AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

+108
Deaf as
nosaj76
Antwon
Jerry Ol'55
Torry
blatdriver
window
MM
wizz83
frank
codea
VintageJDM
BluBlood
Johno
Dino84
Jade043
ozibimmer
frozono
Brootal
luchoteam
Michaelw
Iansmodels
Murphy51
ozmodeler
silverfox
Yugster
70cudatj
bandidomotorsport
Stuntman Mike
bluedog
cdansie
spector
Siggs
otherunicorn
The Bronze
Mustang_67
Yahshu
RetrospectKustoms
Nota
dufasdave
Tubman
hqmon
Carps
Bigdaddy0
Shunter
baZOOKa
Deadly
SPIKE426
ToranaDan
ausbuilder
DeeCee
RS2000
fanof124
Bantoft
stevegt738
Adam Clark
stump
michael
ratsmann
southy
zenrat
corrupted
Captain BF
ADAMTEP
aussie muscle
xm-221
PTEAZA
modelmaker
Geoff
gxcoupe
doorslammerfan
ProBee
HDT143
mopar68
HAMMOSZED
Tillerman
mgy125
Kane
dv8v8
Clutch
spiritman
checkmate
Alfaholic
The Goose
Bear
harley fan
Andrew J
con$truktive
AJ
truges
micsmav
allan
Chris
grey six
fat141
stoongee
bennyg
miwi
Bryce
ChevyFan
tezza43
sports850
slowlylearning
ourcircus
Shoey
Marshie
Paul
ShawnS
112 posters

Page 2 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 36  Next

Go down

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 Empty Re: XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

Post by sports850 Sun 10 Apr 2011, 6:00 pm

That's simply amazing Shawn , what type of glue are you using for this and how long do you have to leave it before you can cut/file/sand/whatever ?
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2009-08-07

Back to top Go down

XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 Empty Re: XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- **

Post by harley fan Sun 10 Apr 2011, 7:13 pm

greatwork that is some very clever work mate ,you really know your stuff

harley fan
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Sun 10 Apr 2011, 11:59 pm

Awesome work buddy, good to see a Ford being scratchbuilt.
As a Ford man i love it Cool
Bear
Bear

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Goose Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:21 am

Looking great Shawn. Ill be watching this one very closely
The Goose
The Goose
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Male Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:55 am

wow

Fascinating stuff - keep up the great work!
Bryce
Bryce

Male Number of posts : 3329
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfaholic Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:30 pm

This modeling caper is very new to me but I`m hooked, its very fascinating and interesting to watch.The detail with the progress pics is outstanding.Its a great insight to what goes on with a scratch build,thanks for posting.Its a big help to my learning in this area of modeling also.
Alfaholic
Alfaholic
Glue Sniffer
Glue Sniffer

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Mon 11 Apr 2011, 6:36 pm

tezza43 wrote:Truly I am gobsmacked Shawn. This is wonderful stuff, watching a model being scratch-built this way. This forum thing is great and more people my age should be joining in IMO. I hope you don't mind, but I am collecting your information for a future story in ModelArt Australia (with your permission of course). I reckon there will be many who would be interested to see it's not only military models that are scratch-built. Thanks for your updates - go get 'em mate.

Hi Terry, I don't mind in fact I think you just gave me a reason to finish the thing. Very Happy

sports850 wrote:That's simply amazing Shawn , what type of glue are you using for this and how long do you have to leave it before you can cut/file/sand/whatever ?

Hi Ian, These are the glues I am using for this project. Two solvent glues and a bottle of CA.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4100542
Not through any real personal choice but thats pretty much all my LHS had at the time. When I'm using solvent glue I leave it overnight to dry otherwise the plastic is just too soft to work with. The plastruct glue can be a bit of a cow to work with because it evaporates quickly so you have to act fast.

Alright everyone, the first big problem has arisen. When I was starting to built the rear I thought something wasn't right but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I compared my progress with a picture of the rear of the real car and have discovered that I haven't put enough of a kink on the top half of the car.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4110544
You can see on the pic that it's a bit too straight compared to the real thing. So it looks like I may have to rescribe that body line and bend it in a bit more. I will remove the boot at the panel lines and hack off the bonnet (which I'm not happy with anyway) If it doesn't work I'll have to start again for the 4th time.
Fingers crossed it won't come to that.

CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Mon 11 Apr 2011, 6:58 pm

watching this is just jaw droping,had a XD ford sorry I sold it, popcorn you get there with in the end there are a lot of Ford fans dribbling on the key boards watching this one, rolf
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by checkmate Mon 11 Apr 2011, 8:27 pm

tezza43 wrote:I reckon there will be many who would be interested to see it's not only military models that are scratch-built.
Gees Tezza thats a big call mate considering the company your in on this forum.

Male Number of posts : 2573
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.majesticvanners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spiritman Tue 12 Apr 2011, 1:42 pm

That is amazing work. It's interesting to see the way you are tackling it, from the plan view like that.

jeebus Oh, please, please, do mould it in resin when it's finished

spiritman

Male Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Tue 12 Apr 2011, 2:22 pm

Wow Shawn, this is amazing work. Magnifico super
I'll just pull up a seat, with the rest of AMCC and watch you do your thing.
popcorn
Clutch
Clutch
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1310
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sports850 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

Actually , before you go and cut the fillet to lay the C pillars further down go have a search through your local shopping center carpark ( "honest officer , I'm not wanting to steal this falcon , I just want to look at the angle of the C pillars ....") . I was looking at an XF today and I think it looks closer to what you've already built than what's in the brochure (creative editing in the brochure ???) .
sports850
sports850
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2009-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dv8v8 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 9:04 pm

could be somethin in that, when u look at the front on pic in the left of the brochure the slope doesnt seem to b as exreme as the rear view
dv8v8
dv8v8
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 5648
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Wed 13 Apr 2011, 12:26 am

iagree They were nowhere near the angle in the brochure, much closer to what you've done, i think.
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by spiritman Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:05 pm

I Agree, find yourself one in a supermarket car park somewhere and snap a few pic's that you know aren't altered or shot with funny lenses, even the manufacturers do that in the brochures to make the product appeal to differnt audiences.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4110544

Compare the shot on the left page to the car on the right, wtf the same car showing two completely different angles?
Don't alter anything until your sure, it looks to good to stuff up now. hellyeah

spiritman

Male Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Wed 13 Apr 2011, 8:14 pm

Hi guys, Thanks for your points of view on the subject of the angle. I have decided that it just isn't right on my model. and I will be re-doing the whole thing. The main reason is that when I was drawing the boot lines, there just wasn't enough of an obvious angular look to it.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 Xexexe
I have modified the picture to give you an idea what I'm talking about. Look at the boot panel gap line, you can see on the model that the angle on the outside of the model is just too straight compared to the triangular look of the real car. The pics in the brochure are actually pretty good and it's just the angle of my photo and the red car on the red background that seems to distort it.
I would have let it go if there were no other reasons to rework it but there were a couple of other things that bothered me such as my really dodgy scribing on the door panel lines and the way I attached the bonnet to the front panels which was going to lead to way too much work to get it right. I am slightly annoyed about starting again but I will not let it bother me the slightest bit. I'll post pics soon of the redo.

Don't worry guys, I'm with this one till it's done. I don't give up that easy.
CheersSS

ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:06 pm

very inspiring work youre doing mate, cant wait to see more! Cool

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by truges Thu 14 Apr 2011, 12:59 pm

I found this image which might help - the front view appears a bit distorted though. Also the top view shows a bit of curve going through the sides.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 Ford-aus-falcon-xd-gl-1979

truges

Male Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Thu 14 Apr 2011, 8:47 pm

Ok I've started again from scratch. Same story as last time. Draw, cut, shape and then add layers.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4130549
You can see that the top section is bent inwards but straight, the centre section is flat and the bottom section is curved in to get the basis for the body shape.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4130550
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4130548
With this version I have added a thicker spine onto the inside to help keep it straight.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4130551
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4140563
The front 1/4 panels are bent inwards. Before.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4140559
After.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4140561
I have also slightly bent in the rear 1/4's as well. The thick spine is bent to match the shape of the panels before glueing with CA. That means there is no chance of the panels straightening themselves over time.
I am starting to add layers to the inside to help thicken it for the casting later.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4140564
Looking better so far. Better angles, better scribe lines cleaner all around.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4140565
Here is the hall of fame. I suppose you could call them the "proof of concepts".
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4140556
The top was the last version.
The middle two were the first serious ones. I abandoned those for a few reasons. They weren't even close to identical, one side warped and flexed and they were way too messy. In the end they were going to be too much work to get right.
The bottom one was the test run that got me thinking out loud about how I would go about it.

More updates soon,
CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by slowlylearning Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:42 pm

looking great, cant wait for more insane scratchbuilding skill in picture form! very inspiring stuff! Cool

slowlylearning
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Fri 15 Apr 2011, 12:39 am

Lookin good but please get more reference pics, cause i still recon that pic has been retouched and the boot is squarer. Sorry but it just dont look right, wish i had some pics to help out. Only going from memory, which is suss at the best of times, just ask the missus, whatshername.
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by allan Fri 15 Apr 2011, 8:41 am

What about finnding a car and take photos of it,just a thought.
allan
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 10385
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnS Fri 15 Apr 2011, 4:38 pm

Bear wrote:Lookin good but please get more reference pics, cause i still recon that pic has been retouched and the boot is squarer. Sorry but it just dont look right, wish i had some pics to help out. Only going from memory, which is suss at the best of times, just ask the missus, whatshername.

I'm fully sorted for reference pics Bear, I've got it covered from every angle and more. Trust me, it just wasn't right.

Ok, I had a half work day today so that allowed me to get some more bench time.
Started the door handles by marking out where they were to go.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150566
Scribed them out.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150568
I used a blade to gently scrape out the recesses.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150571
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150570
After all of the block sanding has been done I'll add strips of evergreen for the tops of the door handles.
I have also sanded a more rounded contour onto the bottom of the sides of the body and rear panel.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150575
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150576
and I ground out the inside of the wheel arches with the dremel.
Before.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150579
After.
XE Falcon S-Pack ** so anyway 8 years later- ** - Page 2 P4150582

Still a bit of work to do before I reach the same stage as the previous version but it's a lot better than any version before it.

Thanks for looking.
More updates soon.
CheersSS
ShawnS
ShawnS
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Kane Fri 15 Apr 2011, 10:23 pm

Your mad mate, but great work nonetheless.
Kane
Kane
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1505
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tezza43 Sat 16 Apr 2011, 10:27 am

Kane wrote:Your mad mate, but great work nonetheless.

I have to agree with my esteemed colleague, and my curiosity and fascination with this build is at a high, so keep the posts coming mate.

aus
Tezza
tezza43
tezza43
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 4318
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 36  Next