of the front chassis rails have also received some flat sheet stock to box them up...
I have the G-nose all together and awaiting attachment to the body...I'll wait till I have the rad panel all fixed first..
Pics to follow........
cheers
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Sat 11 Apr 2009, 3:25 pm

Greg, that is some nice work on those wheel's and tyre's I love the way they have turned out,if you are thinking of casting them let me know as I have a 1/12th 69 Camaro they would look sweet on.

By the way I still have not started on the nova you sent me at xmas but it is in the pipeline.

Regards Tony.
Tony
Tony
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by stump Sat 11 Apr 2009, 6:53 pm

Hey Tony, thanks mate.. Thanks
No worries man....I have a 69 they may be going on too.......I'll make some 15inch rims... Wink

Small update....
Ok, so the wheels/tyres are under control...the zorst is all sorted (including new rear pipe section..).......
Thought I'd do something about handling..............suspension time......
You may have already seen I've painted the struts in a green colour....TEIN wannabe's.......
Laughing
I also want a lowered stance.......These kits have rubber grommets at the top of each strut which just press fit into the chassis....
IF.....I leave them off, I save about 3-4mm......easy.....So, how do I attach the struts then....?...Glad you asked..
Twisted Evil
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Allsorts240zg002-vi

The chrome part protruding from the top is all but, covered by the grommet, so you can see...I will save a fair bit of height.....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Allsorts240zg003-vi

Re-shaped rear pipe for the muffler.......it all fits and lines up now.....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Allsorts240zg007-vi

And finally, just the open chassis rails, filled in......I've started on a new top section for the radiator support, make it look more 1:1
than was originally molded in kit form....it looked very generic...(and cheap....) A new top for the firewall is next....
1/12 Tamiya Datto 240ZG with "options" Allsorts240zg009-vi

That's it for now folks....I should get a good bit done over the next week, so stay put. Wink
cheers
Greg
stump
stump

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat 11 Apr 2009, 8:28 pm

Nice work on the struts!......... popcorn
Paul
Paul
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next