AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery

+5
RetrospectKustoms
DeeCee
Shoey
70cudatj
Morrie
9 posters

Go down

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery Empty It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery

Post by Morrie Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:45 pm

I finished my chopped 49 ford and I have been planning this one in my head for the last week so wanted to get it onto the operating table so I can plan my attack on the Ford kit.
I got 2 of these so I thought might as well cut the hell out of this one, not going to tell yous what's happening to it, just going to show photo's on the way.

This is the kit.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_15791_zpsfzpxbsfk

This about all the body parts I'm using out of the kit.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_15801_zpsazxhmir3

I cut the back bumper mounts of the back end of the chassis so the body sits over it, Now I need the green area gone so this is going to be my first job when I sit back at my table.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_15821_zpsoeg5bgpc
Morrie
Morrie
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Back to top Go down

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery Empty Re: It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery

Post by 70cudatj Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:52 pm

twothumbsup popcorn
70cudatj
70cudatj
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2059
Registration date : 2012-04-09

Back to top Go down

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery Empty Re: It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery

Post by Shoey Mon 11 Jul 2016, 11:02 pm

I hate suspense, I guess I'm gunna have to keep watching. Will it be a Van for Rob?
Shoey
Shoey
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Number of posts : 1395
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.championsbrockexperience.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Tue 12 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm

Shoey, I'm thinking of doing this one and other Van next so ill choose one for that build or use both.

I got into some dremel action today so this is how much I got done, hope it don't get boring, I got a few photo's.. lol..

First up I chopped the bottom off the body, real life scale is equal to about 5 1/2 inches gone. No going back now..

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 4_zpsx4eftlqv

Now the interior tub is too big and sticks out the bottom.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 5_zps5bw2cz3v

And the body sits way to high on the chassis.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 6_zpshokblkqb

So the interior tub needed the floor removed and sides cut down the same as the body.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 7_zpsztydwgnt

The chassis had all that horrid fake floor on it and I just wanted a skeleton frame so I attacked it with the dremel and removed it all.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 8_zpsef013ubv

The fuel tank and the rear diff cross member where in the way so they had to go as well.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 9_zpsabcmf4yc

The interior tub had to be tweaked to fit back on the chassis nice and flat, all good now.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 10_zpsvvsxlgpm

The body back on the chassis, sitting perfect nothing hanging out the bottom.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 11_zpsfqez7k8j

Suspension mock up to see what's next to do to get the ride height how I want it, sitting too high still.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 12_zpsnm6qalhw

Have to use a secondhand diff as it is the only one I have wide enough to let the wheels clear the body, also good to see how far the floor will have to be raised to get clearance.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 13_zps1dqmvp0x

Maybe not this low but close, definitely like the rims and tyres though.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 14_zpsgmvhnuox

Sorry about some of the photo's being a bit dodgy, just using my old tired IPhone, Prob try to do some more chassis work tomorrow and take progress photo's. Cheers.
Morrie
Morrie

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Tue 12 Jul 2016, 9:26 pm

Nothing wrong with lots of pics mate, i do the same too, the more we show, the more people learn,
and that means more people chopping kits up to make something different... Smile

That looks SICK!!!!!
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3772
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 70cudatj Tue 12 Jul 2016, 10:14 pm

iagree   Ummm yeah, that's nuts  twothumbsup
70cudatj
70cudatj
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms Wed 13 Jul 2016, 4:21 pm

Wow!! This looks great!
RetrospectKustoms
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2475
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Sat 16 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm

I got time do play with this one some more today seams its Saturday, cold and on the verge of raining all day.

I have been waiting to get my grill in the mail so I could work out how its going to sit in the chassis and also glued the engine halves together to see how much room its going to need under the floor.

This is my grill, looks pretty sweet, its a resin one from The Parts Box.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 15_zpsbsiwnzwf

I taped the engine in the chassis and had a hunt through my pile of parts for the perfect floor pan to graft into the interior tub.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 17_zpslsb8p2fp

All cut and fitted into the tub, plenty of clearance for the engine and gearbox now, this was a bit of a pain to get right as the 40 ford has a weird ass shape firewall.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 18_zps9enoozml

next up the rear of the chassis had to be changed to get the diff up into the body enough to get the thing to sit on its guts so these are the new chassis rails.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 19_zpsauntdsoq

glued in and blended into the chassis, I put side plates and cross members on next but not in this pic.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 20_zpsp4ri2eql

I didn't like the diff I was going to use so I customized another new one, it had to be wider so I chopped off the axle parts and drill throught the centre and inserted a piece of steel axle to slide the new longer sections over.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 21_zpshayqgjp2

New snections glued on, they were so long the didn't fit into the picture..lol..

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 22_zps1jlblgoy

new diff and chassis mocked up to see how much ground clearance I had, also had to remove the back half of the interior tub to make room for the chassis.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 26_zpsjxkc7b3n

With the body on to check it out and see where the floor will have to go now, also set the ride height, just taped some scrap styrene to the diff to get it right.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 23_zpsqyhzogdc

The ride height looks sweet, the front suspension is sitting good and the grill is where it will sit, the front bumper brackets where chopped off the front of the chassis at this stage to, nothing special with the front suspension so I didn't take a photo.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 25_zpsxkz9are6

Next up i made the new rear floor, just going to be flat seams its a panel van, not  going to be much head room in the back.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 27_zpskbvyfkfl

Not much work in the front seat just had to dremel it a bit to sit over the bigger transmission tunnel.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 28_zpscsyxuff1

Last job for today was filling in the where the rear guard went, just cut some styrene for the holes, will just cut new holes to fit pefect over the diff.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 29_zpspudkj3j4

should look slick with them bogged up and smoothed off.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery 30_zpswousxvhn

Ok that's what I got done today, next up I have to build the rear suspension, cut the holes in the body for the diff then I can start building the engine and painting everything. Thinking of just using one of the engines in the kit, the custom one looks pretty cool.

Thanks for looking.. Morrie.. Smile
Morrie
Morrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as Sun 17 Jul 2016, 9:55 am

Unreal build Morrie. Fairly certain if I cut a kit  up like this it would end up as a pile of rubbish on the bench. Learning heaps, just need a brave pill!!
Deaf as
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 70cudatj Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

Really good work Morrie, loving this chop up twothumbsup
70cudatj
70cudatj
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by rx3me Fri 22 Jul 2016, 4:13 pm

Love the look & were it's goin so far bigthumbsup popcorn
rx3me
rx3me

Male Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2013-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Fri 22 Jul 2016, 8:10 pm

Looking real cool mate..
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Sun 24 Jul 2016, 1:13 pm

I got most of the construction finished during the week between work and getting my Moto ready for re-rego.

Got a 4 link in the rear, I used parts from my parts box, didn't really want to scratch build it and the parts I found were perfect.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_1633_zpsnc6ubwis

Also got a the chassis finished with a couple more neater cross members.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0002_zpsikyir3y2

I'm using one of the front ends from the kit, but needed to remove the dodgy looking brakes and had to make it so I could put the wheels on so I didn't have to use the steel axle that runs right across the front, added a few little details too.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_1636_zpsdltragak

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_1637_zpscupaxi0w

Next I got a some wheel backs with the detail drum look in them, trimmed the edges so they will look like a proper drum brake.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_1639_zpscwxmoyvh

I then glued the front end into place and made up some shock mounts, might use these for headlight mounts too, not sure yet.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0001_zpseszg7zs4

Had to do some more work to the body like fill in the bonnet hinge holes, I just used some styrene.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0008_zpsem5kmx47

Also thought I would make the rear door 2 piece, the floor almost comes up to the top of the bottom of the door. also had to fill in the door handle hole, just used some styrene rod and filed it flat after I glued it in.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0004_zpsjxkxucow

The door needed to be mounted so I put stips of thin styrene on the back edge, If I just glued it in I might have lost to much of the gap around the tailgate, also cut the bottom of the door off to match it up with the body.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0006_zpsjstoj591

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0007_zpsxbxtky06

I didn't like how the high seat was sitting so I chopped the bottom off to lower it to the floor.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMG_1648_zpsbevzij5p

this was as low as it would go before the trans tunnel was coming through the seat, definitely sitting on the floor.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0003_zps2o1urf2s

Finally got the body into primer and the chassis finished and painted, I will do some more paint detail on the chassis but most going to be black.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0009_zpsijlzwjez

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0012_zpsisupjrwc

Ok the body has been painted but not sure if I will post that process until its almost finished and ready for the showroom section, unless you guys want to see the steps I took the paint it, give you a hint, It Ain't Shinny.
Morrie
Morrie

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:00 pm

A lot of great custom work there again Morrie, looks like you had a busy weekend mate.
That rear end looks sweet too, nice work, now get on to that paint job now you have mentioned it..... Razz
DeeCee
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Ol'55 Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:39 pm

Guys... humor me here. Ok I know cars look great when lowered, but in this case these things are that low, I've gotta ask... why even bother with wheels? and secondly, how the heck are these things gonna get over speed bumps etc.?.
Surely these cars can't be driven normally?... No I'm not having a "grizzle", it's just I can't get my head around these machines that are less than 5cm off the ground. Laughing
I'm open to all those who would like to explain this type of custom car to me. Please do not be offended if I choose not to listen... er sorry  read!rolf
Jerry Ol'55
Jerry Ol'55
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 639

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:50 pm

A lot of them have airbag suspension, lift it up to drive it around, drop it down when it's sitting still. I don't think any of them would be daily drivers more of an occational thing and car shows.

And this this one is made of plastic so I don't think it would run real good. Lol.
Morrie
Morrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Ol'55 Tue 26 Jul 2016, 11:12 pm

Morrie wrote:A lot of them have airbag suspension, lift it up to drive it around, drop it down when it's sitting still. I don't think any of them would be daily drivers more of an occational thing and car shows.

And this this one is made of plastic so I don't think it would run real good. Lol.

Thanks Morrie... I guess it's just the "Ol' fart" in me here not coming to grips with the "new style" of rods.
guess I'm used to lookin' under a car or rod and seeing someone's ankles (bobby socks or shoes).

'Spose that's why I'm "Ol' 55"...
Jerry Ol'55
Jerry Ol'55
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 639

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:52 pm

popcorn popcorn
Antwon
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie Thu 28 Jul 2016, 6:54 pm

ok got it all finished so I will show how I did the paint job, probably nothing new  but will show it anyway.

so I started with a black base, this is Tamiya flat black.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0013_zpsefy6j62h

Next step was to spray down the rust colour base over the black, didn't make to a solid colour over the rust colour as I wanted it to look uneven with some darker patches, I used life colour rust tones.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0020_zpsi4bwfuxe

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0014_zpswjxgoqtm

Next I put the lighter shade rust colour over the base, I just done random little bits every where and sprayed some patches through a thin scourer pad to get blotches. id don't stand out to much in the photo's.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0015_zpsseijagzw

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0016_zpst0vtuxe2

Next up was to wet the parts I wanted the rust to show through, I didn't want to do the full rust holes and rusted out look, I just wanted it to look like surface rust where the paint had wore off, I just used a paint brush to do small sections, then sprinkled salt onto the water, really pile it on where I didn't want any of the next colour to come through.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0017_zpscrufwmux

then layed on the bottom colour, only sprayed half way up as its going to be 2 toned. this is Tamiya flat white.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0018_zpsvybvocdd

I cleaned the salt off with a tooth brush then Taped up the bottom and did the salt on the top half of the shell. then sprayed the blue colour over the salt.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0019_zpsf7e5wmzt

wasn't happy with the bottom so taped it up and had another go.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0022_zpsf6uqekqs

I used these to do the top coat, just Tamiya acrylics.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0021_zpswcpit3u5

I didn't get a photo of the top colour but I cleaned all the salt off with a tooth brush then gave the shell a quick wash under the tap to clean the rest of the salt off, I used blue for the top half, made to blue up to the colour I liked, nothing to bright.

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0026_zpslac15qbz

It started as a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery IMGP0024_zpszgbo6wlp

All finished now, thanks for checking out my progress,, Smile
Morrie
Morrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down